Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

My Body Fat Is Low ( seeking advice )
Posted by: EddieOrso ()
Date: December 03, 2009 02:51PM

Hello,

So i decided to find out my body fat at the gym today.
142 lbs
5 11'
27 years old male.

Found out i have 5.3 body fat. They told me that is super low.
I dont have any knowledge on this subject...thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: My Body Fat Is Low ( seeking advice )
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 03, 2009 03:49PM

Well, low body fat is a problem more for women, because our hormones depend so much more on body fat, but a minimum of body fat is necessary for both sexes for the storage of certain vitamins. Are you eating enough fatty foods? Are you overexercising? Have you had bloodwork done to determine if you have any micronutrient deficiencies growing? It may not necessarily be a problem for you to be thin--remember that macronutrient percentages are extrapolated out from the general population, so people with too much body fat are averaged in with those with enough and you end up with a generalized ratio that may not apply to you specifically.

Posted by: Bryan ()
Date: December 03, 2009 05:39PM

For a raw foodist, I don't think that number is too low. Its just compared to the SAD eating population, that number looks low. The question is, how do you feel?

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: December 03, 2009 07:02PM

I would say that is a great number. Are you concerned that your bones/ribs possibly show through your skin? As a (former) bodybuilder, if I could maintain a 5% BF number, I would be very happy.

142 lb. is a bit slim for a 5'11" male. I would concentrate on building more muscle, not losing the fat. It will all work out in the end.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: December 03, 2009 11:57PM

I had that checked pre rawfood and was at 10% and have lost about 10 lbs since. I gather for a man 5% body fat is the lowest recommended for athletes in general, body builders an exception when getting ready for a competition. Still, 2-4% is the absolute minimum considering every cell in the body has a membrane made of proteins and lipids besides the many other functions of essential body fat.

I agree 5% is fine. I saw a picture of a man on another raw food forum that was at 3% who looked fine but it's not considered healthy to stay at that by the mainstream.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: December 04, 2009 01:50AM

eddie,
do you have a photo to post?

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 04, 2009 04:21AM

I think it's fine...as Bryan said...but it's all about how YOU feel. Heh..heh. Generally speaking, most folks don't find it hard to ADD fat - if necessary. winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: December 04, 2009 11:43AM

Hi Edie,

I'm a pretty avid sports enthusiast and have paid attention to fat percentage of athletes over the years recalling one star running back noted at 6% which was thought very cool. These days I'm happily at about 10% and into cycling and they range 5-15%. I've been into weight lifting, body building, running, triathalon, etc. None of them aim below 5% except bodybuilders for competition day. This web site says 3% is the average minimum body fat percentage for essential body functions. At that % the body will burn muscle fiber.

[www.sport-fitness-advisor.com]

That would mean lose 3 more lbs and the body will start burning muscle fiber for fuel which I know you don't want -- just to try to get an idea where we're at. These days I like a cushion to help keep me warm in the winter.

peace, brad

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: December 04, 2009 01:28PM

Is there any way a person can measure their body fat at home? Without a doctor that is?

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: December 04, 2009 02:10PM

You could buy an inexpensive home scale that will also measure body fat via electrical conductivity.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: EddieOrso ()
Date: December 04, 2009 02:23PM

thank you everyone for your comments> been helpful smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables