Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

2010 Superfoods
Date: January 12, 2010 12:42PM

MSN have done a wrap-up of all the 'new' superfood crazes in 2010:

[style.uk.msn.com]

#1 Matcha (a type of green tea)
#2 Maqui berry
#3 Dulse
#4 Muscadine grapes
#5 Salba seeds
#6 Mangosteen
#7 Teff
#8 Acerola

Glad to see mangosteen in there. Mangosteens are BEAUTIFUL!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 2010 Superfoods
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 12, 2010 12:52PM

Why are muscat grapes a superfood? Aren't all food foods super?

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 12, 2010 03:21PM

I wouldn't consider any of those superfoods. Just fresh fruits and greens.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 12, 2010 10:13PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Why are muscat grapes a superfood? Aren't all
> food foods super?

Muscadine grapes have higher levels of resveratrol, an anti-aging phytochemical. And that's fine. But even though they are common throughout the southern United States, where do you get them? Moreover, what is the value added? Most raw foodists are calorically restricting naturally, and frankly in a more healthy way through whole raw fruits and vegetables. The health benefits of muscadine grapes may be demonstrable against the baseline of the SAD diet, but if one is eating a raw vegan diet, to be honest the value added of "superfoods" apart from those you can get easily is probably marginal.

Paul

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 12, 2010 11:43PM

Dulse is the bomb. Isn't teff just a grain, what makes it so great?

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 13, 2010 04:17AM

Interesting 2010 has just barely started! Some of these foods have had sort of a following for awhile now. I have known about and used teff for probably 20 years.

What is the great thing about teff? I remember reading about it being so high in particular nutrients, iron is particularly high. Also very high fiber. Something about high lysine, that is as far as grains go. There is also the theory that smaller seeds have higher overall nutrition, because the ratio of germ to endosperm is better, most of the nutrients are higher in germ. So your getting an extra dose of germ with teff. The grains are very small.

There are some claims made about protecting against certain diseases that ethiopians have low rates of, until they move somewhere else, because teff makes up such a large portion of their traditional diet. Part of their protection against certain diseases could actually be climate, and also calorie constriction, which I am sure is not so great when its not willingly done.

I wondered about Muscadine grape seeds. I saw some capsules being sold at 'walgreens' I am pretty sure that by the time it reaches them, the fad has been general knowledge for awhile, but I missed that one!

Salba seeds, aren't they just white chia seeds? Maqui berry, never heard of it. I am sure it will be everywhere before I know it, and I will be tired of hearing about it. Its probably good stuff, but why isn't it just available as regular food? I hate buying stuff and paying big bucks because someone has beaten the last orac value with their new produce! I guess I shouldn't complain, I guess it would never get to market if people never know about it, and the public is sometimes hesitant to try something new, unless it has out of this world taste or has some magic promises.

The rest I know about, and perhaps don't appreciate as much as I should, because I don't like to pay extra for superfood claims. I am sure they are there, but aren't there more affordable foods that are nearly as good, but just aren't as promoted as such?

I grew up on some wild berries, I always thought they tasted good, and I felt better eating them than regular produce from the store. I almost hate to mention them, because I don't want them to be breed out of their original state.

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: January 13, 2010 06:10AM

Purple bananas

Love Peace and Happiness,

Cherimoya,

Posted by: RawRaw ()
Date: January 13, 2010 04:20PM

I've seen lists lately but they have salmon and other unhealthy stuff on it. one dumb list actually had canned things.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: January 13, 2010 06:22PM

Salba seeds appear to be a waste of money. Regular chia seeds are just as nutritious. [www.healthdiaries.com][www.mendosa.com] Dr. Coates claims that Salba is just white chia, nothing special.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 13, 2010 06:38PM

How is salmon unhealthy?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 13, 2010 08:46PM

Salmon would be healthier if it weren't a dead animal, for example. With mercury and other toxins in it, in addition.

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: January 14, 2010 01:34AM

Salmon also has no fiber and is 25% of calories from fat.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 14, 2010 05:16AM

Why aren't red apples a superfood? All that boron, and quercetin. Bananas are a good source of pretty balanced nutrition. Kale, especially black kale is a great source of various pigments. blueberries, nori. Maybe these pale in comparision to the official superfoods, but can't one make anything seem amazing if the right angle is put on it?

Posted by: GilmoreGirl ()
Date: January 14, 2010 03:51PM

I agree about chia seeds, they're awesome.

Simple Raw Recipes & Health Tips

Date: January 14, 2010 06:10PM

communitybuilder Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dulse is the bomb. Isn't teff just a grain, what
> makes it so great?

From the MSN gallery:

"This African grain is high in protein, fibre, calcium, iron and amino acids, so it will help protect your immune system and help look after your bones."

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: January 16, 2010 03:50AM

GrOsS!

david

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables