Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw/vegan & menses
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 05, 2006 04:33PM

what do y'all think?

[www.waldorfhomeschoolers.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw/vegan & menses
Date: July 05, 2006 07:50PM

i ask because since doing both vegan/raw, i havent had a period in the 2 months ive been 100% dedicated about living this lifestyle. i am a healthy girl so there is nothing wrong but i have noticed that fact obviously! winking smiley

Posted by: lilpaws ()
Date: July 06, 2006 09:01PM

did you get your period regularly before going raw?
i was never regular and since going raw i haven't either..

Date: July 07, 2006 01:55AM

very regular. i noticed after becoming pregnant with our third child i became more health concious. i stopped eating red meat & things of that sort. after the birth i decided to continue a vegatarian diet. i have evolved from that to raw foodist. i started becoming irregular when i became vegatarian. since going raw, it has not started.

Posted by: mallow ()
Date: July 07, 2006 03:27PM

I was regular for about my first two years of having a period, but then it became quie unpredictable. I would miss periods, and they would bounce around quite a bit. I've been r/v for about 14 months, and I've only had one in that time.

Date: July 07, 2006 08:52PM

Sounds dangerous to lose your fertility! If you lose your fertility it means that you don't have enough body fat to support a baby so your body goes into conservation mode and discontinues non-essential processes temporarily. This sometimes happens to women swimmers and athletes who lose too much body fat. The good news is that it's usually reversable. smiling smiley

My girlfriend's menstrating right now. It's not such a big deal, she has no pain or discomfort really (from what she tells me), sure we gotta go a couple days without sex but it's just the sweeter afterwards. smiling smiley

Posted by: Lillianswan ()
Date: July 08, 2006 01:04AM

It's not fertility that's lost, ovulation still occurs, it's just that the separation of the womb's lining is bloodless, probably because healing is faster, maybe?

Posted by: coco-mama ()
Date: July 08, 2006 02:19AM

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

i am so sick of the turning up here. if you have been totally raw for 5-7 years, living in a very clean environment with pure air and water, doing yoga every day, and being perfect it might be ok for you to lose your period.

if you lose it within the first few years of changing your diet and lifestyle, and ESPECIALLY during the first few weeks or month, hello, your body is in crisis.

slow down, be mindful of your body. listen to the message that you are getting, that you're not supporting your physical self enough to maintain your natural and neccessary functions. losing your period, loose teeth and falling out hair are ALL signs of malnutrition and disfunction in the body.

it always surprises me how someone can suffer one, never mind two or three, of these symptoms and persist in thinking that they are OK and everything is fine.
slow down already, increase your raw incrementally, don't detox so fast, be a bit more gentle. and for goodness sake, stop justifying sickness by calling it "detox". it makes us all look like extremist morons.

narz, what are you even talking about? that's the BEST time for sex. in so many ways.

Posted by: juicegirl ()
Date: July 08, 2006 02:20PM

I must agree that missing your menses is not a positive sign for your bodily functions. A womens body experiences a monthly/regular period for many reasons. This does not mean that a menses has to be painful, heavy, and/or debilitating, yet it simply must happen. Beyond a new extreme diet, stress could also be the culprit. Slow down you transition and relax...enjoy the transition period.

Date: July 08, 2006 06:27PM

oh my please do me a favor & do not talk down to me. i KNOW my body. i have read much on the subject. i came here posting the link to see if other women have had the same things ive experienced. i was curious. i appreciate your input but do not talk down to me.

Date: July 08, 2006 06:29PM

my above reply is for coco-mama.

Date: July 08, 2006 08:22PM

girl, don't read into it what isn't there. i'm not talking down to anybody, i was addressing the topic at large. what i said stands, ceasing menstruation any sooner than five years of clean living is way too early. and yes, i am heartily sick of this topic showing up and people actually imagining that it could be anything other than disfunction. i wish the archives was still here, this has been discussed at length over the last few years.

Posted by: marika ()
Date: July 09, 2006 10:08PM

Hey hey. So I have an idea. Maybe coco- mama is overlooking one thing. Maybe if you are young enough and your body detoxes fast it is an okay thing! Because after all if you are young enough you CAN within a matter of weeks become as healthy as someone who is older and been raw vegan for years. You know? I mean I have been raw for a few months now and pretty much right away I did not get my period. I got it once, a week into eating raw.

But I want to throw that out there but to more address my concern is...
I just found out I am pregnant though but I don't think I have been pregnant the whole time. At least I hope not! I really do agree with transitioning into things now. I am not sooo strict about stuff as I was. I am pretty strict. I definitely do not eat meat and eat at least 80 percent raw vegan. But umm...do you all know any way I can figure out before I get a sonagram how pregnant I am and how likely you all think it is that I just got pregnant and that my not getting my period before WAS just because of diet change. Let's say I am just a couple of weeks pregnant. Would I be feeling pregnant yet? And if I I have been pregant since the end of April how can I tell?
Thank yee,
Marika

Date: July 09, 2006 11:26PM

the opinion i expressed is not mine alone but also that of brian clement, director of the hippocrates institute in florida. i just happen to agree. now, if you think that somehow brian is underqualified to make such a statement, go ahead and imagine that it's "just detox". i think that's naive, personally, and perhaps even dangerous.

marika, a sonogram is likely more dangerous to you and your baby than anything you've been going through during your transition. there are some wonderful books out there to guide you through a natural pregnancy if you so desire. here are a few that i found most helpful:
spiritual midwifery by ina may gaskin
prenatal yoga and natural birth by jeannine parvati baker
unassisted childbirth by laura kaplan shanley (her website is amazing)
and primal mothering in a modern world by hygeia halfmoon.

i didn't go to a doctor or midwife at all during my pregnancy and i birthed my son unassisted at home in the tub. it may sound unbelieveable to you at first but surely no more so than eating nothing but raw foods did. explore your possibilities.
(i'll post this in your other thread as well).

Posted by: NorCal Courtney ()
Date: March 06, 2014 07:45PM

coco-mama, when you write posts with all capitals and multiple exclamation points, it comes across asvery aggressive... keep that in mind for future posts

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables