Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw mushrooms?
Posted by: rawproject ()
Date: July 05, 2006 09:32PM

I went to a raw food prep class, and the teacher served up guacamole on top of a giant portabello mushroom. I don't know if it was meant to be a "burger" or what; it wasn't bad. But...I've heard that raw mushrooms are bad for you (unhealthy/unsafe, I mean). Is that true?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw mushrooms?
Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: July 05, 2006 09:45PM

My personal experience:

-I ate them all the time with no problems. I would advise washing them.

-David Mason

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 05, 2006 09:55PM

I think raw mushrooms are awesome. Do a google search for

mushrooms immune system

Posted by: Funky Rob ()
Date: July 05, 2006 10:44PM

I've been getting into raw mushrooms a lot more recently. I think they are very good.

Rob

--
Rob Hull - Funky Raw
My blog: [www.rawrob.com]

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 06, 2006 01:42AM

I LOVE raw mushrooms. They're the kind of thing I can't seem to eat just one of. And they have a lot of Vitamin D. It's too bad though that the organic ones are so expensive. I think the conventionally grown ones, though very very tasty, are grown using a lot of bad stuff (but I eat them anyway because I like them so much).

Posted by: rawproject ()
Date: July 06, 2006 09:21PM

well, that's good to know. my boyfriend adores mushrooms (i hate them), and we are trying to eat raw foods for dinner. i think eating cooked food late at night makes us sluggish in the mornings. raw food makes me more alert.
the teacher who made mushrooms said something else i'd never heard: that peanuts take 7 years to digest! has anyone else heard that? i know most raw people don't use peanuts, but i haven't really known why.

Posted by: Ally ()
Date: July 07, 2006 03:59AM

Dear rawproject,

I like raw peanuts, especially straight from the garden, but the store-bought ones are often kind of stale. Also, most peanut varieties contain a toxin (called aflatoxin).

The distributors for the new "Jungle Peanuts" claim they are aflatoxin-free. Those peanuts still seem mostly stale unless ALL the air is out of the package (which it's usually not). I bought a couple of good packages with no air in them and stored the packages in the refrigerator. They were great and gave me no problems at all.

-Ally

Posted by: jadedshade ()
Date: July 07, 2006 08:37AM

Aflatoxins often occur in crops in the field prior to harvest. After harvest contamination can occur if crop drying is delayed and during storage of the crop if water is allowed to exceed critical values for the mold growth. Insect or rodent infestations facilitate mold invasion of some stored commodities.
Aflatoxins are associated with mold or fungi growth.
So I can see how unsanitary storage conditions or excess moisture can cause the presence of aflatoxins.
There are regulations in place where companies have to test for their presence.
It is generally cereals, nuts and grains that are susceptible to these toxins.

I tend to avoid peanuts anyway because they are bad for my skin.

Posted by: summer ()
Date: August 09, 2006 04:04AM

my favorite raw mushroom is Matsutake, better known as Pine Mushroom here in BC...we pick them wild ourselves, eat them fresh and dry lots for year round supply...also, chantrelles are great raw, or dried then rehydrated...

I don't buy mushrooms from the store...

This is looking like a great year for the Pines!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables