Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Sufficient Protein for Athletes from raw food?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: December 18, 2008 10:06AM

Hi,
I am an endurance athlete and when I am in my training season my protein intake needs to be around 130-150 grams per day. I just wanted to know if anyone out there has protein needs like this and how they acquire them raw if at all. I know anything is possible but it does not seem feasible getting "all" the protein from raw foods. Who wants to eat 10+ lbs of almonds a week? Sure you would do it in a balanced way but bottom line is you would have to eat an exorbitant amount of food. I know many raw foodist eat a diet low in protein. Due to my needs I am not completely raw. Does anyone have any insight on this subject?

Thanks you very much for reading.
Aloha smiling smiley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sufficient Protein for Athletes from raw food?
Posted by: fresh ()
Date: December 18, 2008 10:17AM

i would question your assumption of protein needs...

Date: December 18, 2008 01:52PM

Learn about a guy named Tim Vanorden............
[www.youtube.com]

Brian

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2008 01:52PM by Raw1228.

Posted by: meinleben ()
Date: December 18, 2008 02:56PM

look up info on doug graham...801010 is where its at...especially for endurance athletes...

Posted by: iLIVE ()
Date: December 18, 2008 03:05PM

I am also wondering still how to get more protein from plants; there isn't really anything you can do on all raw food to get that much without eating a huge amount of food

you should see if you really do need that much protein; if you're experienced enough to know you do, then yeah, I can't really say much more about raw food because the philosophy behind it is usually the fact that people actually don't need an extreme amount of protein when training. but not everyone who is a raw foodist is an athlete. those that are usually go for total protein/fat or total carbs, but not really a complete balance like you usually see recommended (i.e. 45% protein, 50% carbs, 15-20% fat) it's really up to you to find out which thing you want to try, do somme good old research

I'm pretty dedicated to veganism though..so I'm doing a lot of reading lately on protein and what different people think we need when pursuing an interest in high physical activity - targeting muscle vs. fat

it's sooo not simpple

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: December 18, 2008 03:27PM

Instead of looking at getting more protein, you might want to be looking into how to assimilate nutrients more efficiently. Raw foodists who have spent time detoxifying their bodies and cleansing their intestines and bloodstreams are better able to utilize the proteins and other elements in their food, whereas when we first start eating raw we often feel like we have to really eat a lot of food to be healthy and satisfied.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: richard blackman ()
Date: December 18, 2008 03:34PM

1)How do you know you need x amount of protien?
2)How do you know how much protien your absorbing when you eat?
3)Protien is made up of many different amino acids so how do you know which one your needing or which one to supplement?
4)If your eating cooked foods how do you know your absorbing anything?
5)Are you using protien for fuel?

RB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/18/2008 03:34PM by richard blackman.

Posted by: RawSun ()
Date: December 18, 2008 09:08PM

Check out triathlete vegan and predominantly raw Brendan Braizer. He has a book called The Thrive Diet.

Or check out raw vegan Tanya Kay's site. She has a video entitled Vegan Fitness starring herself, Brendan Braizer, etc.
[www.kayosmarket.com]

Sunflower
Raw Food Chef and Writer
Comfortably Raw
[www.comfortablyraw.com]

Date: December 18, 2008 10:32PM

Thank you to everyone for you insight....greatly appreciated.

The answer some questions...Richard

I have seen my body undergo muscle atrophy due to muscular catabolism from my training schedule. Over years of training and many combinations that have evolved continually, by subtle one variable changes, I have discovered my nutritional requirements, this most definitely includes protein.

My protein is ingested throughout the day to ensure proper retention. I have undergone extensive blood tests pre/post training both with and without supplementation to determine my needs without under or over doing it, A blood urea test can determine the required level of protein needs and whether or not it is being absorbed.

In terms of amino acid profiles I use a higher amount of EAA's and L-glutamine than other AA's. I have found my recovery times and severity of soreness have been greatly reduced by this methodology.

The majority of my protein does not come from cooked food. But I am a little confused by your question on cooked food. When I go on a four hour training run and my body is screaming for food. I come back to a protein shake followed by a plate of pasta and my body goes through it like I never ate anything and no abnormalities in terms of complete digestion are present. That's all the validation I need for determination of whether body is absorbing anything. Again I have had many nutritional tests done to see what I absorb versus how much I ingest. How do you know you are absorbing anything when eating raw foods. Do you have specific methodology, intuition, tests, visual/physical/physiological cues, etc.?

During my training runs and competition I use a 4:1 carb to protein ration along with electrolytes. Sometimes I go with out the protein. So I would say no it is not used for fuel, just a buffer against muscle catabolism. How this answered your questions.

Again thanks to everyone for their insight.
Aloha

Posted by: brian1cs ()
Date: December 18, 2008 10:45PM

It's "You're", Richard, "You're". Not "Your". Lol.

Date: December 18, 2008 11:34PM

brian1cs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> It's "You're", Richard, "You're". Not "Your".
> Lol.

Arr yoo tha guyy vat piks on peeple four maykin spelin misstayks?

Well stik wiv mee cuz yool haff a feeld day.

RB

Date: December 18, 2008 11:39PM

Thanks Fuganetti.

RB

Date: December 19, 2008 01:06AM

Hey Richard,

I checked out your site and I really enjoyed your story and much of what you had to say.I particularly enjoyed how you encourage people to follow their instincts when it comes to nutrition, and not let someone tell what your needs, which unfortunately was the first reply I received on this post. The ones that followed were awesome. I really appreciate your input and thanks for the inspiration. Sorry about the spelling mistake.

Aloha

Justin

Date: December 19, 2008 01:50AM

Fuganetti Wrote:
> Hey Richard,
>
> I checked out your site and I really enjoyed your
> story and much of what you had to say.I
> particularly enjoyed how you encourage people to
> follow their instincts when it comes to nutrition,
> and not let someone tell what your needs, which
> unfortunately was the first reply I received on
> this post. The ones that followed were awesome. I
> really appreciate your input and thanks for the
> inspiration. Sorry about the spelling mistake.
>
> Aloha
>
> Justin

Hey man thanks...that means a lot to me!!!!

Yeah....I asked you those questions not to really for you to tell me the answers but for you to think about nutrition in a different way, like how do we really know what's going on in our bodies....and how do we know the machines are aset accurately....as a former sports man myself and because of my own dietary transitioning experience I no longer believe in what I'm told by professionals or machines....so I wanted to plant a few seeds in your head.

For instants my body size also changes with the seasons but my diet stays the same and I also get less than 300 calories a day, maybe zero cals if I'm drinking water, some days I don't drink anything at all and I can still get my kick azz work outs done, so to me protien/carbs and fats play no role at all in my performance. Personally if your new to being a high raw vegan,if I were you I would research cleansing and detox symptoms, you could be cleansing and losing retained water and excess fats and thinking it's muscle but that will happen faster depending on the season. If your going to go high raw consistantly, you are
going to lose more weight "mass" than you may want to.

Good luck man..

be good

RB

Date: December 19, 2008 02:45AM

Thanks for the insight Richard

Happy Holidays

Date: December 19, 2008 03:48AM

Fuganetti Wrote:
> Thanks for the insight Richard
>
> Happy Holidays

Most welcome buddy!

You too..

Be good

RB

Date: December 19, 2008 04:47AM

>For instants my body size also changes with the seasons but my diet stays the same and I also get less than 300 calories a day, maybe zero cals if I'm drinking water, some days I don't drink anything at all and I can still get my kick azz work outs done, so to me protien/carbs and fats play no role at all in my performance.<

Fantastic, Richard! You are living proof of the things I have come to understand about food and nutrition: you have conditioned your mind and body so that you have been able to overcome cravings for unnecessary amounts and types of food, and as a result you are obviously getting your nutrition from the cosmic energy as well as food. This makes me incredibly happy.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: fresh ()
Date: December 19, 2008 05:01AM

>I also get
> less than 300 calories a day, maybe zero cals if
> I'm drinking water, some days I don't drink
> anything at all

RB,

i'd be interested in a little study that would be educational for me.

i'll pay you a dollar a day for 30 days to send me your food intake and general idea of your activity level .

Date: December 19, 2008 02:38PM

kwan Wrote:
> >For instants my body size also changes with the
> seasons but my diet stays the same and I also get
> less than 300 calories a day, maybe zero cals if
> I'm drinking water, some days I don't drink
> anything at all and I can still get my kick azz
> work outs done, so to me protien/carbs and fats
> play no role at all in my performance.<
>
> Fantastic, Richard! You are living proof of the
> things I have come to understand about food and
> nutrition: you have conditioned your mind and body
> so that you have been able to overcome cravings
> for unnecessary amounts and types of food, and as
> a result you are obviously getting your nutrition
> from the cosmic energy as well as food. This makes
> me incredibly happy.

Your post made me happy!

RB

Date: December 19, 2008 03:09PM

KWAN.....Your post made me happy!...

I want to share this with you Kwan,

I have always tried to be a realist, down to earth guy but I must admit that I'm getting a very strong feeling that I'm being guided by a higher force/energy to purify/prepare myself for a higher level of consciousness. The universe has been working on me for years but I've been fighting it hard until recently.

The clearer I get the more powerful I get both mentally and physically. Our body is like a vessel and our mind is like dirty/muddy water and when we clean the water we'll be able to see through it and see what's really on the other side and only then can we take the right action based on what we see, some people never make the right choices because they can't see clearly!

The earth/universe/angels are really the ones that are working in my favor and deserve any credit that is due, I really can't take credit for anything but being open to teaching what we are here on this earth to learn.

I know you'll know what I'm talking about....

RB

Date: December 19, 2008 03:25PM

RB,
I feel the same exact way too!!
Thanks for verbalizing it the way you did.

Brian

Date: December 19, 2008 03:31PM

Raw1228 Wrote:
> RB,
> I feel the same exact way too!!
> Thanks for verbalizing it the way you did.
>
> Brian

No THANK YOU Brian....just be brave enough to go against the grain.

RB

Date: December 19, 2008 07:56PM

Well,sometimes it just plain hurts to against the grain,but I do it anyway cause I know its right.
Sometimes out in the world you go against that grain and just when you want to pack it in.......
The light comes on.

Brian

Date: December 19, 2008 09:05PM

Raw1228 Wrote:
> Well,sometimes it just plain hurts to against the
> grain,but I do it anyway cause I know its right.
> Sometimes out in the world you go against that
> grain and just when you want to pack it in.......
> The light comes on.
>
> Brian

I hear ya...I'm a very intuitive/sensitive guy and although I can give as good as I get it hurts me any time someone makes a smart remark or tries to attack me in some way simply because I won't conform to the norm...but in my experience the pain, builds character, if I wasn't attacked, verbaly abused and ridiculed along the way, I wouldn't be the man I am now.

Brian...if you want to get to where you wanna get to you just need to learn how to channel the pain/hurt to bring a positive outcome for you so that while people think they are bringing you down, really they are helping you to build yourself up!!!!

Be good

RB

Date: December 19, 2008 10:26PM

Thanks RB,
Believe me,I am doing that right now in a way, with the loss of a relationship.
I am turning that pain into getting in the best physical condition I have ever been in.

Brian

Date: December 20, 2008 12:26AM

Raw1228 Wrote:
> Thanks RB,
> Believe me,I am doing that right now in a way,
> with the loss of a relationship.
> I am turning that pain into getting in the best
> physical condition I have ever been in.
>
> Brian

Great stuff man....make it happen!

Be good

RB

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: December 20, 2008 09:24AM

Hi Fuganetti,
Yeah I did the LochNess Marathon in October on a mostly raw food diet (completely vegan) I never crunch the numbers but I felt fine. I did lots of 4hour runs in training and ate a huge amount of fruit for fuel.

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: December 20, 2008 10:06AM

Hey Fuganetti
There is a big difference between strength training and workouts (like RB does if I'm correct), and endurance training. If after your training you go on protein catabolism, that doesn't mean you are missing proteins in your diet, but fuel! If your body goes into "eating" its own proteins and your muscle, that's because it doesn't have enough fuel to go on. Then maybe you feel like you need more protein to compensate for the loss. But the loss shouldn't occur in the first place.
Try to eat more dense sweet foods before and after your training, to store more glycogen in your muscle. This way you'll prevent catabolism.

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Date: December 20, 2008 04:18PM

>The clearer I get the more powerful I get both mentally and physically. Our body is like a vessel and our mind is like dirty/muddy water and when we clean the water we'll be able to see through it and see what's really on the other side and only then can we take the right action based on what we see, some people never make the right choices because they can't see clearly!
The earth/universe/angels are really the ones that are working in my favor and deserve any credit that is due, I really can't take credit for anything but being open to teaching what we are here on this earth to learn.
I know you'll know what I'm talking about....<

:-) Richard--
Yes, I feel almost exactly the same. Recently, the shackles of my own form of stoic 'realism' seem to have fallen away from me and struggle has given way to lightness and ease. I can't take credit either-- it's a wonderful blessing.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Date: December 20, 2008 05:44PM

kwan Wrote:
> >The clearer I get the more powerful I get both
> mentally and physically. Our body is like a vessel
> and our mind is like dirty/muddy water and when we
> clean the water we'll be able to see through it
> and see what's really on the other side and only
> then can we take the right action based on what we
> see, some people never make the right choices
> because they can't see clearly!
> The earth/universe/angels are really the ones that
> are working in my favor and deserve any credit
> that is due, I really can't take credit for
> anything but being open to teaching what we are
> here on this earth to learn.
> I know you'll know what I'm talking about....<
>
> :-) Richard--
> Yes, I feel almost exactly the same. Recently, the
> shackles of my own form of stoic 'realism' seem to
> have fallen away from me and struggle has given
> way to lightness and ease. I can't take credit
> either-- it's a wonderful blessing.

Yes I understand that fully, I have a strong sense that NOTHING matters any more, no drama, no material possesions, no food, no wealth, NOTHING matters, everything just is and you can choose to be swayed by it and sucked into a lower level of consciousness or you can choose to live out your destiny and learn the lessons that we are all here to learn. I choose to stop fighting it and live out my destiny and I'm reaping the rewards of that choice.

Yes the universe is a beautiful thing I've got an awesome team of angels/spirit guides working with/on me....

Keep on growing Kwan...

RB

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables