Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

heartening to read raw food endorsed
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: September 27, 2009 08:42AM

Usually I get really irritated in running and cycling mags. - by the nutrional advice given for top performance - you know the kind of thing - Salmon for omega's, pasta for endurance etc etc.

So I was really pleased to see the following

out - boiled veg
in - steamed or raw veg

The article finished by saying : boiling foods leaches out all the vitamins and minerals from them, destroying roughly 40% of B and 70% of C vitamins. Steaming your veggies will protect them from such drastic losses. Try leaving them al dente, or for the best nutrient retention, you can of course have them raw.

It was this last sentance that surprised and pleased me so much hence my sharing it with you - cos some days I really think there is no hope for the planet at all.

Have you got stories of where or when you have been surprised by the raw message getting 'out there'

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: heartening to read raw food endorsed
Posted by: The Fruit Faery ()
Date: September 27, 2009 09:33AM

I met a woman (late 50's early 60's) whilst walking my dogs.
We started talking about how sick my puppy had been and how the vomiting ceased when placed on a diet of raw fruit and veggies.

The woman was not at all surprised and went on to explain that she had been raised to only ever eat raw fruit until lunch time and to eat a little salad with all cooked food. (She and her 2 sisters are vegetarians)

She had stuck to this principle and felt that it kept her supple and healthy, especially compared to her friends of a similar age.

She also said that she rarely mentions her diet to others as she finds it difficult not to be placed into the position of defending or appearing to preach!
It was a refreshing change to meet someone on a similar path.
ffx

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: September 27, 2009 02:54PM

flipperjan,

I still have about 60 issues of bodybuilding and fitness magazines from back in the 80's.At this point in time its fun to look thru one every once in a while to see what was said in them.
As far as raw foods,the common theme was eat your salad.Like raw was a small "side dish" in what should otherwise be plenty of boiled pasta,and broiled fish,like you mentioned.There was no feeling that the small little bowl of salad (iceberg lettuce and a few chunks of tomato) should have been the WHOLE meal.
"Low fat" dominated the scene above all else.And of course,plenty of pushing all the supplements and powders and capsules.(which I myself spent EASILY in the 4 figures for over the span of several years,and it didnt do a thing in making me look like a pro bodybuilder,even with vomit inducing workouts).

I think Raw eating is slowly catching on.I think its always been there,but with things like the internet it must be getting around much more than before.

What paople eat is such a deep personal and sensitive issue,and I think people at large are just ruled by one thing...........taste.

Vinny

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: September 30, 2009 04:45PM

eaglefly says:

<<Like raw was a small "side dish" in what should otherwise be plenty of boiled pasta,and broiled fish,like you mentioned.There was no feeling that the small little bowl of salad (iceberg lettuce and a few chunks of tomato) should have been the WHOLE meal.>>

HA HA. That's hilarious!

Posted by: iamwhatiam ()
Date: October 01, 2009 08:38PM

even going vegan seems way extreme for some people. i was watching some show the other day, where alicia silverstone came on and was talking about her vegan lifestyle and how she could not imagine eating dairy and meat again. she's even put out a vegan cook book...hey its a start.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables