Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Fasting
Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: August 22, 2009 01:11AM

To me fasting has helped me so much to understand my body. Go without food for a while, even
a few days then experience with food and youll see.
For example mucus forming foods, when you eat them cause flem
and mucus, post nasal drip etc. Raw fruit/veggies are completely
mucus free food or alkaline. Ive noticed after a day or more off
food that when I eat something acid or mucus forming I instantly
get mucus in my lungs and my nose runs and my sinuses clog.
During a fast the mucus is eliminated from the body so after the fast if you put
bad things in your body it produces flem to get it out. Fasting has also helped me realize
that I dont need 2000 calories a day or a lot of calories.
Calorie counting or worrying about calories is pointless if the
body isnt clean so that when you eat, the body uses the nutrients
from the food. You can eat all the calories you want but if the body
isnt able to disperse the nutrients and discard the waste properly
the food is worthless you know.I went 2 years raw and fruitarian
and felt great but still didnt feel all that great all the time
because I ate too much and didnt eat when I was hungry, I ate alot
and my digestion was constantly on overdrive especially where I was consuming about 5 or more avocados a day.For the last oh 7 months now Ive been back to SAD.
And Ive been fasting here and there and eating alot of RAW fruit and veggies.
But recently I completed a 24 hour fast and broke it with 3 microwave
burritos and a bag of dorritos followed by a couple of Dr.peppers!
Guess what happened...I was breathing free during the fast, no flem, no
mucus. I broke the fast with that junk, and INSTANTLY litterally my nose began running,
and I was coughing up FLEM! Which proves that I ate nothing there but processed JUNK that my body doesnt want!

Now I finally know what listening to the body means, if you fast then eat bad things, your body will tell you, if you eat healthy raw food your body will thrive.Re-feeding after a fast is always a great time to testdrive different foods.
I really feel we dont need much food and origionally in the beginning we didnt eat much and our bodies were clean and accepted the nutrients, but most people nowdays are clogged and full of mucus and can eat and eat but it only gets worse.I remember back when I was a kid I took a lunch to school
and I remember it was a bologna and cheese sandwich, a baggie of chips and a coke.
NEVER did I have any fruit or veggie, not even carrots or anything just the sandwich,chips and the coke. UGH! And nowdays we have microwaves and everythings processed and thats what our kids eat, even at school the food is shipped there in boxes and heated in microwaves for the kids to eat along with milk! YUK!
Anyway Im really beginning to like fasting because Im understanding my body more and more from it and that food is only fuel not a hobby.
Mono eating till full is awsome and best for digestion, try mixing things and you will see the gas and bloating, indigestion, heartburn all comes in but not when we keep it simple and not overload our stomachs, the body can use the nutrients when clean and not overtaxed.
Woo-Hoo that was kinda long! and yea I know most people here know all thease things.
But not everyone fasts eather.
Fasting is great, even for just a day.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fasting
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 22, 2009 01:37AM

"Fasting is great, even for just a day".....Roadrunner
Nice post rr. We should all do more Fasting, but many
people are afraid of it. I, for one, am a believer.....WY

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 22, 2009 02:28AM

I'm afraid of it, I think why should I fast if I don't want to do it.

SuperInfinity never does anything he doesn't want to do.

The only semi-exception to this is that SuperInfinity learned not to let others prepare or mess with his food in any way, shape or form. He would pick all his food himself if he were allowed, in this crazy world picking it from the aisle is all he can do (and if it weren't for the pesticides, it's probably not such a bad deal).

Posted by: byHIShands ()
Date: August 22, 2009 04:15AM

I think its great that you realize your fall back was not just a big mess up but simply a way to learn more about this way of life. Just wondering when you fast do you only drink water or do you do some kind of mixture drink?

Posted by: roadrunner ()
Date: August 22, 2009 04:45AM

just water

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 22, 2009 08:54AM

roadrunner

but most people nowdays are clogged and full of mucus

I think people naturally have a very thin layer of mucus in the intestines to lubricate the intestinal walls. This thin layer of mucus has a balance of bacteria in it some of which is friendly bacteria that helps digest food. Maybe as processed food is eaten, especially in complex combinations, this mucus layer becomes thicker to help protect the intestinal walls from bacteria produced from food items like putrefying meats and rancid oils. The thicker this mucus layer becomes the more it interferes with digestion and peristalses. As a person becomes cleaner there is less mucus produced and digestion and peristalses become more efficient. Just a possibility to consider.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: August 22, 2009 09:15AM

gandhi says that

fasting is like attaining eyes for the soul

i love fasting

because i am in love with clarity
its kind of a high

u know?

the razor sharp edge of everything being in incredible clear focus

can't beat the feeling

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 22, 2009 02:23PM

EZ,

That is medically correct!

roadrunner,

Your post has inspired me to plan a fast at winter's turn--thanks : )

Posted by: iamwhatiam ()
Date: August 23, 2009 04:42AM

i think i'll fast when the food i got yesterday runs out...like in 2 days.
altho i just bought noni juice and a multi-greens mix so i'm thinking i'll probably just fast with both of those and the master cleanse drink in between. any thoughts?.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 26, 2009 10:28PM

I always want to fast but find it hard to stay focused. Any ideas on how to keep yourself distracted from food and focused on the fast?

P.s on my mums account..

Domi x

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/26/2009 10:29PM by flipperjan.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: August 30, 2009 08:04AM

Good discussion. In order to fast well, one must be motivated by the idea of trying to achieve something.....not deprive one's self of something. To voluntarily give a gift to one's self. One also needs the patience to address the issues that arise during that time - and to sit with them. Just some tips.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 30, 2009 12:50PM

Road runner - thank you , you have given me much to think about.( food for thought - ha ha )

I have never fasted - because I think, maybe deep down, i was/am afraid I may not be able to do 'it'. It did occur to me the other day that i mini fast when I don't eat till lunch time. Then i read my daughter's question (Domi) and have just read the whole post.

David Z Mason - you may have cracked it emotionally for me - a gift to myself - that's beautiful - thanks so much.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: August 31, 2009 04:17AM

Roadrunner, I'm just wondering, why have you been eating SAD for the last 7 months? And do you have an opinion about why you ate all that SAD stuff right after your fast?

I'm just wondering if it's because you can't afford raw food right now, or because you've been experimenting, or because you think you have a lack of willpower, or some other reason?

It sounds like you weren't completely satisfied with your previous raw food diet, with the 5 avocados a day, and eating the wrong quantities of food, etc.

I'm just wondering, do you think some of this could be a result of not really getting enough of the necessary essential nutrients from your raw food diet?

The reason I ask is that I went through a similar period during a time when my "preferred" raw food diet was overly restrictive - at least for me. Ever since I lightened up a bit on what I allowed myself to eat raw, I lost my desire to eat weird SAD stuff. It's been many many many years since I've even considered eating anything remotely resembling a dorrito.

I agree, fasting is a wonderful healing gift. I like to fast occasionally, but as a bonus to a raw food diet - not as the whole kit and kaboodle.

Just wondering......

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables