Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Ditching stuff that's counterproductive to raw!
Date: January 29, 2010 04:15PM

What toxic toiletries/cleaning products/medications etc have you cut out and/or replaced to help the raw diet work better for your wellbeing?

My scalp got extremely dry over xmas (wore a hat most days!), so I upped my seed intake this week and used hemp oil to massage my scalp followed by an ACV rinse instead of shampoo/conditioner. The problem is now under control smiling smiley

I stopped using my fancy bath products and went to a plain soap. My allergies have been at an all time low since.

I've heard bad things about candles and incense (dangerous chemicals in candle wicks and incense). I lit some incense sticks last week and it made my boyfriend ill with flu-like symptoms.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ditching stuff that's counterproductive to raw!
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 29, 2010 06:00PM

i stopped useing commercial cleaners and just use distilled water/vinegar/lemon juice/ and baking soda

I stopped using soap , i skin brush before entering the shower to remove dead skin and dont feel the need for soap unless i have gotten mucky somehow

i stopped washing my hair so much and after the first month the oil regulated itself and now yo0u wouldnt even know i only wash my hair once a month smiling smiley

ive stopped using deoderant as my B.O. isnt anywhere near what it used to be smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: January 29, 2010 10:20PM

and why is body odour bad anyway? most people who cover themselves in chemicals don't 'smell' in the first place.

An honest smell after a days gardening - what's the problem - quick rinse.

But then I never did cosmetics, deodorants etc even when I wasn't raw

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: January 29, 2010 10:52PM

Jgunn Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> i stopped useing commercial cleaners and just use
> distilled water/vinegar/lemon juice/ and baking
> soda
>
> I stopped using soap , i skin brush before
> entering the shower to remove dead skin and dont
> feel the need for soap unless i have gotten mucky
> somehow
>
> i stopped washing my hair so much and after the
> first month the oil regulated itself and now yo0u
> wouldnt even know i only wash my hair once a month
> smiling smiley
>
> ive stopped using deoderant as my B.O. isnt
> anywhere near what it used to be smiling smiley

Great stuff Jodi!

I am pretty much right there with you on all of that. Except, since I work on cars daily, I need to shampoo my hair more than you do. The cleaners you mentioned are great, I do the same as well.

We also use a (light) recipe mix of washing soda/borax/castile soap for laundry detergent use. It really goes a long way, clothes come out great. It is amazing when you "break away" from all the lies & garbage that we are subjected to by big business, telling us that we need to use "XYZ" product for cleaner clothes, whiter colors, clean smelling body, etc...

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 30, 2010 04:52AM

flipperjan

"...and why is body odour bad anyway? most people who cover themselves in chemicals don't 'smell' in the first place..."

I would say it depends on the person. When I was raw for a long time I became much more sensitive to smells. I could smell people from across a room and tell what they had to eat. I could tell that some people tried to cover up their smell with stuff, but I could smell it underneath it all.

Its not pleasant to talk about, but generally I have noticed that people with poor living habits smell worse. My partner doesn't believe that I could ever get to a smell free condition to where I wouldn't have to use soaps, and stuff.

He also doesn't understand normal healthy scents and unhealthy body odors. I don't wash my hair as much as he does because my scalp and hair gets too dry. I like the smell of a little bit of hair oil, but he absolutely hates it. When he says stuff I usually ask him how he can stand having dry fly away hair. He says he likes it that way because there isn't any smell at all.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables