Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

why is my skin so orange??
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 01, 2010 06:31PM

I am more orange than anyone I know. I do not eat an a lot of carrots or spend lots of time in the sun. My palms are the most noticeable but it is all over. is it just that all the raw foods have a lot of beta carotene? is anyone else excessively orange? my sister said it looks I have a "fake and bake" tan. I am suddenly distressed!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: why is my skin so orange??
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: January 01, 2010 08:06PM

Hi violarose,

My hair is more or less orange depending on how many carrots I'm doing. I like my sweet potato and purple potatoes using all these as a base like some others use fruit and have been complemented on my hair color. I started out over at Hacres where George and Rhonda Malkmus encourage about 15% of the diet come from carrot juice. Those guys have the orange glow and I think most people think its kind of nice.

I've heard of excessive pigmentation though, not so much as a health concern as a cosmetic issue. Certainly possible.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 01, 2010 08:07PM

It could be too much carotene-rich food, and your body may not be metabolizing it efficiently, or it could be a weird reaction to something you've been exposed to topically. How many carrots or how many pounds of, say, spinach or kale do you eat weekly? Have you started a new hygiene product or switched detergents? Hope you find out what it is. Good luck : )

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 01, 2010 09:19PM

I only eat about 7 0r 8 carrots a week. but do have 1-2 whole bunches of dark leafy greens a day in my green smoothie. could that be why? hence why I was wondering if anyone else experiences too

Posted by: buddhistforlife ()
Date: January 01, 2010 11:53PM

Hi Violarose,

I remember when I first went raw about 6 years ago my skin turned an unusual golden orange color. I was not eating carrots, or having large amounts of orange colored veggies or fruits. I was, however, eating copious amounts of greens in the form of juices, veggies, and occasional powders, along with other raw foods. My mother was so surprised and concerned when she saw me that she asked my brother, an M.D., to check out my status. Well, it was no big deal-- the main thing was that the whites of my eyes were not also yellow.

I believe what happens to some as they transition to raw, is that the liver does some major cleansing, and perhaps as the blood is cleansed and toxins are removed, the skin reflects this. My guess.

Anyway, in my case, this orange color only lasted a few months, and has not returned.

Just mt experience-- hope it helps!

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: January 02, 2010 02:22AM

It's called carotenemia and in this example is seen as orange highlights for her? and a carot nose for him. I believe it's harmless. My "orange hair" is a lot like hers and suits me fine.

[search.aol.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables