Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

soaking sprouts in sea water
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: August 28, 2009 01:34PM

i heard Brian Clements talking recently about soaking sprouts in sea water... was wondering where you'd get that from ... (pref UK source)

I wonder if maybe I could use the soak water from sea veg...?

btw, Clements was also talking about how sea salt is totally bad for you and unnatural etc etc - then I looked on his site and half the 'raw' foods he's selling (crackers etc) are covered in salt... lol

also, what do you make of this ( I got it off a sprouting website):
[www.real-foods.net]
'Soak the seeds, grains, or beans in room temperature water overnight. In the morning, pour off the water in the jar and rinse the seeds/beans again. If you're brave, you can drink this "seed tea." It's loaded with vitamins, but can be a bit strong for a novice.'
- I see this a lot, but get conflicting opinions - like it's actually toxic to drink, etc

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: soaking sprouts in sea water
Date: August 28, 2009 01:44PM

ah, it's ok, I found some -
[www.detoxyourworld.com]

bit pricey tho :-O

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: August 28, 2009 02:40PM

lisa m

i heard Brian Clements talking recently about soaking sprouts in sea water
I do a variation on that theme. I put some sea salt into the water I give to my wheat grass for the nutrients the WG is able to absorb and incorporate into the plant structure and also to inhibit mold in growing.

'Soak the seeds, grains, or beans in room temperature water overnight. In the morning, pour off the water in the jar and rinse the seeds/beans again. If you're brave, you can drink this "seed tea."
I have heard that what is in the seed soak water is mostly enzyme inhibitors and is not a good drink.

I think that Marine Phytoplankton is a food to be eaten. Take a look at their "Usage Recommendations" on your link. If you don't want to take it under the tongue you could try putting it into juice or smoothies.

Posted by: thenewguy ()
Date: August 28, 2009 02:44PM

Hmmm... that's interesting. I assumed that salt water would kill land plants and somehow retard any sprouting.

Date: August 30, 2009 01:09AM

EZ - thanks, good idea about the sea salt in the WG, I'll give it a whirl, I wonder if it would work with other sprouts? ( I'd always thought the same as newguy, it doesn't seem like it would be good for them...)

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 30, 2009 11:49AM

i don't think seeds need any help with nutrients, they are a complete package. i can see using some trace minerals or something in the rinse water once they're sprouted i guess but that seems very unneccessary to me. maybe if you are making soil bound sprouts like baby greens, otherwise what a waste. better to take those trace minerals yourself!

and no thank you, i'll not be drinking any seed soak water. full of yucky crap you want to wash away, not worth having your body sort that out from anything beneficial.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: August 30, 2009 02:02PM

lisa m Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> btw, Clements was also talking about how sea salt
> is totally bad for you and unnatural etc etc -
> then I looked on his site and half the 'raw' foods
> he's selling (crackers etc) are covered in salt...
Are you sure you don't mean David Wolfe? Brian
Clement is not in the business of selling Food.....WY

Date: September 03, 2009 10:35PM

Hi Wheatgrass Yogi - yes it was Brian's site:

[store.hippocratesinst.org]

David Wolfe loves sea salt, lol, he's always recommending it smiling smiley

Date: September 03, 2009 10:55PM

i can't find an ingredients list.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: September 03, 2009 11:44PM

Well, a four hour soak of lentils in 100% north Atlantic seawater killed them as some of you expected (I had to try). Lentils soaked in 5% seawater sprouted beautifully and are going strong 4 days later. I've taken a couple sips of sea water and it is keeping well even left out at room temp.

Date: September 04, 2009 01:22AM

lisa m Wrote:
> Hi Wheatgrass Yogi - yes it was Brian's site:>
> [store.hippocratesinst.org]
Yep....you're right. I'm very surprised....
how disappointing!! I notice other things at his 'store'
that aren't optimum. From now on, I'll take everything
Brian Clement says with a grain of salt. I hate it.....WY

Date: September 04, 2009 01:52AM

where are you guys seeing an igredients list? i can't find out what is in those crackers... how do you know if they are salty or not?

Date: September 04, 2009 02:47PM

yes wheatgrass it's a shame, but I find it's always best to take everything everyone says with a pinch of (sea) salt lol... especially where money is involved..

loeve, thanks for the experimentation! seems like a weak solution is the key?

coco - do you really need to find an ingredients list for stuff like 'celtic sea salt almonds'... haha grinning smiley

[store.hippocratesinst.org]

Date: September 04, 2009 03:10PM

nope, not that one i don't. interested in all the rest of them though, if it's only one item with salt it could easily be something requested by customers that they are choosing to make available. i like to have the whole picture before i cast judgement. i've met brian lots of times and he has always impressed me with his knowledge and earnestness so i'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt.

Date: September 04, 2009 09:05PM

ooh, I found something really interesting:

from this website:
[www.aliveraw.com]

"And I pioneered—with the influence of Dr. Maynard Murray,
whose books See Energy Agriculture—he was a medical doctor, saw sever mineral
depletion of the soil, and he decided to do something about it and he saw that
the ultimate way was to bring back the minerals out of the ocean back to the
soil. So, he experimented with dilutions of sea salt—sea water crystals, he
calls them—and basically he found that’s the only fertilizer the land
needed—only fertilizer—no insecticides, pesticides were required to grow perfect
vegetation, perfect fruit trees, perfect nut trees.

Result was I incorporated in my sprouting procedures. I used to do expos on
feeding as many as 5000 people on a single weekend with a team of about 10
people. We would do all the preparatory work and come in. Having a complete
raw food restaurant at the expo, we use to have the busiest booth because our
foods were colorful, tasty, gave you high volume of energy and I had a great
rap. And so, we were quite busy and the sprouting—sometimes I came in with
300-500 pounds of sprouts basically grown with sea water. They had sea salt.
They had the highest keeping quality. My sprouts kept on shelves practically
twice as long. They had a crunchier, sweeter taste and basically, they just
were vibrationally higher. But eugenics, when you do research, you’ll find Dr.
Maynard showed that when you use full spectra mineralized nutrient dense foods,
then you overcome also genetic damages and he, in particular, did work with
mice."

I couldn't find anything where he mentions the best dilutions to use though...

loeve, are you talking about sea water that you just got yourself from the sea? (apologies if this is a really stupid question!) or did you get some fancy stuff in a bottle?

Hey coco, I checked out the hippocrates cracker situation smiling smiley as far as I can see all the crackers contain salt, as do the nuts, trail mix and sunflower bread.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/04/2009 09:06PM by lisa m.

Date: September 05, 2009 01:46AM

lisa m Wrote:
> ooh, I found something really interesting:
>
> from this website:
> [www.aliveraw.com]
> rates-Health-Institute-by-Viktora.aspx?rid=0022
Thanks, lisa m. My Faith has been restored in Brian
Clement after hearing Viktoras Kulvinskas speak on the History-
of-Hippocrates. I had no idea how Ann Wigmore, Vik, and Brian
were connected. I'd heard some bad things about Brian's dealings
with Ann, but Vik paints a pleasant picture. It was interesting
to me, but most here would be bored silly...almost an hour he
rambled. Vik is quite intelligent.....WY
P.S. You made my Day.
P.P.S. Some may like to hear Brian's introduction to how they do
it at Hippocrates. His lectures on AliveRaw.com are outstanding.

[www.aliveraw.com]

Date: September 05, 2009 02:23AM

Viktorus is a dynamo, the times I have heard him speak he just knocks the socks off people. He is enlivened with some kinda crazy powerful energy that guy. My mom had a copy of his 21st Century book when I was growing up, somewhere I have a picture of all of us holding it at a lecture at the sprouty house I used to manage.
Brian Clement is much more staid and his lectures can feel like that, a lecture. He is a great public speaker, don't get me wrong, but he can be a bit dry. Best source of scientific info yet though, the man knows his stuff.

Thanks for the link Lisa. I read every word, it sounded just like him. What a sweetheart.

Date: September 05, 2009 03:19AM

lisa m Wrote:
> I couldn't find anything where he mentions the
> best dilutions to use though...
>
> loeve, are you talking about sea water that you
> just got yourself from the sea? (apologies if
> this is a really stupid question!) or did you get
> some fancy stuff in a bottle?

Yes, Lisa, it was natural seawater I gathered from the Atlantic just last Sunday. The Dr. Murray approach of using dried sea solids (unprocessed sea salt?) diluted with plain water is really interesting. From his book Sea Energy Agriculture - 1976 --

"Early in the experimental game I learned that hydroponics-which is feeding nutrients to plants without soil-gave me better control over the plant diet. Dried, natural sea solids were dissolved in plain water, using approximately 112 pounds of sea solids to 10,000 gallons of water-a damn economical mix. The only nutrition my experimental crops received was sea solids in solution, which bathed their roots a few times each day. The plants flourished as no plants have flourished in this modern day of fertilized soil. The contrast in the experimental crops with the control crops grown by normal commercial methods was truly exciting. The taste difference was very significant, especially in tomatoes and carrots. The production rate was considerably higher and the resistance to disease was apparent."

By my calculations, 112 lbs of sea solids in 10,000 gallons converts to 112 lbs / 83,300 lbs. of water which is 1 part sea solid to 744 parts water.

Atlantic sea water has a salinity of about 3.5% so is about 1 part "sea solids" to 29 parts water so for hydroponics Dr. Murray might have diluted my 100% natural sea water using about 4% sea water and 96% plain water.

So Dr. Murray was mostly into "sea solids". Brian Clements is into sea water? Hmmm, I suppose there are important differences.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/05/2009 03:32AM by loeve.

Date: September 05, 2009 10:07AM

glad you liked the link WY and coco smiling smiley it's an interesting story, huh? I personally find it quite difficult to listen to Brian Clement's lectures, he comes across rather rude and patronising to me... I'm sure he's a nice guy really though, he was kind enough to let me interview him for my dissertation.

loeve, thanks for the info! it's exciting to think a touch of sea salt could make all that difference... I guess proper sea water is the best, but I don't currently live near enough to the sea to gather any... plus I wouldn't be too sure of the cleanliness of it around here... so sea salt seems to offer a good solution.

Date: September 06, 2009 07:31PM

lisa m Wrote:
>
> loeve, thanks for the info! it's exciting to
> think a touch of sea salt could make all that
> difference... I guess proper sea water is the
> best, but I don't currently live near enough to
> the sea to gather any... plus I wouldn't be too
> sure of the cleanliness of it around here... so
> sea salt seems to offer a good solution.

I agree, sea salt should be just about as good and maybe better considering. The only difference is in the iodine and plankton, the sprout not requiring either. Dr. Murray began his experiments in land-locked Chicago, Illinois and stayed with the sea-solids even when relocated to Florida.

Just a touch of sea salt -- we say just a pinch or smidgeon?, not even enough to taste I should think...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/06/2009 07:36PM by loeve.

Date: September 12, 2009 09:10AM

Just wanted to report, I used 'sea' water to soak my sprouts (4 teaspoons of sole in 1/2 litre of water, after much scratching of head & scribbling sums on paper) and I'm pleased to say they seem to really like it! Growing well and seem to be much more evenly sprouting than I get usually. So, good news so far! smiling smiley

ps, if anyone's unfamiliar with sole, here's a link:
[stanford.wellsphere.com]

Date: September 14, 2009 12:47PM

That's so cool, Lisa. I was unfamiliar with 'sole' so watched the video then looked at Barbara Hendel's book (from the video) on Amazon [www.amazon.com] I like the way she approaches water and salt together, how all life (plants too) originated in the sea.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables