Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

broccoli sprouts, germination rate of seeds, preferred vendor.
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: November 27, 2009 03:30PM

I use easy sprouters to sprout and have had wonderful results with a variety of seeds and nuts. Question, for those of you who do broccoli sprouting, do you have a preferred vendor? I've been using Vendor X from Amazon for my organic broccoli sprouts. And the germination rate is lower than other vendors I have used in the past. The problem is that most of the prior vendors are out of business. I've heard rumors about vendors dumping older seeds with newer seeds. And this sounds plausible. Question, for those of you sprouting greens, do you have a reliable supplier of organic broccoli seeds. I'm willing to pay more for higher quality so long as the germination rate is cost effective for the higher price. In short, a seed that's not a weed is a seed indeed!! Let's compare notes.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: broccoli sprouts, germination rate of seeds, preferred vendor.
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 27, 2009 04:22PM

Paul,

I use these people. The germination rate seems high, but I don't know whether you would agree.

[www.wheatgrasskits.com]

Hope that helps.

Date: November 27, 2009 05:07PM

Tamukha,

Thanks. Their per pound price is about 25 percent higher than the vendor I use on Amazon. But my vendor has about 1/3 of the seeds that don't germinate, just sit as seeds no matter what I do (have gone through 2 or 3 batches). Do you think just looking at it you are getting more than a 70 or 80 percent germination rate? If so, your vender looks good! Thanks for the tip. smiling smiley

Paul

p.s. I'm aware that germination depends on customer practices. I've managed temp and humidity and had well over 94% germiantion with almost all of my other seeds & grains.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2009 05:09PM by pborst.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: November 27, 2009 07:35PM

Paul,

Eh, I would say it's about 70%. But I would also buy a small batch from wheatgrasskits.com and "test" them out to see if I find their germination rate adequate. With your success with other seeds, it's probably nothing you're doing; it's possible there's just something amiss with the supply of broccoli seeds right now, unfortunately.

Date: November 27, 2009 07:53PM

Thanks Tamukha! Hope you had a good raw T-Day.

Paul

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables