Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Chapped lips
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: October 22, 2009 03:32AM

I haven't had chapped lips in years, but do now. It's not because of cold weather, because it's spring and getting warmer in NZ. When I check on fitday.com my fat intake is usually around 8%. Could it be that I should increase my fat intake?

My favorite raw vegan

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Chapped lips
Posted by: mindy ()
Date: October 23, 2009 11:17AM

If you are eating foods with high-water content (which it sounds like you are if you are only eating 8% fat) and you are dehydrated (that's what chapped lips usually mean) then you might be low on sodium.

That happened to me on the 80-10-10. I couldn't figure it out for the longest time - how could I be consuming so much water (in the form of fruits and vegetables) and still be so dehydrated? (My lips weren't so much chapped, but they would stick together...). I finally figured out that it was because I had stopped using salt. For me, I tend to excrete salt in my urine more than normal people (I have a health problem that causes that), so removing salt from my diet made me sodium deficient. Without sodium, your body will not retain the water you drink, even if you drink a lot of it.

Anyway, that may be something you want to look into. You could try including more celery in your diet (it is high in sodium). For me, I had to put sea salt back into my diet, which cleared up the lip/dehydration problem.

Posted by: phantom ()
Date: October 25, 2009 06:09AM

Coconut oil helps me out from time to time. It is a quick fix, but might hold you over until you address the root cause (like Mindy suggested).

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: October 25, 2009 03:10PM

Thanks for your comments. Whatever was causing it mysteriously isn't now. smiling smiley

My favorite raw vegan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables