Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

getting off psych drugs
Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: August 27, 2009 06:31AM

hey... so I have a friend that has been taking psych drugs... for post traumatic stress disorder... but they made her gain lots of weight and she is afraid to stop taking them ... thinking all her problems will come back and i have suggested her going raw... and she wants to but she is a bit hesitant... she takes lots of vitamins and drugs... she was telling me the stories of what has caused her the problems and it sounds to me like the drugs won't really do much besides destroy her liver... anyone have any suggestions... I have told her to start slowly adding more veggies and fruit... and she seems game but she still of course smokes and drinks... and its hard for me now because being around her makes me want to smoke again and drink again... and i've even slipped a bit on the raw foods stuff... even though she is very supportive of it... I want to help her but I also want to make sure i stay on track... any suggestions for her and me???

love laugh and dream

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: getting off psych drugs
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: August 27, 2009 02:10PM

luvyuu,

I am sorry you are going through this. Is this friend someone you spend a lot of time with? If I were you, I'd have her over as much as possible, and make a sort of deal: she can eat whatever she wants at home, but at your house, mostly raw produce, some cooked, and one simple cooked non-veg thing of her choosing. I'd gradually increase the amount of raw to cooked veg, and the portions of these. I'd also encourage her to try replacing her dietary schedule at home with the one you have. The typical advice is to not subtract anything from the diet, but to add--add fruit to before breakfast, add a big salad to before lunch and dinner. If you keep adding volume to each of these servings over time, and if she does at home, eventually the sheer volume of raw pushes the cooked food off the menu. If you can, try to continue to eat mostly raw around her, to model good eating, and don't ask her to make any of these changes under duress. Just suggest them, and assert that it gets easier and easier, and hopefully she'll participate in your plan.

Date: August 27, 2009 09:32PM

Thank you Tamukha... I am actually currently living with her... and i think she's really into trying this... she even said she wanted to do a month of raw...but i think she's starting to back off little...and she seems a bit dependent on protein drinks and weight loss vitamins... so i'm trying not to be too pushy about it... and just make her stuff to try... I will pass on your suggestions and keep myself on my own track too...

love laugh and dream

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 28, 2009 04:00PM

Please.

Please.

Please.

Please get her off the neuroleptic/antipsychotic drugs.

They are 100 times worse than even the antidepressant/stimulant drugs.

Not to send you into shock too much but they cause permanent, irreversible brain damage. Be frightened of them!!!!

Date: August 28, 2009 07:04PM

Yes... this is my feeling too... but how do you do it with out sending her into too much shock... this is what we are trying to figure out... when she talks to her doc about it she says i want to give you more... what kind of irreversible brain damage are we talking about anyhow???

thank you
love laugh and dream

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 28, 2009 10:11PM

Well done for being such a supportive friend. Look after yourself well at this time.

Probably her drinking ampliflies emotional problems so maybe you could gently encourage her to cut down in this area.

Yes these drugs do cause horrible problems but don't focus on the possible side effects just focus on a gradual shift to a cleaner way of living. coming off these drugs too fast can cause all sorts of other problems - maybe some counselling at the same time as a reduction in drugs and drinking etc.

Love and positive thoughts to you both

Date: August 28, 2009 10:26PM

luvyuu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes... this is my feeling too... but how do you do
> it with out sending her into too much shock...
> this is what we are trying to figure out... when
> she talks to her doc about it she says i want to
> give you more... what kind of irreversible
> brain damage are we talking about anyhow???
>
> thank you
> love laugh and dream

I think she deserves to know the truth and the full extent. You don't have to come running to her screaming at her in the face about it, but let her know ASAP in the best way you can.

And coming off these drugs slowly is nothing to take lightly!!! The brain tries to compensate for all the UNBALANCE the drug causes, it's a last ditch effort to try to stay on the right track. If you remove all the drug straightaway without giving the brain a chance to readjust, that could cause the most damage and much more damage than slowly coming off of them.

There isn't a person alive who should be taking those things... except the people who have been on them long-term and are tapering off!!!!

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 29, 2009 03:01AM

if shes mixing these kind of meds with booze then she is making a choice to destroy her health and mind, she needs to stop drinking while taking meds , shes just messing with her whole chemical balance

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 31, 2009 03:32AM

Hey... thank you so much for all the encouragement... I did speak to her about the meds being very destructive to the brain so she understands this... I have not talked with her about the drinking and the meds... this will be the next topic of discussion... she doesn't drink everyday...so I think this is good... and she did have a salad today with out my suggestion of it... so I am hopeful she wants to change... it just takes time and support...

it's good for me as a challenge but in the same respect i'd like to have a support as well...so i thank you all for being there for me...

love laugh and dream

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: August 31, 2009 09:37AM

Well done Luvyuu - you're being a great friend. And we are all here for you smiling smiley

Posted by: ROIRRAW ()
Date: September 01, 2009 05:28PM

Maybe she could explore some essential oils(aromotherapy oils). I have been experimenting with them lately and whilst I react very quickly with most things...these are powerful. I've tried Frankincense today and am totally peaced out! But there are plenty others that deal with depression etc.. I think she should talk to a qualified aromotherapist though before trying them as they may not mix with her meds. They have surprised me though in how powerful they are. I thought armotherapy was just a bit fluffy. How wrong I was!

Also the fact she is still drinking may say a bit about her desire to extract herself from her current mental and emotional condition.To transform takes a lot of will and determination and it has to come from yourself. You've got to want it. No one else can do it for you.

Basically no more booze. Look for alternative therapies to switch from conventional medicine. Diet. E X C E R I S E every day. Gym with sauna/steam room after it would be great to change her vibration on a daily basis. and ultimately give up cigarettes.

She got to come at things from several angles and you've also got to look after your own self. You sound like a very warm and compassionate person but you've got to balance that with looking after yourself. Some people talk a good fight but ultimately aren't interested in making the sacarifices it takes to evolve ourself to higher level.
On meds. Eating crap. Drinking and smoking is a very poor path to be on.
This lady has a fair fight on her hands but the rewards would most definately be worth it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/01/2009 05:28PM by ROIRRAW.

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: September 02, 2009 01:21PM

Oh my gosh.
I really feel for her.
I have been there myself....eating junk,taking the meds,drinking on top of it.
All I can say is I never felt better since being off the drink,junk,and meds.
All the "meds" a person would want to use should be the living foods of the Earth.
I believe in that.

Suggestion would be to involve your higher power in this situation.
I have found thats the "key" to unlock the door to move in the right direction.

Vinny

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/02/2009 01:22PM by eaglefly.

Date: September 05, 2009 07:15AM

Hmm. There has been a lot of good stuff above. On the other hand, I'm a therapist, and I have seen meds help . . . but if she's taking meds for PTSD and not any psychotic symptoms, she should definitely be able to work her way off of them.

It sounds like your friend should be working closer with her psychiatrist about her medications. If she's concerned about the effects of the medications she should be working to increase her health (physical and mental) so that she can reduce and hopefully get off of them. But, in my opinion, pushing her into a raw diet without her dealing with whatever intrapsychic issues are causing her symptoms in the first place will not be effective.

I agree with others that suggest you should be modeling health and compassion, but allow her the space to find what her next steps in working with her health are going to be. Best of luck! Keep us posted!

Date: September 05, 2009 05:34PM

I disagree.

Don't go to a psychiatrist, they are all quacks, less effective than witchdoctors.

They make their money by damaging people's brains.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: September 05, 2009 06:56PM

ROIRRAW Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe she could explore some essential
> oils(aromotherapy oils).
That reminds me of a joke....Two upper-class Women
happen upon an old, down-and-out Bum sitting on a street curb.
One lady..."It looks like he could take up some hobby." Second
lady..."Yes, maybe Polo".

Date: September 05, 2009 07:28PM

so... I am not really being very pushy about the raw foods diet... it was her that had said she wanted to try doing more raw now that i am living with her... i don't say anything when she eats other things... I don't even comment when she says that she eats pretty healthy when i know better...i know it takes time... she asked me the other day how long it takes to stop having cravings for cooked foods and such... i told her... i'd let her know when it happens for me because i still crave a lot of food... I dream about plates and plates of food being placed in front of me... or i dreamt i had a bagel and coffee the other day...it was so yummy... i wonder sometimes if i am the best person to be helping her as i am still struggling myself... but i suppose i am a little further down the path so i figure i can show her the steps i have taken...

"modeling health and compassion??????????" well maybe i can show her that falling off the wagon is ok but getting back on the wagon is better... and maybe this statement will help me to get back on the wagon as i have slipped a bit...

She has been in contact with her therapist... every time she starts talking about getting off the meds the woman says oh but we haven't even gotten you to the amount we were shooting for and gives her more... so i don't know how much talking with the dr is going to help her... she says she feels a bit stronger and in a place where she can start a very slow decline of the medicine... and i have suggested that she really boost her goal towards good health so that when she does come off of the meds she is stronger to deal with it...

I did have a pretty strong conversation with her about drinking... and i think she agrees that this is not a good thing... we'll see how it goes...

I'll look into the essential oil thing.. i know it to work very well for me... and I don't the polo is an option for us either...but thanks anyhow...haha...

ok well thank you for all your support i really appreciate it...

love laugh and dream

Date: September 05, 2009 07:37PM

I have a son with the diagnosis of schizoprenia and we are looking for healthier, more natural, alternative than the medication which he refuses to take (can't blame him for that). Check out www.truehope.com. A therapy based on vitamins, aminoacids and minerals. Not sure how this therapy coincides with a raw diet (I am a raw newbie). Just thought I'd share.

Date: September 05, 2009 08:42PM

I shouldn't post this on here as it a bit too private but was going to mail you with my story jmaki to see if there could be any value in it for your son or anything worth exploring but may as well post here..

What I'll do is post my story thats a cut and paste from a past life forum where I shared it. I am in no way suggesting that past lives can cause schizophrenia in any way and my brother is on strong meds for delusions but from my own experiences past lives had me in a pretty screwed up place and I didn't even believe in them at the time. I'm not at all convinced that these mental illness's are just chemical imbalances.I think there could be deeper issues causing them but think we're living in the stone age in relation to them.

One other story first and I'm tired...Its late here so hope I don't sound short!
My sister has a kid.boy.Now 9.
Years ago she was in a market in turkey with husband and young son.Stanger came up and said that child will break your heart and walked away! Obviously freaked out by that but life went on and child lived up to that. Always causing trouble and really drove them up the walls at times.
Life rolled on. kid now 9 and this may when he finished up school for summer, the teacher called my sister aside and said she needed to get something done with him as he had a very dark side and god knows where he would end up. She was at her wits end and knew about my experiences with healer that I'll mention below and asked me if she thought she could help in any way. Her husband had just booked a psychiatric which he never actually ended up going to...
Anyway, mantioned it to the healer and she said she would do some work.SHE TOLD ME KIDS ARE FAR EASIER TO DEAL WITH THAN ADULTS BECAUSE THEIR SOUL HASN'T IMPRINTED FULLY INTO THE BODY or something along those lines.
Anyway,she did 4 or 5 sessions over the summer months and the kid changed. I swear. I couldn't believe it myself as my journey with soulwisdom has been a lot more ardurous but in a few short months he became happy and childlike.Chattering away to himself,playing with other kids etc..I'm still in disbelief to be honest but this happened.
Also one point, the healer told me on his second session that he had been a soldier in a world war and was very bitter etc.. over it and when I told my sister she said OMG, all his pictures/drawings are of soldiers, killing etc..since he was little.

Despite this and my own experiences my brother takes medication but refuses to admit there is anything wrong with him so won't explore this path.I am not saying that it could or would help him or anyone else but these have been my experiences.
My cut and paste storty....

"I'm 31 years old and from Ireland. Several years ago, I was a very unhappy, anxious and depressed young man and had tried pretty much everything to heal myself. From holosync brain meditation cds (which I still think are a fascinating product that may offer soul evolution something by entraining the brain in a state of delta-BUT HAVE READ SOME NOT SO GOOD STORIES BY USERS) Healers, excerise, self-help courses, books, mantras, blessings, ormus products..etc..etc.. The list goes on! I also went to see my doctor which recommended that I go see a psychotherapist. They tried to put me on meds but thankfully I didn't listen. I also have to add here that I was anxious, depressed etc..but I was always 'with it'. ALWAYS!

However, my older brother who I always considered to be a lot more normal than me, developed some condition about 2 years ago where he really lost it. Voices, paranoia etc. And ended up in a psychiatric ward but is now back living a normal life, but on medication which I hate.I also have a younger brother that definitely has issues too.The reason , I mention that is because after delving into my past life stuff, it became apparent to me what a troubled soul I really was and perhaps troubled souls incarnate together. For the record I have two normal sisters and a normal brother so we're not all nuts!

So, 3 years ago, or so, I found a distance healer on the internet that released past life blockages etc..www.soulwisdom.net I was very apprehensive about trying her work as I've been brought up in a strong Catholic family etc..but had no choice but give it a go. I did about 3 sessions initially and on my third one or so, I went into such a fever. I was in bed at the time and suddenly just started shaking, totally hot and cold... This was so scary and really felt like I was being shook to my very foundations. It lasted hours and left me weak and shocked for days afterwards. The report I got from her confirmed that I had been a very bad person in a past life that had done some terrible things and that was the guilt being released from it. I still don't know how to handle knowledge of past life misdeeds. I view myself as just me in this life that somehow got lumbered with all this stuff. Perhaps I needed to!

Anyway, after that session I was hooked so to speak.I have done a lot of releases over the following 2 1/2 years and dealt with many issues. None were as intense as that, but ALL have an incredibly difficult follow up integration period. Sometimes many weeks of crying every day, bands of head tension on the forehead, loss of energy, emotionally turbulent in a very turbulent way! Also, when my brother was in the psychiatric ward she viewed him remotely and did some gentle work on him but he's just not interested or even believes in past lives but she said his issues come from there too. Without meaning to sound like a whatever, I really had to be a warrior to pursue this so relentlessly for so long. I've had people look at me like I was something on the end of a shoe when I've been a mess from integrations but I haven't cared. I knew this was a shot in a million and I was taking it!

She also teaches people how to enact these releases themselves. Its not a special ability so to speak but does take a lot of practice to develop it.

So where am I now? I am in a far better place on every level. I've had a reading done with a spirit guide that recommended that I explore shamanic healing as it was a similar to the work I was doing but may be more effective.This reading was the reason I stopped doing the above sessions but I needed a break (badly!) anyway, but on reflection am not 100% it was a real reading. I am still glad of the break and will look at shamanic healing but do feel I want to go deeper. For the record, this lady healer told me I was very easy to give sessions to. Everyone is different and some respond more positively than others.

Its probably six months since my last session but I still release a lot of the time. Tears every couple of days that are just a cleansing from my spirit. Not crying for any reason...

Also, just now its becoming more apparent to me that I have a gentle peace in my heart emerging. It took a while to notice it because there are no bells and whistles with peace but its nice being able to live with myself again. I also feel like I've somehow earned my respect by pursuing this path and these releases so relentlessly and it really does take something great to forgive yourself and move on. So now I'm in a recovery period place. I am vegetarian, living on a raw food diet, exercise everyday and have a smile in my heart.

I do ponder thoughts of 'home' a lot and don't feel I am from here, planet earth but have no idea is that me being a bit melodramatic or not. I definitely want to look at past lives again but not for some months yet. Its hard being able to see the impact of them on close people to you yet understanding that dealing with them takes a lot."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2009 08:43PM by ROIRRAW.

Date: September 05, 2009 11:38PM

If she is talking to her doc about wanting to get off the meds and her doc isn't listening, it is time for her to find a different doc. Not all psychiatrists are the same; I hope she feels empowered to find one that can support her goals smiling smiley.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: September 06, 2009 01:38AM

I've known legal and illegal Drug users, and haven't
met one who wanted to quit using. There's a lot of grief to experience
if you try to help a Drug User....even a cooked food Junkie. I've
found it's best to keep quiet.
Something else I've noticed at this Forum is everyone seems to
have a Doctor, or more than one. Personal question....Is there
anyone here, besides me, who doesn't have a Doctor??.....WY

Date: September 06, 2009 04:35AM

one more point jmaki and thats this website...
[www.metatones.com]

I have absolutely no experience of it but read about it on this thread [centerpointe.yuku.com]
and thought it sounded very interesting. Its obviously difficult to explore cutting edge things like this with schizophrenia but may be at least worth talking to the guy that runs it.I am 90% sure that I read about a program where they ran it in an african school class of dysfunctional kids with great success. I think I read about him recomending past life clearing work to run alongside their program too in certain instances so that may not be as far out there either as it sounds. Really hope your son finds a way to heal himself.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables