Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

I love my SAD friend and all but..
Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: February 07, 2010 03:54AM

This is just an eye rolling post, no question here really. Her logic really makes no sense.

She has 2 kids, ages 3 and 5. The kids naturally go for fruits and vegetables. They ask for salad for dinner and she talks them into spaghetti or hamburgers instead. She doesn't buy much for fruit or vegetables because it's expensive supposedly for feeding a family of 4.

Then today she tells me how a trip to Burger King costs $25! Um..crazy.

She's a money saving nut with coupons, sales, sells things on ebay and is happy with $5 profits, etc... Yet spends her money on lots of soda, kool aids, etc.. lol she gets all offended and defensive if you question anything.

Once I was trying to tell her about "smoothies" and how just throwing things like fruit and frozen berries into a blender is cheap and easy. For some reason she wasn't interested in that idea at all. She was like "nah". I guess because I don't have kids I can't suggest something like feeding them fruit drinks when you can buy premade ones.

So when she talks about food now I'm just like..whatever.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I love my SAD friend and all but..
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 07, 2010 04:17AM

BackAgain,

Nothing against your friend, but as someone who saw a lot of "neglect through obliviousness" while school teaching, I am really cheesed by what you describe. You are the soul of restraint, because if I were you, I'd be asking my friend if she thinks it's a good idea to withold nutritious foods from her children, especially in the long term. I'd ask it calmly and politely, mind you, but I'd mean it. Otherwise I'd be feeling like she's trying to rationalize her stupid food budget to me and I'm not gonna tell her it's OK. My friends know better than to discuss stuff like this with me, but they all feed their kids fruits and veggies, lucky for them, grrrrrr! ; )

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 07, 2010 05:13AM

It's weird how people just refuse to even imagine a different sort of diet, isn't it? Last week I had the same type of situation. One of my partner's family members has a chronic health problem that "came back." I started mentioning about possibly trying to go gluten-free and she completely cut me off at the pass. Because I don't like being stifled, I persisted to at least get my thought out. She "allowed" me to, then asked what gluten was! So she didn't know anything about it, but then refused to let me go much further. I had just read a book about how misdiagnosed gluten issues are and wanted to share it with her. What irritates me is when someone brings up their health issue, and when you try and help them, they act like you are lecturing, on a high horse, etc. Sometimes I almost feel like people get a payoff being in the victim mode and resent it when you put the onus on them for their health (and it's not like I was heavy-handed about it, either).

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: February 07, 2010 05:52AM

All you can do is be a loving support to your friend - and a good example.

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: February 07, 2010 02:02PM

Some people just havent,or never will,see the light on how important diet is.
And even if they saw the light,they would just go right back to Burger King.

Vinny

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 07, 2010 03:31PM

Most of these people are just lazy at the end of the day, they dont have the "time" to cook raw or fresh and is much easier pulling out some microwave burgers or sticking something in the oven.

like you say the trip to burger king cost them $25 when they could have fed the family nutritious tasty food for a fraction of that.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables