Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

What is Rejuvelac?
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: October 06, 2009 09:45PM

Was reading a bit about this, but couldn't find the definition or how to make it or if it is even GOOD for us. Thanks.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What is Rejuvelac?
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: October 07, 2009 01:03AM

plainlydressed Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> .....couldn't find
> the definition or how to make it or if it is even
> GOOD for us.
It's the fermented soak-water from Wheat Berries.
Stay away from it. This is why Ann Wigmore and Brian Clement
had their falling out. She insisted on serving it to the Hippocrates
clients, and Brian knew it wasn't the thing to do. They both
agreed on Wheatgrass Juice......WY

Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: October 07, 2009 11:38AM

Ah, I see. Thanks.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 07, 2009 01:29PM

WY,

The only problem I've had with rejuvelac is that it sometimes "turns" before I realize it and must be used to water the houseplants instead : ) When I've been diligent about it, I've found it pleasant--kind of like the kiseel that Slavic people make by fermenting a crust of rye bread in warm water. This is considered an invigorating pick-my-up, especially during religious fasts, and has been drunk since ancient times. The resulting liquid, in either case, is not high in Brian Clement's mortal enemy, sugar, so why would he have had a problem with it?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/07/2009 01:29PM by Tamukha.

Posted by: brome ()
Date: October 07, 2009 02:19PM

The critics are right about most rejuvelac but if you use the following it should turn out well:

For 1000's of years people have been making fermented drinks from grains. Most often leading to beer. But after 1 or 2 days of fermentation the weak beer is rejuvelac, rich in enzymes, nutrients, and beneficial microflora. Many of the traditional beer making principles when applied to make rejuvelac give a very superior product: Soak grain for 12 hrs, drain, water plants with soak water, sprout until grass shoot is the length of the grain (about 4 days)(grain should be sweet to the taste)(don't rinse after the initial soak), take a few tbs of sprouts and blend with quart of water, let ferment a couple of days, (it should be bubbling vigorously and have a pleasant tart taste), drink, refill with water, ferment, drink, a few times till it is spent, keep the sprouted grain in the refrigerator and repeat. I like to use rye.
The Indians of the Amazon rainforest make a fermented drink as the above recipe but instead of blending the grain they chew it (the saliva aids in releasing more sugars) and then add it to the brew.

Posted by: pampam ()
Date: October 07, 2009 03:08PM

I started out useing rejuvelac and found it a useful food source. It seemed to help with digestion. I noticed it had nutrients that I could not aquire with just salad. When drinking it I felt a balance in my system. You know I think I am going to start up some maybe that is what I am missing and maybe useing rejuvelac will help me keep on trac. I keep falling off the wagon.
One thing with rejuvelac is it can go bad and when that happens it smells like sewer water. Very unappealing. I don't know why Brian Clement does not use it but I do know I respect what Ann Wigmore taught and I keep finding myself going back to what she taught more oftain than any other raw food leaders. I keep forgetting about rejuvelac.
When I make rejuvelac I make sure I disenfect the containers I use before sprouting I think this is a very important step that some people overlook. You just pour boiling water in the sprouting jar and pour it out let the jar cool and start the sprouting process. Make sure you use good clean water and the sprouting will be a sucess.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: October 07, 2009 03:14PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WY,
> .....The resulting
> liquid, in either case, is not high in Brian
> Clement's mortal enemy, sugar, so why would he
> have had a problem with it?
Here's an excerpt from a Victoras Kulvinskas
lecture on the early days of the Hippocrates Health Institute
explaining the problem Brian Clement had with Ann Wigmore over
Rejuvelac.

".......Brian performed outrageously well and basically they ended up having
difficulties with another at a certain point and because Ann had basically
relatively non-scientific orientation and was taking some postures that were not
necessarily the most advantageous, though intuitively they worked well with Ann
who had the constitution of an elephant and, as a result, things that might work
with a singular individual, might not work with everybody else. Such as
rejuvelac, being a good example, which is very acidifying and unless you have a
strong kidney, it certainly is not something you want to subject everybody who
is basically coming from a wide acidic dietary habit to continue on with this
product; and the issue of supplements, etc., etc., and as a result, Wigmore and
Brian Clement broke their ways."

Vik Kulvinskas' full Lecture, which is quite lengthy, may be found
at Brian Clement's website....AliveRaw.com...type in the keyword 'Rejuvelac'.
A very long extemporaneous talk....but, in my opinion, a true 'Masterpiece', and well worth the time to listen.......WY

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 07, 2009 03:53PM

WY,

I am shocked to hear that rejuvelac is considered acidifying! I wonder why that would be, as it's the culture of a sprouted grain? Thanks for posting the info about the lecture; I'll view it when I have time.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables