Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

how do I prepare Kale and chard in a salad?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: October 22, 2009 12:49AM

I hope that someone can help. I did a salad the other nite with purple chard and I cut it very thin and I still ended up with a lot of stomach pain, actually it was extremely painful. I want to get around this without cooking them. I like their flavors alot. I hope someone has some ideas smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how do I prepare Kale and chard in a salad?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 22, 2009 01:33AM

Melibeal12,

I don't eat greens raw unless they're whizzed up in a smoothie or "marinated" in a raw dressing of citrus juice and sea salt, and a bit of raw oil, although I haven't had that in a long while. Any other preparation, and my body just can't manage it.

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: October 22, 2009 01:34AM

Chard is very high in oxalic acid and I wouldn't recommend its consumption.

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: October 22, 2009 02:15AM

I've eaten both greens before with no problems....chopped up fine into salads....with no problems....and I don't think there is anything inherent in them that would hurt you...other than higher fiber. On the other hand, each person must certainly choose the foods that make them feel light and energetic - and these don't seem to be 'doing' it for you. The above suggestions are great....and you can try blending if you wish.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: lilbear ()
Date: October 24, 2009 10:26PM

i have the perfect recipe! its amazing and you can do lots of variations on it (you dont have to use avocado)

because kale and chard are so dense theyre better for you and more available nutritionally if you break them down - so, cut up some kale into bite size peices and put them in a bowl, then add a bit of lemon juice and olive oil - then cut up avo and put it in the bowl and massage it into the kale/chard - also with the lemon juice an olive oil - massage for like couple minutes till everything is covered and ull see that the kale starts to 'wilt'.

it tastes awesome! you could also use other oils/sauces etc, the point is to massage it into the greens to break it down. i do this recipe all the time with silver beet and kale.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: October 24, 2009 11:14PM

I'm not sure what purple chard is, but if it's the same as Swiss chard, I put some in my food processor and shred it into tiny bits. Then I mix it with other shredded, chopped or sliced vegetables, toss it all with a salad dressing and put it on a bed of mixed lettuce greens or wrap it in a lettuce leaf. That way I get some of the goodness of such a dark green without getting too much of a good thing all at once.

I don't know what else you had in your salad, but possibly it wasn't a good combination? (If so, kale and chard are fibrous and take longer to digest than fruits; you may want to eat them at separate times.)

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: October 25, 2009 12:34AM

i agree with lilbear's method

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables