Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

After 2 months, still waking up with a headache every day. Why?
Posted by: sixxmum ()
Date: August 29, 2009 12:07AM

It starts during the night and by morning it's horrible. After I eat and am up a few hours, it mostly seems to go away.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: After 2 months, still waking up with a headache every day. Why?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 29, 2009 12:23AM

sixxmum,

Are you sure you don't gnash/clench your teeth in your sleep? I'd say that's the most likely cause of this.

Date: August 29, 2009 12:42AM

Well, maybe, but I wonder why it just started in June... I get sinus headaches sometimes, but this doesn't really feel like sinus.

Posted by: newhoove ()
Date: August 29, 2009 01:09AM

I used to get really bad headaches everyday much like you. I found out it was a food allergy. The headaches didn't go away until I stopped eating the certain food for a few days.

Posted by: kleinphi ()
Date: August 29, 2009 01:12AM

Is it any different if you drink a huge amount of water? The few headaches I ever get often go away if I drink a lot of water.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 29, 2009 01:36AM

how soon before bed are you stopping eating? and what are doing between that time and the time you go to sleep? smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 29, 2009 02:46PM

Jodi,

I usually eat "dinner" (which is generally small - a piece of fruit or two or a smoothie) around 7 or so. After that, I do school work, sometimes a little yoga, read, and then go to bed around 11:30 and then am up around 7:00.

Kleinphi,
I'm not sure. I'll try it. Water first thing in the morning makes me gag a little, but I can suck it up : )

Newhove,
How did you find out what it was? The only thing I'm eating every day is probably banana.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 29, 2009 03:50PM

if your last substantial meal of the day is around noon because you only have a bit of food around 7 , i suspect you might be getting a bit dehydrated and a bit hungry , low blood sugar? maybe try adding some fruit juice in the evening, if you dont want to eat heavy at night, to keep you stabilized throughout the night, 7pm to 7am is a 12 hour long shift which is probably kicking up detox (headaches) for you smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2009 03:54PM by Jgunn.

Date: August 29, 2009 11:22PM

Thanks, Jodi. It actually sort of feels like a low blood sugar headache. I'll work on that.

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: August 29, 2009 11:32PM

Are you high-raw or all-raw?

Do you take any medications?

Can you give a sample of your daily diet, or a diary of two days of eating?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2009 11:33PM by Omega.

Date: August 30, 2009 12:48AM

I'm high raw at the moment (working on all).
I take many medications for rheumatoid arthritis, but nothing that has changed recently.
A typical day would be a banana and peach for breakfast; a large salad with mixed greens, cucumber, red pepper, carrots, cilantro (or other); a banana/berry smoothie or 2 pieces of fruit for dinner.

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: August 30, 2009 02:27AM

just guessing here..

i think maybe meds could be detoxing.

here is something you should know about in regards to the rheumatoid arthritis.
they have a ... get results or money back guarantee.

[www.cmorelief.com]

this one is about a mthod called tapping which help alot of folks with headache.

[www.emofree.com]

hope you get over the headaches.

jj

Date: August 30, 2009 03:08PM

sixxmum Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm high raw at the moment (working on all).
> I take many medications for rheumatoid arthritis,
> but nothing that has changed recently.
> A typical day would be a banana and peach for
> breakfast; a large salad with mixed greens,
> cucumber, red pepper, carrots, cilantro (or
> other); a banana/berry smoothie or 2 pieces of
> fruit for dinner.

Hi sixxmum,

In general, arthritic symptoms are caused by acidic deposits in the body (from acid-forming food). Your diet is now extremely alkaline which will actually heal the arthritis over time as a) your body now has a chance to detoxify the acids and b) you are no longer adding to the acidic load. As such, the arthritis medications are becoming superfluous and relatively more toxic to your body, and IMO are a likely cause of the headaches.

I would suggest consulting with your doctor about tapering off the medications. If s/he is not willing to do this due to a lack of understanding of the enormous health benefits of an alkaline diet, I would find a more nutritionally aware doctor.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/2009 03:19PM by Omega.

Date: August 30, 2009 04:16PM

Interesting, Omega. I'll have to go read more about that. Is that true for Rheumatoid Arthritis, which is an autoimmune disease that affects all of the organs (unlike osteoarthritis, which is solely joint related)?

Date: August 30, 2009 05:16PM

sixxmum Wrote:
> Interesting, Omega. I'll have to go read more
> about that. Is that true for Rheumatoid
> Arthritis, which is an autoimmune disease that
> affects all of the organs (unlike osteoarthritis,
> which is solely joint related)?

Hi sixxmum,

Here are some links for you:

RAW FOOD DIET HAS CURED MY [RHEUMATOID] ARTHRITIS: [www.mirror.co.uk]

Rheumatoid Arthritis Helped with the Raw Food Diet: [www.beautifulonraw.com]

And from [www.healthy.net]:

Raw food diet applied to rheumatoid arthritis at London Hospital

Dr Ralph Bircher also outlines the application of a raw diet, restricted in calories, to people with chronic disease, citing the dozen classic cases documented on film, in which the dietary approach developed by his father Dr Max Bircher-Benner was used at the Royal Free Hospital in London just before the Second World War.

One of these cases is outstanding in its demonstration of just what can happen when dietary restriction is applied to a serious crippling degenerative disease like rheumatoid arthritis. This involved a 55-year-old woman who had been afflicted with this condition for over two years and who was bed-ridden, unable even to sit up, and quite unable to stand, walk or use her arms or hands. She was dependent upon two people for all her needs.

For two weeks she consumed nothing but raw food, salads and fruit, following which she was allowed a little lightly cooked vegetable food as well as the raw food. For six weeks there was no change apart from the development of even more severe pains, and finally a high temperature. This was seen as the turning point, following which improvement was seen month by month until after five months she was walking with sticks. By ten months she was pain-free and had regained most of her mobility. One year after beginning the programme she was fully mobile. Ten years later, still following a 75 per cent raw food diet she was digging her garden and growing her own food.

Date: August 30, 2009 05:23PM

Thanks for the links. I started this (after 12 years of vegetarianism and 4 years as a vegan) hoping that it will help. I haven't seen any change in the arthritis symptoms so far, but it's only been 2 months. I wish there were more long-term (and large) studies of raw diet and RA (that last one is really more about the fasting), but I guess that's a lot to ask.

Posted by: musicbebe ()
Date: August 31, 2009 04:27PM

What type of greens are you using in your smoothies?

We started using lambsquarters in our smoothies and my husband and felt extremely ill...perhaps something in the soil--I hear lambsquarters can draw high quantities of nitrates out of the soil. Also, for some reason, swiss chard gives me a headache.

I would also really follow on the trail that Omega started for you.

Date: August 31, 2009 05:40PM

musicbebe Wrote:
> We started using lambsquarters in our smoothies
> and my husband and felt extremely ill...perhaps
> something in the soil--I hear lambsquarters can
> draw high quantities of nitrates out of the soil.
> Also, for some reason, swiss chard gives me a
> headache.

Swiss chard is high in oxalic acid.

For me, bitter greens can give me a headache.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2009 05:51PM by Omega.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: September 02, 2009 11:29PM

There are so many insightful answers and suggestions posted here! I have had similar trouble with headaches coming on in the night and being pretty bad by morning. Discovered for me two things could cause them, not drinking enough water or my pillow. When I corrected the first they improved. And when I got a different, much softer pillow, they vanished.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables