Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Discouraged - FLU =(
Posted by: plainlydressed ()
Date: October 27, 2009 01:43PM

Just need to vent and find encouragement. I went down with the flu yesterday. It frustrates me because I am such a "health nut" at my office and work very very hard to eat right and juice alot to keep my immune system strong, and everyone knows that I religiously refuse the flu shot. Everyone, but me, got their flu shots last week. I purposely don't make a big deal out of it (bragging, etc.), because I know how weak my immune system is and know that I'm usually the first to fall flat on my face. It wouldn't matter to my associates that this flu seems ALOT less complicated than any of my last bouts, and I am quite confident because it is a result of my religious juicing and changing from Vegan to 100% RAW diet. But all THEY will see is that "she didn't take the flu shot and look where THAT got her!" *sigh* I'm already bouncing back today much faster than I've EVER recovered in the past from the flu. But they won't SEE that positive side of it.

Just feeling a bit down and need encouragement (please no lecturing about my love of Garlic, which yes, I do believe ALSO helped me heal much faster because I started eating raw cloves as soon as I felt the traditional aches and pains coming on. Right now I just need SUPPORT from other fellow believers in the movement!!)

Thanks.

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Discouraged - FLU =(
Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: October 27, 2009 02:40PM

Oh I'm sorry Plainlydressed. I can understand why you would feel discouraged. But, you're doing an awesome job. You live your life and do what's right for you, all we can do is be an example. I get it at work too. I was sick a few weeks back (bad head cold) and it's comments like those that at times make we want to be even healthier and take my rawness to the next level. It's hard being "different" or holding "different" view from others, but if we just grin and smile the peace will be kept. Not sure if this helps, just wanted to offer you a little encouragement, speedy recovery, and hugssmiling smiley

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: October 27, 2009 03:03PM

plainlydressed,

How 'bout smiling sweetly at naysayers and saying, "I'm glad you're glad I'm still alive, and I'm glad you're still alive, too : )"?

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: October 27, 2009 05:04PM

plainlydressed,

I'm very sorry you're sick. It nailed me really hard, as I too have a very weak immune system.

The unfortunate reality is that being raw does not give us a magical power to repel all buggies. It does however put us in a far better position to fight it. With my condition, if I was not raw, I believe I would have ended up in a hospital. I am beating the flu because of raw, not drugs. I firmly believe vaccines get people sick, and leave them vulnerable to a host of other problems.

Hang in there, and don't worry about what others will say. Do what you know is right for you!

As a side note, I know a wonderful lady with Cystic Fibrosis who got hit with the flu, She has not blogged of responded to emails for over a month, and I'm really worried for her.

My prayers go out for you, her, and anyone one else in the community who is sick.

Posted by: polskadot ()
Date: October 27, 2009 06:15PM

I don't mean to sound rude at all, and I'm really not an expert on this stuff (I just went raw a couple weeks ago) but I really don't understand why so many raw people get so upset when they get sick. As swimmer said, being raw doesn't give you any "magical power" to make you immune to illnesses. We will get sick like everyone else. Maybe not as often, and hopefully our symptoms won't linger, but the fact of the matter is that contracting germs that lead to illness is usually a case of wrong place, wrong time.
We can know we are doing the absolute best for our bodies by eating the purest, most delicious and life-giving food on the planet. Of course there will still be bumps in the road. Just remember the positives and it should keep you encouraged. Even if you get a flu or a cold once in a while, at least you know you aren't killing yourself slowly by stuffing your body with toxic trash.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: October 27, 2009 10:54PM

Hang in there Plainlydressed - you are on the right track; as others have stated, we unfortunately do not have an iron clad immunity. We do live in corruptible bodies, just the same as SAD eaters.

I tend to look at it this way; others may take drugs/flu shot etc., but the end result is that they are only masking symptoms of an underlying illness in their bodies;

We on the other hand refuse the drugs, hence not masking any symptoms, allowing the body's natural defenses to run their course in the battle. I ask you, who is being more truthful to themselves?

I used to get upset with co-workers/family/others when this type of instance would arise, but I gave up on expending my energy on it - it's not worth it to me.

It is cool that you are bouncing back so quickly. My family & I have been juicing/smoothing >> XD << like crazy in an attempt to ward off anything that may come along. Keep at it, you are on the right track! smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/27/2009 10:56PM by juicerkatz.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: October 28, 2009 10:48AM

plainly dressed - have you considered the possibility that you caught it from your co-workers, who, like you say, all got the flu shot last week? another reason why vacinnations suck! hope you get better soon x

Date: October 28, 2009 01:54PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> plainlydressed,
>
> How 'bout smiling sweetly at naysayers and saying,
> "I'm glad you're glad I'm still alive, and I'm
> glad you're still alive, too : )"?

HaHaHaHah !! I LOVE IT !!! THANK YOU !!!!

"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."
—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 28, 2009 01:55PM

swimmer Wrote:
> As a side note, I know a wonderful lady with
> Cystic Fibrosis who got hit with the flu, She has
> not blogged of responded to emails for over a
> month, and I'm really worried for her.
>
> My prayers go out for you, her, and anyone one
> else in the community who is sick.

Any news on your friend?

—Thomas Jefferson

Date: October 28, 2009 01:58PM

polskadot Wrote:
> I don't mean to sound rude at all, and I'm really
> not an expert on this stuff (I just went raw a
> couple weeks ago) but I really don't understand
> why so many raw people get so upset when they get
> sick. As swimmer said, being raw doesn't give you
> any "magical power" to make you immune to
> illnesses. We will get sick like everyone else.
> Maybe not as often, and hopefully our symptoms
> won't linger, but the fact of the matter is that
> contracting germs that lead to illness is usually
> a case of wrong place, wrong time.
> We can know we are doing the absolute best for our
> bodies by eating the purest, most delicious and
> life-giving food on the planet. Of course there
> will still be bumps in the road. Just remember
> the positives and it should keep you encouraged.
> Even if you get a flu or a cold once in a while,
> at least you know you aren't killing yourself
> slowly by stuffing your body with toxic trash.

I completely agree with you. The problem is that you and I (and other Raw Foodists) understand that logic, but others who live completely opposite lives, governed by SAD, vaccines, and whatever the government dictates, don't see that logic. That's what is so frustrating. They don't see how sick I REALLY would be without taking such careful steps in my diet and lifestyle. All they see is that - "she eats weird, drinks juice all the time, doesn't take the flu shot, and look where that got her! Guess there's no reason to put stock in HER crazy notions." *sigh* Definitely keeps a girl humble. =(

Thanks to you all for the support and encouragement. I'm definitely bouncing back from this MUCH MUCH faster than I EVER did in the past on the vegan diet, so I am completely convinced that my improvement is from the 100% RAW lifestyle, and I'm so excited and happy about it! I hope to be back at work tomorrow, Lord willing, and that has NEVER happened in my entire life! I'm usually down for the count for an entire WEEK when the flu takes me down. I'm so excited!! THANK YOU ALL !!! =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/28/2009 02:00PM by plainlydressed.

Posted by: Sunberry ()
Date: October 28, 2009 04:03PM

Plainlydressed,

When I'm high raw or all raw I feel pretty darn good and NEVER get colds/flu allergies in the almost 4 years since I found out about raw.
I've been slipping badly over the summer and frequently eating things like toast/crackers and veggie soup off the shelf and am stopping now because of this flu thing. I'm always bragging about never being sick and I don't want to be eating those words either.

A few people around me in the office have drastically changed their ways because of my diet - watching me eat bunches of bananas and whole cucumbers etc at my desk for so long now seems to have rubbed off on them. No one bats an eyelash anymore, I just get occasional covetous stares at my platefulls of chopped mango or kiwi topped with bluberries, "that looks good" they say. "It is" I say.

Just stay raw and you'll be laughing last.

Posted by: polskadot ()
Date: October 28, 2009 06:10PM

plainlydressed, I'm sorry I misunderstood you. I realize now that you're frustrated at your coworkers' response and not the mere fact of your getting sick. I was also responding to the several posts on this board and others about people who have that "WTF I eat raw I should never get sick this is crap I'm giving up!" mentality.
Anyway, I can see your frustration. But it's great that you're feeling better already!

Posted by: swimmer ()
Date: October 28, 2009 07:21PM

plainlydressed, I'm glad you're doing better!

I have not heard anything about my friend, and I don't know her well enough to have any other contact info. So all I can do is pray.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: October 28, 2009 07:59PM

I like gettting (mild) colds and flues. It's like a detox or a fast, my immune system works overtime and after a few days I feel great.

But I'm sorry your co-workers are picking on you. I know how that feels to have your diet blamed for things that it didn't cause.

Date: October 28, 2009 10:22PM

polskadot Wrote:
> plainlydressed, I'm sorry I misunderstood you. I
> realize now that you're frustrated at your
> coworkers' response and not the mere fact of your
> getting sick. I was also responding to the
> several posts on this board and others about
> people who have that "WTF I eat raw I should never
> get sick this is crap I'm giving up!" mentality.
>
> Anyway, I can see your frustration. But it's
> great that you're feeling better already!

Thanks for your post polskadot. That really made me giggle. =) And I also share that same thought regarding those who get frustrated for getting sick while being so "healthy." What "they" need to understand is that my last 2 years in a row landed me in the hospital both times with combined influenza AND pneumonia with severe and very serious complications that required MONTHS of recovery. Some of the last effects from those episodes have left me with seemingly irreversable problems and symptoms that are still a struggle for me.

I was DREADING this year's flu season with sheer terror because I didn't think I could possibly live through another one of those experiences again. That's part of the reason how I stumbled upon the RAW lifestyle while trying to improve my health and strengthen my immune system to get ready for the big flu season. My super-fast recovery is pure evidence to the power of this lifestyle and I hope and pray that my non-understanding SAD associates will somehow SEE that beautiful revelation.

Thanks so much. =)

—Thomas Jefferson

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables