Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bruising
Posted by: Bridie ()
Date: August 30, 2009 05:09PM

Hey everyone,

Just needed some thoughts/advice. I've always bruised pretty easily, but right now its ridiculous how many small bruises I have all over my legs.

Some say its an iron deficiency. I also searched the archives here and someone posted something similar in 2006, and vitamin k/dark leafy greens were suggested.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had the same problem on raw, and what they did to fix it, or if anyone else has suggestions on what i'm missing in my diet.

Thanks!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bruising
Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 30, 2009 07:07PM

There are probably many causes for easy bruising but the one that I have heard about has to do with getting an adequate amount of bioflavonoids in your food. One good source of bioflavonoids is citrus fruits, especially the white pithy parts of the fruit found just below the peel: [en.wikipedia.org]

Re: Bruising
Posted by: tropical ()
Date: August 30, 2009 09:17PM

Yah, I bruise easy too, I look down at my legs and wonder how I got those bruises because they aren't memorable falls or bumps when I get them. Since you've always had it, I would guess that you probably have a genetic blood clotting condition - like a form of haemophilia or von Willebrand disease. This is an ecelent page about bruising and it lists a lot of causes including vitamin K deficientcy!

[pediatrics.about.com]
•von Willebrand disease - a common, although often mild, genetic bleeding disorder that can cause easy bruising, frequent nosebleeds, heavy menstrual bleeding, and bleeding after surgery.

•thrombocytopenia - a low platelet count, which can be caused when platelets aren't being produced, they are being destroyed, or when they are being sequestered in an enlarged spleen.

•Idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) - an autoimmune disorder that leads to the break down of platelets in the blood by antibodies and a low platelet count. It is usually thought to be triggered by a recent viral infection, after which young children develop large bruises and petechiae (small purple dots under the skin).

•Henoch-Schonlein purpura (HSP) - an immune disorder that can cause abdominal pain, bloody stools, joint pain, and a distinctive rash on a child's arms, legs, and buttocks that looks like bruises (purpura)

•hemophilia A (factor VIII deficiency) or hemophilia B (factor IX deficiency) - hemophilia is usually diagnosed before a child is two to five years old, when kids may have easy bruising, bleeding in joints, or excessive bleeding after a cut or dental procedure.

•leukemia - in addition to easy bruising, bleeding, and a low platelet count, children with leukemia will usually have other signs and symptoms, such as a low red cell count, fever, weight loss, etc.

•vitamin K deficiency

•a side effect of certain medications, including aspirin, seizure medicines, and some antibiotics.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables