Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Ginger
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: October 20, 2009 11:05PM

Is the root of the ginger plant that is in gardens the same as the ginger root sold in groceries? I know where there is a lot of ginger growing wild. Since it's considered an invasive pest plant here, I thought that if they are the same, I could do a good deed by getting rid of it and save money too.

My favorite raw vegan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ginger
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 21, 2009 12:59PM

Trive,

Yes, the plant is grown for its edible root.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: October 24, 2009 01:11PM

Trive, there's also 'ornamental' ginger which is grown in gardens for its foliage and flowers. When they talk of invasive wild ginger they may be referring to these ornamental species. [weedbusters.co.nz]

I do a bit of foraging and also pull invasive weeds and sometimes look into whether they are edible.

Date: October 24, 2009 01:41PM

Just thought of an example. There is what I thought was bamboo encroaching on the local bike path and I have been trimming it back and even made some 'bamboo' garden stakes, but have avoided eating the lush foliage. Come to find out it is really Japanese burdock which is edible and is considered an invasive species here.

Date: October 24, 2009 01:59PM

I meant Japanese knotweed is what I found and is invasive, not burdock. Sorry

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: October 24, 2009 06:38PM

loeve,
According to the weedbusters site you gave, it is yellow ginger and not edible. Too bad. Thank you for the info.

My favorite raw vegan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables