Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

what i am dealing with...
Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: November 27, 2009 07:26AM

Hey there... you know I read these posts and i have a hard time relating. I hear so many of you saying how you can't stand the smell of cooked food and how thrilled you are with being raw... and I love seeing all this great excitement... and I am so happy that people are having such a great experience with this...

what i am dealing with is I don't feel that. I enjoy raw foods and i feel mostly satisfied with the food that I eat... but I crave cooked foods... i smell it and it smells so good... I am envious of people that don't have so many restrictions on there enjoyment of food. Taking thanksgiving for example... though i am happy not to be stuffed to the gills... i live with cooked food eaters... meat eaters... and all the cooking today smelled soooooooo good... and i have this envy all the time... i see pictures of people eating i see movies with people eating... and i just wish i could eat that pizza or sandwich... I feel that i do pretty good getting what i need... but this feeling never goes away...

I took on raw as a spiritual quest and a quest for better health... I have been mostly raw now for 1 year and 1/2... I'm really wanting to jump off the wagon...not fear of it... but wanting to... I don't even feel that my health has improved that much... infact i try to find things to snack to feed my need... but then i binge and nuts are worse for me then say a cooked meal because i have liver/gallbladder problems...

I just wish i could share the excitement about this that most of you do... tell me what is the secret... is there a secret???

love laugh and dream

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: what i am dealing with...
Posted by: Omega ()
Date: November 27, 2009 07:44AM

IMO, the secret is to be 100% raw.

When I am 100% raw, I have neither cravings nor thoughts of cooked food.

We crave food that is on the equivalent vibration as our body (and environment). By never eating cooked food (and living in a natural, stress-free environment), cooked cravings tend to vanish.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/27/2009 07:56AM by Omega.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: November 27, 2009 08:23AM

Luvyu,
In my earlier attempts at going raw, I managed to gain a different sense of cooked food. I remember meeting someone in a loby of a resturant. I smelled something 'off' at first I thought it was cigarettes, but then I realized that no, it was the smell of cooking foods. Smoke, vapors, the smell of hot oil on metal.

There are a number potential mistakes that even rawfoodists make, intending the best. For instance in my first attempt I thought herbal teas, and spices were ok, or at least not harmful. Overconsumption of fat was another mistake. Consuming raw grains. This time I have discovered that I still have the desire to supplement, using a trace mineral concentrate, even though is low sodium, its still inorganic salts. According to this webpage its dangerous. Use of fermented foods. So, these could inhibit the full realization of health potential, and the attainment of natural taste and smell preferences.
[www.rawfoodexplained.com]

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: November 27, 2009 12:21PM

luvyuu,

I can say I kind of "longed" for cooked foods when I first went raw. I didn't have strong cravings for them though. I personally feel that it is largely a state of mind.

What I mean by that is - you have to purpose in your mind, your will, that you are leaving cooked food/meat/dairy behind and pressing on towards a healthier lifestyle. It may take a while for you to get there.

But, it will be more difficult for you if you keep "looking back" over your shoulder at what you are leaving behind. You can't keep looking at the temptation & expect things to get easier for you.

Remember what happened to Eve...? winking smiley

For me, the "secret" is not to dwell on my past food experiences, but rather discover new ones. If you really want to do it, it will happen for you. Are you 100% committed? Is raw really what you want to do?

For me at this point, there is no looking back. I love the way I feel, my skin has never been clearer, I get by on much less sleep than I used to need. I don't seem to perspire as much, I am definantly leaner, more toned than when on the cooked diet.

And lets just say the trips to the bathroom (ahem) are the easiest they've ever been. Oh yeah, no trips to the doctor, no medications. By brother in law, who is a year younger than me just had his gall bladder removed at age 41!

I was going to mention the gall ladder cleanse to him, which is basically a 4 day apple juice regimen that softens the stones & lets them pass, avoiding surgery...but then I thought - why bother...

I have tried many times in the past to talk to the family about these things & it all falls on deaf ears...

Keep at it luvyuu smiling smiley

Raw foodism is an interesting journey, with twists & turns along the way. You will get there if you want to, and it is meant to be.

Being raw for 1 year and 1/2 is quite an accomplishment in itself, I applaud your efforts!

Cheers,
katz smiling smiley

Date: November 27, 2009 02:08PM

juicerkatz,
Thats sad to hear your brother had his gall bladder removed. My brother had his spleen removed. After reading a little about natural hygeine, its really changed my perspective, in the past I thought that I was glad he was still alive via the miracle of modern medicine. Now I think that despite how it looked or felt to him at the time, this surgery wasn't necessary.

I personally had some health problems years ago by making a lot of very poor choices about my health. The doctors wanted me to take a stress test. That really freaked me out. I never made the appointment, for fear that it could lead to them poking around in my body and doing invasive tests etc...

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: November 27, 2009 03:15PM

luvyuu,
I understand your situation.

This really is mind over matter.

Do you meditate at all? Do visualization exercises at all?Any thing specifically mental on a regular basis? If not,maybe give that a try.

Vinny

Posted by: poetree ()
Date: November 28, 2009 09:43PM

Hi luvyuu,

I give you a lot of credit for being raw a year and a half. Just think, your health is probably better than it ever has been. Like many have said, with this wonderful lifestyle there are occasions where you'll need to apply mind over matter. If you like how you look, feel and how people respond to you then don't let cooked foods bother you...

On the other hand, I don't believe in suffering too much. Enough is just enough. Now, I may not eat any flesh but for Thanksgiving I ate trimmings like, dressing, potato salad, green bean casserole, macaroni and cheese and so forth but did not eat any meat and there was lots of all kinds. When I go home, I switch back to raw. It's all about having the discipline. You don't have to suffer so but whatever you do don't consume any meat. For instance, if greens are cooked with juice from smoked Turkey then at least you're not eating the meat because that can fill you up and maybe your body is no longer used to it. I'll be glad when I can become 100% raw but at least I'm vegan. I eat cooked vegetables sometimes and I enjoy soups as well. I drink plenty of water too. Please don't slip back. It's hard to come out of it. Your suffering can be a true test of your strength not to give back in...

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: November 29, 2009 12:39AM

Congratulations on your efforts!

I am a relativistic person. I believe that an individual needs to strive to meet THEIR goals that THEY believe are important....and work within the bounds of what THEY believe are important.

If YOU think eating raw is important...than you should strive to hit your goal mark....whether that is 100%, 50% or 1%. If it is NOT a goal than don't worry about it.

If it IS a goal - but you have cravings....be kind to yourself and set some small goals...while eating the food that you do crave. This will satisfy both parts of your mind....and allow you to be happy you satisfied your cravings....while still moving forward on your goals.

If you CAN control it - don't worry about it. If you CAN'T control it - don't worry about it! winking smiley

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: November 29, 2009 01:17AM

It sounds like it has been a struggle for you.

I understand being attracted to the smell and social activity of cooked food. For months after going raw I still felt a desire to smell and taste cooked food, even though I was seeing results on raw. Partly, I think the desire continued because I still prepared cooked lunches and supper for my husband. He is one of the people you mention that has no restrictions on foods and can eat fattening desserts and doesn't gain weight or have high cholesterol. I used to be very jealous of him and his metabolism. Now I'm not. I much prefer to have the mango I ate this morning to the muffin that he had. As to when you have feelings of envy - like at Thanksgiving - could you be sure to have your favorite raw food to eat and lots of it? Finally after five months almost 100% raw, I began to notice that I was turned off by the smell of some cooked foods. That came as a surprise to me. Maybe that'll happen all of a sudden to you too.

Cooked foods are very seductive and advertising like "pictures of people eating pizzas" are designed to get you to do what they want - which is to buy their product - not because it is good for you, but because they want your money! Fortunately, we aren't compelled to salivate at the sound of a bell like Pavlov's dogs; we can choose to think about avoiding the negative results of eating cooked foods and to make healthy raw choices instead.

My secret was being compelled to try raw foods. I went almost 100% raw right from the start because I had severe acid reflux symptoms. It was a blessing in disguise because had I made the change gradually, I don't think I would have been as successful. (I am symptom-free now.) Also, the changes and benefits would not have been as apparent. Changes that come on gradually are harder to notice. You didn't say if you were 100% raw or not. If you aren't, you might want to try that for a while to see if you get better results. If you already are, you might want to try reducing your fat intake to 10% or less. For the most part I don't eat nuts, (although I have one or two now and then to get the nutritional benefits of Brazil nuts and walnuts). The reduction in fat made a big difference for me and might for you too.

Best wishes in finding your way.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Lizard ()
Date: November 29, 2009 12:52PM

Wow, there are some really great replies to this post. It's nice to read about everyones experience. Thank you for sharing.

To me, raw is a qwest for health and peace. I don't believe food has special powers or by just eating raw your life will be fabulous. Its about the whole picture- phyiscal, mental, and spiritual., Living to your best on each leve. Raw just takes care of the physical aspect 100%, filling your body with the necessary nutrients it needs and nothing else. No excess, nothing extra for your body to deal with, simple. When I'm raw my mind is clear, my body is light, and I feel a certain peace flowing through my body. I do not have this when I eat cooked food. When I feel this, it allows me to be more mentally alert to those needs of people around me, and so much more connected to Jesus, which is the most important thing in my life. So, I guess I feel like it just helps me to be me. Cooked food still smells good to me because it holds so many memories. Both good and bad. But now I see them as memories and appreciate them rather than fearing them. In order to do raw your heart has to be in it and you have to enjoy it. Like was said in previous posts, is a matter of the mind and getting in tune with it and fining out whats really important to you. Ask yourself, why am I trying to be raw? Re-focus on why you startedsmiling smiley I hope all is well and whichever you choose, just remember to be happy.

Date: November 30, 2009 01:30AM

trive,
"He is one of the people you mention that has no restrictions on foods and can eat fattening desserts and doesn't gain weight or have high cholesterol."

Thats probably two things a lot of people are primarily concerned with. Someone can be thin, and have low cholesterol, eating like that. But it doesn't mean they don't have problems elsewhere. My partner is thin, and has followed the meditarian type diet for most of his life. He appears healthy, but has had tooth canals done, surgery on his feet, and has trouble seeing well, especially at night. I am often like 'huh?' I often can see in what is usually pitch black for him, provided my eyes are given a chance to adjust. As a child I was told that reading in dim light was harmful, but I had a hard time believing that for some reason.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: November 30, 2009 03:27AM

Mislu, you are probably right. Can back problems have anything to do with raw food? That's his main health issue. Oddly, like your partner, my husband does not see well in the dark. I always have seen well at night, although I did so even before eating raw food. I, too, prefer dimmer light inside. For YEARS he would ask if I wanted a light turned on and has finally realized that we just see differently. Also, dim light is not harmful if you can see well using it. I used to teach children with severe visual impairments and some visual problems need low light to enhance visual functioning (and some require brighter than normal light).

My favorite raw vegan

Date: November 30, 2009 06:39PM

Trive,
Wow! thats so interesting. You brought up back problems, and yes, he has been receiving injections in his back to relieve pain. I wasn't comfortable with this, but he insists that its necessary. I think he, like a lot of people don't understand pain, its a warning sign to protect your body to keep additional injury from happening. i think some people have experienced a decrease of back problems from going raw. I remember in my first experiences with raw, i could feel my back sort of 'thawing'. When i did the usual back stretches, they very gently poped into place again, whereas before they would take so much more effort.

I have seen a chiropractor in the past, and it sort of helped. More like I felt temporary relief after a session, but it would seize up again eventually.I will have to notice if my back becomes looser the more I am raw.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: December 01, 2009 02:35AM

i knew a guy who did bikram yoga : i never did it but apparently it has somethign to do with heat sauna stuff and lots of good sweating it out

at any rate he had horrible nerve problems cuz of a pinched nerve
and it affected his back and other areas ( not sure what areas)

but he did that for a while

then his back pain like totally disappeared

and i think then he fell in love with it permanently
and just does it for his overall health

but anyways

i think that also people have back problem cuz people don't have uricase to digest the uric acid which is the by product of meat

and then it crystallizes in the joints and the back

and then people get all bent out of shape

well that is just a theory

i am not sure what the mediterranean diet is except i hear its like italian food or something like that

olive oil and whatnot

anyhow

good luck mislu

to your hubby

Date: December 01, 2009 02:49AM

la_veronique,
Thank you for your heartfelt wishes. I think on some level he knows not to trust these back injections, but doesn't see past the pain. He uses a back stimulator which sends electric pulses to the skin. Its easy for me to judge when its not my problem, he got very upset about that today. But I see now that I wasn't sensitive enough to that. I usually just put up with pain. For example I had my wisdom teeth removed years ago. The doctor gave me around of pain medicine. He had me take the first pill as I left the doctors office. But when I came home I decided not to take anymore. I think he gave me a weeks worth. It hurt quite a bit, but I noticed that it started to feel different after awhile.

Yes, 'the mediterranean diet' is pretty close to average italian eating patterns, Greek and some parts of spain have similiar patterns.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 01, 2009 02:56AM

Mislu,

Is there any place where you are that has Migun Bed treatments?--these supposedly work great on back disorders.

Date: December 01, 2009 03:49AM

Tamukha,
I have never heard of a migun bed. It sounds like it would feel very good. He already has a high tech foam bed. I think he felt better for awhile, but the problems with his back and sleeping remain. I think the bed might work if it addressed a resolve from the conditions which created his problems. But as I found out in natural hygeine theory is that only the organism itself can do that. Otherwise I hope that these beds help make people at least feel better in the mean time!

Date: December 01, 2009 11:47AM

maybe find out the source of his back problem
because it depends

i mean

was it a car accident... that could really do a number
or is it soliosis or no curve or lordosis ( is that what it's called?)

or did he fall off of a ladder
or did he get into a fight

or what?

or maybe like most people one hip is higher than the other

good to find out the cause

cuz then it would make for better strategy

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 01, 2009 02:03PM

Mislu,

Here's some info:

[www.nihadc.com]

Date: December 02, 2009 02:15AM

he has had surgery on one foot, which lead to an imbalance to his gait. He wears orthotics, but that isn't quite good enough. He also has trouble with the orthotics all the time. He went to try to do yoga to strengthen his feet, but he said that was too brutal, although the instructor had surgery on his feet also, but now doesn't need orthotics.

I just had the idea that, there is the possiblity that going raw, or vastly improving his health could even change his gait, or at least compensate in such a way that its not as harmful or hurtful to the body. This is provided that he really wants to live, but sometimes I hear him say that life is too painful, and difficult and that he just wants to die. So, he takes pain medications, does the back stimulator, and on occation he gets the injections. i don't like any of those things, but as he reminds me its easy for me to say when i don't have those problems.

Having started going raw again, I now am noticing some old injuries that I completely forgot. One of the webpages mentioned that often happens. It sometimes is so painful, but I just bear with it, and let it happen. Each time the pain starts again, its less than it was the previous time. I thank the heavens that this has been my general habit most of the time during my life. Its so tempting to seek immediate pain relief, but I don't think its a good idea. I have a hard time explaining this to him. I am worried that it will only progressively worse until he needs a back operation too.

Date: December 02, 2009 08:27AM

I started this thread... and I feel very blessed to have you all here for support... but i haven't really known how to respond... I suppose thank you is the first i can think of... at the moment i am not craving anything... but maybe some rest... i'm feeling a bit strange... almost as if i were getting something... just finished a fast and upon eating i feel dizzy... seems i work in opposites...

but during this fast i have been focused on being more present... more real... so i will add to my focus the question of why i am raw... and see if it fits... am i doing it honestly or am i doing it because i feel like i have to to be well... to struggle with health even while being raw is frustrating to me... which is probably why i have the envy and such... and maybe as some have said this isn't truly meant for me... but i need to discover that... it is a mind thing... and i am facing myself now... making myself know the truth... thank you to all of you..

love laugh and dream

Date: December 02, 2009 03:39PM

hey mislu

u say your hubby has problems with the orthotics after his foot surgery and that is affecting his gait hence his back

maybe he could check into getting another fitting for his orthotics because that is SUPER important

also maybe he could get a spiffy cane
like one of those wooden ones that has those neat designs
that could help to even his gait out and not lean so much on one side
he can put the pressure on his cane instead

he must be in a lot of pain to feel and say those things
but he is just being honest
i hope he continues to ceaselessly modify, explore and discover different ways to improve his condition and decrease his pain

Posted by: OkunDeji ()
Date: December 02, 2009 07:15PM

Ty Luvyuu for this honest thread. I have received great benefits frmeating mostly raw, so mostly it wasn't difficult for me to stick with it. Howwever as I started to have struggles with it then my desire for cooked food came back.
Cooked foods are adcitive, they affect people differently. I know without a doubt if I eat certain things I will over eat them, every single time. So I avoid them like the plague.
My emotions play a role and feeling deprived, like self pity, take me down a dark road where food is concerned.
After a while of being vegetarian, when I had to live with meat eaters, it would turn my stomach and make me wretch and heave, especially the fatty ones. That seems to have passed. It still smells stink when cooking, but it doesn't have that effect on me anymore.
I have had some tremendous physical changes, however in the last months not much at all, however I looking to get more raw, I realize there is healing work going on all around and in my body that is out of my sight and mind. I choose to trust the process. I am not an extremist and can't do 100% of anything.
However I understand the philosophy of cooked food being like crack, as long as we keep putting it into our bodies, we will crave it. The choice is whether to be 100%, or to satisfy your craving, of course that choice is all yours.
Thanks for sharing
Bless

Date: December 02, 2009 07:49PM

the funny thing about all this is that I don't put any cooked food into my body... and the smell and sight of cooked food looks great to me... including meat... i say mostly raw because occasionally i eat nuts and from what i hear even if they say they are raw they may not be... yes it is hard being around other people that are not on the same food path that i am... maybe that's it... just being around it all the time is making me want it... but also the craving has to come from some need... be it mental physical spiritual...

today of course... on the 3rd day towards a slow end to my fast... nothing sounds good not even juice... and i have a performance on friday other wise i'd just keep on juicing...i feel like i'm getting sick... argggggggg...

love laugh and dream

Date: December 03, 2009 02:11AM

la_veronique, he is constantly getting the inserts adjusted, he has two shoes which are getting worn. Man they are expensive getting customized shoes. Yes it is super important. Hes going to get some pins removed this spring. He hopes that will be the last of it. I wish there were a way to just have everything just resolve and be fine. But I guess life is like that, cells get injured, and the body has to adjust, and sometimes it just can't adjust enough.

Sometime ago I had a dream about some spirit beings that have never been to earth. Their(astral) skin was so incredibly smooth and perfect, something looked very strange about that. But it makes sense, if they have never become embodied on the physical plane there would not be a single abrasion, scar or imperfection. In short, no record of any experience, good or bad.

Date: December 04, 2009 02:41AM

luvyuu,
I reread your opening statement. I think I understand. I walked through a grocery store and noticed how much of the store was dedicated to bread, meat, dairy, canned food, prepared food, candy etc... I never realized that makes up the majority of the store, produce is there, but its really quite modest in size, and the quality is pretty low compared to california where i used to live.

Correct or not, living foods is out of sync with the general consciousness about food in my area. It might be in most places. That realization was not an easy one for me to truely appreciate. I don't look forward to ackward questions, criticisms which will probably always come up at work, with family, friends etc. It has in the past, and I naively assumed that people would be interested in finding out information for themselves, truely think about it, and suspend traditional notions about food. Thats a difficult one for most people, simply because of how far seperated most people are from natural living.

Posted by: wendysmiling ()
Date: December 13, 2009 07:13PM

I don't think most people actually live in a stress free environment. Work and bills are huge stressors. Companies demand more and more of people and unfortunately right now people are lucky to have any job even if it is not stress free.

Omega Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> IMO, the secret is to be 100% raw.
>
> When I am 100% raw, I have neither cravings nor
> thoughts of cooked food.
>
> We crave food that is on the equivalent vibration
> as our body (and environment). By never eating
> cooked food (and living in a natural, stress-free
> environment), cooked cravings tend to vanish.

WendySmiling in Oklahoma
www.16weeks2health.blogspot.com
12/17/10.......240/155/125

Posted by: yogi33 ()
Date: December 14, 2009 05:03AM

I LOVE your honesty! I see food as medicine now and while you may not see the health results at the moment, you never know what you are protecting yourself from in the future. As for me, cooked foods are comforting and taste good so...I can easily drown my emotions while eating cooked food. Raw food=raw emotions that demand our attention....that in itself is healthy!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables