Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Woot! Update on opening a young coconut and another ?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 23, 2009 11:10PM

Hi, all!

I want to thank everyone who answered my thread about opening YCs! Although I did not go out and buy a butcher knife or machete, I took my paring knife and started shaving around the top. Then I began using a Phillips screwdriver and after some good jabs, I broke through!!! So now I know it's possible for me to open one of these things without getting a sharp knifesmiling smiley

My question is about formedehyde and other chemical preservatives used on some YCs. Somewhere I read that ones from Thailand are treated this way. However, this YC was purchased at a Thai store and it looked off-white. Isn't the tipoff that the coconut has been dipped in chemicals when the husk is white as snow? Was my drab-looking husk perhaps chemical-free?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Woot! Update on opening a young coconut and another ?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 23, 2009 11:43PM

The tip-off is that unmistakable high school science lab chemical smell coming off the husk. Every one I have bought in grocery stores of whatever account has definitely smelled of it.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: December 27, 2009 01:09PM

banana who,

I would trust your senses, like Tamukha. Conventional coconut sellers probably have their choice of a number of treatments to ward off spoilage. Coconuts have thick impervious shells and have not been shown to absorb dip preservatives, to my knowledge. They still have to get them through customs and I doubt they permit formaldehyde dips now if they ever did. Matt Amsden had his source of conventional Thai coconuts lab tested and it came up negative--

[www.basilandspice.com]

Your source sounds like a good one.

Did you get it open without draining the water first?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: December 27, 2009 06:28PM

I stopped buying chemical smelling coconuts when I realized there was no way to wash whatever it was from the husks and that in cutting through the husk and into the inner nut, I was delivering a portion, however small, of the whatever it was into the sloshing fluid of the coconut. This is one way things get cross comtaminated in commercial food preparation and I figured if whatever it was smells so antiseptic, I probably don't want to consume any.

Matt Amsden is lucky to live out in Santa Monica, where he has special sources for tropical foodstuffs. In the interior of the country, preservation may require dire means. The only way to be absolutely sure any coconuts that smell chemical aren't bad is to call the local college science department and ask them if they ever do food testing for the public for a fee.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: December 29, 2009 09:52PM

Loeve:

I had a hole from my screwdriver jabs and drained the YC and then was able to take the paring knife and get the rest open! Yay!!!! Now the only thing is to buy more and more and more! I had bought it in the city in a Thai store and my local Mexican tienda had moldy ones when I checked the other day...sad smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/29/2009 09:53PM by banana who.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables