Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Vitamin D2 or D3 supplements or sources??
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: October 06, 2009 09:27PM

I've been reading about the need for this and am looking for vegan RAW sources for this nutrient. However, if it cannot be found easily in vegan food sources, do you recommend a supplement? I've only found D2 to be made from vegan sources, but D3 is made from animal products or from sheeps wool.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vitamin D2 or D3 supplements or sources??
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: October 07, 2009 07:28AM

I think the sunshine will provide all the vit D that you need. It doesn't need to be very much to be effective.

Date: October 07, 2009 11:37AM

That's fine if you live in warmer climate, but I live in the north with very cold and rain literally every day all summer. I already know that it comes from sunshine. I'm looking for supplement sources.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 07, 2009 01:24PM

plainlydressed,

As far as I know, there are no activated(D3) supplements that are vegetarian. Obviously, D2 has to be premetabolized in an animal's liver to be active. I'd just go with the veg D2 supplement and assume that your liver will convert it adequately. In a previous discussion about this many months ago, I suggested investing in a sunless tanning bed or Happy Light type of device that can help the body uptake D. I don't have one, but being as winters are getting gloomier and gloomier here in the north, I am seriously considering it.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: October 07, 2009 02:38PM

plainlydressed - where do you live?

I'm not arguing with you about your need to supplement I am just interested in where the cut off point might be for adequate amounts of sunshine.

Posted by: petrichor ()
Date: October 07, 2009 05:12PM

Tamukha- what is your stance on using tanning beds? Aren't they much more harmful (and much less beneficial) than the actual sun? Are the benefits even close? Recent studies have shown them to be as dangerous as cigarettes, but at the same time the media puts out a bad rep for actual sunshine, so it's hard for me to judge.

Date: October 07, 2009 06:16PM

Flipperjan, I live in central PA and we have not had 2 consecutive sunny days all summer long. It has rained here in my area almost every single day most of the summer fall. Very depressing. I've heard that even the Farmer's Almanac is calling for a whopper winter with extreme cold temps and lots of snow for the northeast, so I'm just getting prepared. I had the mother of all Flus AND Pneumonia the last 2 winters in a row, but I'm hoping that a job closer to home with less commuting, combined with my new RAW diet will really boost my immune system. I am also a nurse and very concerned about pending flu shot requirements, which I will refuse, but am concerned about my health and my job. *sigh* (THANK YOU GOVERNMENT!!) I'm in the process of getting my immune system as strong as possible for whatever is soon to come. Plus, working in the healthcare field, I am around sick people all day long. Ugg...

I understand and agree that it only takes a few minutes of sunshine to get the required amounts of Vit D in our system, but that has been nearly impossible in our area, even during this summer, as we've had nothing by rain, and it will be even less available to me come winter.

Thanks so much for all the input and suggestions.

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 07, 2009 09:50PM

plainlydressed,

Good lord, no! I am referring to things like the SunSplash D lite system, which is not a tanning bed, per se, but a broad spectrum light treatment. It doesn't tan you; it emits UV rays to trick your body into manufacturing Vitamin D.

[ezinearticles.com]

Date: October 07, 2009 11:50PM

Wow that's fascinating. Never heard of such a thing. Just read the article on the link above and will look into it more. I'm sure it's very expensive, but I'll definitely look into it. Thanks so much for sharing. The idea of a TAN without the cancer and aging, but with all the benefits of the REAL sunshine with Vitamin D inducing effects, it almost sounds too good to be true. Thanks so much for the information. =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 08, 2009 12:23AM

This is a good reason why I want to increase my Vit D intake or creation. =)

[articles.mercola.com]

—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: October 08, 2009 04:50AM

Plainly dressed - Where is 'PA'?

(flipperjan and I live in UK - we don't know all the US initials, or at least I don't know that one :-))

Date: October 08, 2009 12:51PM

I'm so sorry debbietook. PA is for Pennsylvania. I'm sure it is equally as gloomy and dreary over your way as well. This type of weather is not "normal" for this part of the USA. Our summers are normally mild, warm, and very sunny with scattered rain. And our winters in this area are usually the same, with plenty of sunshine, occasional storms with snow/ice, but very cold!!! This particular spring, summer, and fall has been unusually cold, wet, and rainy for us, which is probably quite "normal" for you folks over there. =) And I hear rumors that it will be a very bad, hard winter for us as well. I'm actually excited about that because I LOVE SNOW and just bought a new 4-wheel-drive vehicle, so I'm excited to PLAY PLAY PLAY. *LOL* But I still want my VITAMIN D !!!!!

That whole "tanning" system still sounds way too good to be true, but I already told my husband that I want one! (Of course he looked at the price and chuckled. *LOL*) =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 08, 2009 02:03PM

plainlydressed,

"Scary" Mercola peddles the SunSplash system; I learned about it from his site. I am generally wary of gadgets and technology, even if they fascinate me simultaneously, but I really love the idea of standing in front of a shiny, light and warmth emitting screen in the middle of a gloomy frigid winter day. I can imagine how vital it would make one feel if it worked as promised. If it felt the same as standing on a sunny southern beach facing the sunshine, you know? And it really isn't a frivolous purchase: I looked into the SunSplash system initially because of a family friend in Canada who has had successive skin cancer eruptions, cannot get any sunlight safely, and doesn't respond well to Vitamin D supplementation. It's dire for her, and I'm at my wit's end trying to figure something out. This system sounds like a lifesaver to someone like her. She's still sitting on the fence about it, due to cost . . .

The Farmers' Almanac is predicting between "Cool & Snowy" and "Average Temps & Precipitation" for your neck of the woods this winter, plainlydressed, so take heart if that sounds about normal. We are to expect Bitter Cold, the honorary fith Horseman of the Apocalypse, so maybe I'll move to PA until May : )

Posted by: RaeVynn ()
Date: October 08, 2009 06:36PM

I have a UV-D light. It's not the SunSplash - I found it through naturalnews.com, from an article on vitamin D, and then I did some 'guided Googling', and found this one. (this is all because I can't think of the brand name!)

Anyway, since I live in 'sunny' Washington state, I use this light regularly from Fall Equinox until Spring Equinox!

My Dear Hubby, who has lived here all his life, and has suffered from SAD for many years, also uses it, and it seems to be doing some good there!

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
We are all in this together!
Namasté

Date: October 08, 2009 07:19PM

RaeVynn - Does your's also provide tanning? I like how the SunSplash has one that has safe TANNING as well. Would be awesome to be healthy and LOOK healthy all winter long without worrying about cancer and aging. *LOL* Yes, I want my RAW cake and eat it too..... just sounds too good to be true. =)

Tamukha - Don't rain on my parade. While I'm very sick of RAIN RAIN RAIN all summer, I DO WANT SNOW !!! *LOL* =) If it's gonna' be cold and cloudy, it might as well SNOW all winter....... while I bask in warm, sunny tanning sessions in my bedroom (yeah right - dream on.....maybe when I win the lottery!) =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 08, 2009 07:36PM

RaeVynn - Can you find us the name of the UV-D light you're using at home? Thanks. =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Posted by: RaeVynn ()
Date: October 09, 2009 10:13PM

Okay, I'll go look at the UV-D light and see what name it is...

Oh, and no, you aren't supposed to tan with it. Tanning is a response to damage, apparently. You only use it 5 minutes, 3 times a week, and you change the body area you are exposing to it each time, so that it will not damage...

Okay, the name....

It's a KBD light, that I got from Sperti Sun Lamp. sperti.com
Not the most sophisticated website/company, when I called. Seems like they have one office person that handles sales and service. HOWEVER, the customer service is REALLY, REALLY GOOD!

Live Well, Laugh Often, Love Much
We are all in this together!
Namasté

Date: October 10, 2009 02:15AM

Thanks so much RaeVynn. I'll be anxious to look into that product. I see they also have a "tanning" lamp and wonder how it compares to the SunSplash "tanning" products by Mercola. Thanks again for sharing. =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables