Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
One food
Posted by: luvyuu ()
Date: January 14, 2010 07:46PM

In your opinion what do you believe to be the one most nutritious food...
something that if you ate it and only it you would be completely nourished?
Is there such a food? just curious!

love laugh and dream

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: One food
Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: January 14, 2010 09:24PM

Gabriel Cousens mentioned his choice in 'Concious eating' he believed that to be spirulina. That is what he would want if only one single food was available on a desert island. I have heard of one fruitarian that has gone as long as six months on only melons. I have heard others suggest hemp sprouts.

This natural hygiene webpage gives banana a score of 100, APRICOT 98, CANTALOUPE 98,CHERRY, Sweet 99, grapes 97. Actually there are a lot of high ranking fruits, most of them sweet. I personally would watch out for too much acidity. I don't know if I could do a mono diet for an extended period, but I have wondered about that.
[www.rawfoodexplained.com]

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: January 15, 2010 01:38AM

Bananas?

Date: January 15, 2010 02:28AM

yes, bananas. That NH site explained the scoring for various foods. Part is opinion on taste and how filling it is. Other scores were based on toxins, nutrients, calories etc...

Here is some info about mono diets. Or Mono island. Banana island is particularly mentioned.
[www.loving-it-raw.com]

This webpage states some disadvantages of a banana diet. "Bananas are very heavy for digestion; therefore you will most likely be getting belly swelling, heart burn during banana diet. If you suffer from these ailments, it's better to refuse having a banana-based diet then."
[www.maindiets.com]

Its mostly suggested for weight loss, along with the beer diet, so maybe its not so wise.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: January 15, 2010 09:25AM

id probably go with apples , they seem to be all around pretty darn good smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: January 16, 2010 02:45AM

Jgunn,
That one NH site says thats perhaps the only fruit which does NOT have sufficient amino acids, if you eat enough calories for your weight. That is pretty unusual. But its a good food that is for sure. I know one fruitarian did a mono diet of apples while lactating, and she still produced milk fine, and her child was fine, so maybe someone sufficiently adapted to a fruit diet can do it.

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: January 16, 2010 03:34AM

i eat alot of apples

david

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: January 16, 2010 06:57PM

I dont know if there is such a food, but if I had to choose just one food. I think figs or oranges would be the best choice, because their mineral ratios are closest to human nutritional needs. I read in fact that the up to 60% of the orangutans(our close cousin) diet can be from figs alone.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2010 06:59PM by WorkoutMan.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 16, 2010 11:33PM

Yeah, probably figs. Or bananas.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 18, 2010 06:03AM

I think it's not possible. But maybe we could live on just 4 or 5 different foods for a long time. Don't know, but if I had to eat the least foods possible, I'd choose oranges, mangos, sesame seeds and seaweed. Ok, bananas too! And macadamia nuts. Oh, and lychee. And ......

Date: January 18, 2010 02:21PM

Mislu Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Gabriel Cousens mentioned his choice in 'Concious
> eating' he believed that to be spirulina. That is
> what he would want if only one single food was
> available on a desert island.

As much as I can stomach the odd spoon of the stuff in a smoothie, I'm not sure I could live on it! Yechhh! I'd like to see someone's face after mono-eating spirulina for a week straight smiling smiley They'd be green!

I don't think it's just about nutrition, I think a lot of it would be how satiated you feel after eating it. Bananas and apples get my vote. Also, durian gets my vote too. The taste, texture etc, it tastes like a prepared food of many different flavours.

Date: January 19, 2010 03:09AM

I think a mono diet of spirulina would make you turn orange from all the beta carotene. I actually like how it tastes, especially when I open a new bottle. I think its the TEXTURE more than the taste that gets a lot of people. I think pure planet has the least taste, it actually tastes like nothing to me. I think nutrex has the most flavor, and it could be psychological but I judge it to be more potent from the taste.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 20, 2010 07:43PM

In your opinion what do you believe to be the one most nutritious food...
something that if you ate it and only it you would be completely nourished?
Is there such a food?
No, there isn't. Well not for humans anyway. Even pandas will eat other foods besides bamboo on occasion.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: January 23, 2010 06:07AM

suncloud Wrote:
> I think it's not possible. But maybe we could
> live on just 4 or 5 different foods for a long
> time. Don't know, but if I had to eat the least
> foods possible, I'd choose oranges, mangos, sesame
> seeds and seaweed. Ok, bananas too! And
> macadamia nuts. Oh, and lychee. And ......

And coconut!

Date: January 23, 2010 09:03PM

lol suncloud...

so a lot of you have been suggesting sweet fruits... i have bee staying away from it... because it does indeed cause me to be acidic...especially bananas.....bohoo... i have been checkin my my ph every time i pee... and when i eat sweet fruit... it tends to lean towards the acidic side of things... it's strange that i can be 100% raw and still be so acidic... my doc has me taking the Dr Young Phour salts... which is a mixture of bicarbonates... but if i don't take it i'm right back to being acidic again...is it possible to be a yin yang thing... to have so much alkaline foods and be acidic??? anyhow... i was thinking maybe doing a mono diet... though the doc would rather me eat more variety... including some cooked... what about just cucumbers and and greens... and nothing else... can one survive on this... maybe seaweed for the iodine...

love laugh and dream

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: January 23, 2010 09:24PM

i know very little, but is it possible that eating sweet fruits allows for other acidic elements in the body to be cleaned out and you are going through a detox?
Maybe the values will return to normal if given time?

david

Date: January 23, 2010 09:30PM

luvyuu,

Why does your doctor have you on bicarbonate? I can imagine this causing a serious imbalance over time. When one is constantly on the verge of alkalosis(not from whole foods but from chemical agents) the body naturally acidifies to try to achieve stasis.

Date: January 24, 2010 06:35AM

So you are saying i am making the problem worse??? I was actually wondering about this... She has worked with Dr. Young and the ph miracle stuff so they believe using this will help in healing... when i questioned her about this she says she figures she'll be on it the rest of her life... I didn't agree... she also wants me to have surgery to remove a large cyst on my ovary... I don't agree there either... I'm so confused by all this...

I am a firm believer that a person can heal themselves... with out using anything... but yet i can't seem to achieve this..... and one person says on thing and another person says another...

so i'm off to my evening healing meditation...

love laugh and dream

Date: January 24, 2010 04:38PM

luvyuu,

No one has acidity problems because they are deficient in baking soda, so acidity problems ought not be cured by taking baking soda orally. The only instance where this has an appreciable therapeutic effect is when a bicarbonate solution is administered into the bloodstream intravenously.

I am just wondering what clinical reason she has for having you on bicarb. If it were me, the fact of my internal environment scampering back to acidification as soon as I were off Dr. Young's pH salts would suggest to me my body doesn't like them and that I am throwing it off somehow.

Posted by: faeterri ()
Date: January 24, 2010 04:58PM

My friend used green clay on the skin over her ovarian cyst everyday for three weeks: layered clay, washcloth, hot water bottle for at least one hour each day. It healed!

Date: January 24, 2010 07:51PM

LOL...so i'm not bicarb deficient... She did do the intravenous bicarb once... but she also wants me to take this... she says to keep up my ph will give my body opportunity to heal... but I sort of agree with you Tamukha... and it also gives me the burps... so what can i do to get my ph balanced???

Faeterri... I will consider this green clay...

thank you...

love laugh and dream

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: January 24, 2010 09:20PM

I think a senario would look like this:

Apes swing from tree to tree
they see a fruit tree
they stay in the fruittree for a month
the fruit is all been eaten up
"no more fruit in this tree", the ape said
"let's move on", said the ape
so the apes moved on
they suddenly found another fruit tree
but this time, it was another fruit
so they sat and ate that fruit for a month

Conclusion: Eat mono for a while, then switch. But don't forget the leafs. They are also in the tree and can be eaten too.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: January 25, 2010 07:15PM

Apes swing from tree to tree
they see a fruit tree
they stay in the fruittree for a month
the fruit is all been eaten up
"no more fruit in this tree", the ape said
"let's move on", said the ape
so the apes moved on
they suddenly found another fruit tree
but this time, it was another fruit
so they sat and ate that fruit for a month
That doesn't describe the feeding habits of apes though.

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: January 25, 2010 11:54PM

Uh, the 'one food' would be human breast milk.

>>>"so what can i do to get my ph balanced???"

Luvyuu,
I looked at the pHour salts Dr. Young sells and see why it is probably alkalizing for the urine and blood when a boost is needed, but am not sure of long term use, and doubt anyone really knows... I kind of miss seeing chloride in there too since Young favors Real Salt and includes sodium in the pHour salts formula, buy not chloride maybe figuring people get it elsewhere?, but which is a bit scarce in raw foods and is needed for HCL for digestion.

Regarding food sources of alkalizing minerals, fruits and veggies are high in potassium and are "bicarbonate-rich" --

"The health-related benefits of a high intake of potassium-rich, bicarbonate-rich foods (e.g., fruits and vegetables) on disease prevention (e.g., cancer, heart disease) have been gaining increasing attention in the literature, and there is growing belief, from a variety of observational, experimental, clinical, and intervention studies, that a positive link exists between potassium-rich, bicarbonate-rich foods and indices of bone health." [jn.nutrition.org]

..I notice when my urine pH gets stuck at 5 day after day, wondering if my bones are doing the work of blood buffering...and think anywhere between 5 and 9 is a sign of health?

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: January 26, 2010 01:26AM

Luvyu: Is there a specific reason why you are always taking your PH? I have thought about it just as a curiosity, but doing it all the time would seem to be for a certain purpose. I thought we were supposed to be slightly acidic, actually, and that if we were alkaline, we would be vulnerable to dis-ease.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: January 26, 2010 06:46AM

I think I might be able to live on my grapevine in the summer.

Fruit from the grapes.
Fat from the pips.
Leaves from the leaves!

Date: January 26, 2010 01:01PM

luvyuu,

If I were you, I would have a long talk with my doctor about each thing she has me on, what exactly it's supposed to do, what risks are associated with it, and what the duration of using it should be. It doesn't matter if it's a "natural" treatment. If you are required to be on it indefinitely, it may as well be a pharmaceutical because it's being used like one: a true remedy is supposed to help your body correct itself, and then you stop taking it because you are back in balance. Taking bicarb orally on a regular basis(rather than in acute poisoning) to me seems pointless. What is doing this supposed to correct(oral administration of bicarb does not alkalize the whole body)? How is it helping the body to correct its own imbalance? I am no expert on this, but I would think that a period of consuming high greens, no fat, and perhaps only mild fruits and lots of purified water--without other remedies, natural or otherwise--should help you body to rebalance itself. I know that you have gone through some serious health trials and that you have tried fasting before, but I don't recall for how long and what exactly your food program is now. I do wish you full healing, and soon : )

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: January 26, 2010 01:44PM

>>>"(oral administration of bicarb does not alkalize the whole body)?"

Going by this pH study, "alkaline rich mineral supplements" can raise the pH of the urine and blood significantly. Table 1 in the study describes minerals similar to 'pHour salts', minus the bicarb...

"The main finding of the present study was that the intake of this supplement rich in alkaline minerals was associated with a significant increase in blood and urinary pH. The small, albeit significant alkalisation of peripheral blood was already detectable following one hour after after consumption of the supplementation. The concomitant increase in plasma bicarbonate, pCO2 as well as the return of the slightly negative base excess to zero suggests that the mineral supplement had in fact metabolically influenced acid base balance."

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

Date: January 26, 2010 02:13PM

loeve,

Right, we are all doing this ourselves, except the "alkaline rich mineral supplements" are not isolates, but green smoothies : )

Over time the oral administration of bicarb[which is excepted in the summary above] does not act this way. It just alters HCA levels, which, of course, is not desirable. I have asked several hematologists about research into this therapy, with the disclosure that I am leery of results, as typically these studies seem to be conducted in a vacuum. I was told in each case that this outcome is not applicable to real case situations on a longer basis; note the parameters of this study. I have to say I find the "sponsor" of the study intriguing--it's a biopharmaceutical company that touts its natural origins on its website.

Posted by: WorkoutMan ()
Date: January 26, 2010 02:31PM

luvyuu Wrote:
> lol suncloud...
>
> so a lot of you have been suggesting sweet
> fruits... i have bee staying away from it...
> because it does indeed cause me to be
> acidic...especially bananas.....bohoo... i have
> been checkin my my ph every time i pee... and when
> i eat sweet fruit... it tends to lean towards the
> acidic side of things... it's strange that i can
> be 100% raw and still be so acidic... my doc has
> me taking the Dr Young Phour salts... which is a
> mixture of bicarbonates... but if i don't take it
> i'm right back to being acidic again...is it
> possible to be a yin yang thing... to have so much
> alkaline foods and be acidic??? anyhow... i was
> thinking maybe doing a mono diet... though the doc
> would rather me eat more variety... including some
> cooked... what about just cucumbers and and
> greens... and nothing else... can one survive on
> this... maybe seaweed for the iodine...
>
> love laugh and dream

Hi there
I personally wouldn't bother with this stuff. When in doubt fast for half a day, then start listening to the body. It tells you what it wants, the trick is learning to listen. Always take advice from your digestive system first. Listen to it. Just eat what feels good right now for your digestive system.

For me right now, its ripe pears and bananas, celery juice, pecans and steemed carrots.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables