Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

keeping avocado?
Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: September 20, 2009 03:00PM

Can you store a ripe avocado in the fridge? If so, how long will it keep?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: keeping avocado?
Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: September 20, 2009 03:42PM

With the skin on maybe 5 days.
Without the skin(made into a dip) it starts to turn in only about two days.
I heard somewhere that if you mash it into a dip,it will keep longer if you place the pit into the container.

Vinny

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: September 20, 2009 05:39PM

Depends on how ripe the fruit is before you put it into the fridge. If it is supersoft, it may not last two days. If is is slightly soft, it may last 3 days before rotting.

I found that if you cut an avocado in half and only use half, the avocado stays fresher if you leave the pit in the remaining half and put the empty half shell on it. The remaining half will keep until the next day. The same works if you only use part of that first half and then "cap" the remaining half section.

As a side note, I usually like to buy one ready for immediate use and another (or so) that is hard that I can ripen in a brown paper bag until ripe for future use.

Good luck. Therese

Date: September 20, 2009 06:03PM

great thank you so much. I love avo's but can't eat a full one and I'm the only one who eats them in my house. I hate to waste. I'll try it, thanks for the tipssmiling smiley

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: September 20, 2009 06:53PM

if you find you still dont get to it in time to eat it ..mash it up, slather it on your face and drape a nice steamy facecloth over top of that leave on for 5 minutes or so and rince off .. it makes your face feel really nice smiling smiley

and no waste smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: September 20, 2009 07:24PM

I agree with Life and the other posters. If it's ripe when you peel it, I would try to eat the remainder within 2 days.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: life101 ()
Date: September 20, 2009 07:35PM

Lizard, You're welcome. I forgot to mention that I put the uneaten avocado in plastic or a covered container when storing a partially opened one. As an aside, I love avocado, alfalfa sprouts, and tomatoes in a sandwich. Therese

Date: September 20, 2009 08:53PM

Yummy, your "sandwich" sounds delicious. And thanks Jgunn, you're right, what a nice facial or scalp treatment. You guys and gals are awesomesmiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables