Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Who are your raw food gurus?
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 14, 2010 10:23PM

Obviously, I don't mean this literally, but are there any "experts" or leaders in the field whom you have followed, in terms of reading their books, going to their lectures or retreats, etc.? I just saw a DVD of Gabriel Cousens giving his philosphy regarding the connection between eating raw vegan and a yogic lifestyle. I never read him mentioned on here, so I was curious whether any of you have read "Spiritual Nutrition" or his other books. Same with Ani Phyo and David Wolfe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who are your raw food gurus?
Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: February 14, 2010 11:24PM

I've read and enjoyed books by most of the 'gurus' - Wolfe, Cousens, Kulvinskas etc - but I never really follow anyone in particular. At the moment I'm liking Tonya Zavasta's books; she has a nice energy,confidence, and humour. However I remain pretty cynical about them all, I have to say. Most of them have altered and refined some of their dietary practices over the years, so you can never be sure that anyone has, at this moment, 'the perfect raw diet'. Plus, there is so much hyped-up 'self-marketing' in the raw food world nowadays - how can you be sure that someone is being totally honest to themselves and to you, when they make their living (in some cases, their fortune!) by selling you the idea that their diet can make you a 'superhero' and work miracles?

Actually I prefer to go by the experiences of 'real' people; folk who have followed a raw diet for many years and who visit boards like this to give us the benefit of their expertise, without any 'agenda' or anything to sell. I'm very grateful for it smiling smiley

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 14, 2010 11:36PM

Good job lisa! "without any 'agenda; or anything to sell." I wonder if thses gurus pound the pavement hard to bring us this information, thus making the information have a desperate, forced, rushed feeling to it. I like Wolfe, alot, but he is so 'Valley David' and can't seem to calm or slow down and acts like a surfer valley dude with his persona. I would rather see a modern version of himself than a "holy' version, but sometimes how he talks is so exasperating. and all those haters out there who hate him he causes because he tends to shove in your face how popular he is. With the endless you tube videos. ENDLESS p hotos of him. endless talk of him. even the description of him "youd think he was a rockstar" and "the worlds foremost authority on raw food" is too show offy. but yet, he has to make a living and if thats the way he chooses to make it, to have you never FORGET him, so be it. I think he'll die down after a time. two more years, 3? ,dunno. But I do think he's the coolest hippie, and am a little jealous! ha ha!

Date: February 15, 2010 01:44AM

just a few more thoughts. I think i'm growing out of the phase of looking to famous people for comfort, even if they are doing good works and selling raw. I'm getting older (33 1/2) and going are the days of admiring famous people as if there unatainable, the lifestyle they lead. I fI ever did become somewhat famous, I think I'd do less. Wolfe Does ALOT to attarct attention to himself. Twitter,my space, facebook, interviews, wanting people to comment on him(website). If my work ever leads to becoming more known, I DEFINETLY wouldn't twitter about it. It just makes people look at you and know that you know how great your life is, and you rub it everywhere. I think i'd be more humble and incognito.wouldnt want to cause people to look up to me and think "aw she's got it made," look at there own life and feel unequal. but I imagine Wolfe isn't perfect and is thinking he's PROMOTING with all the flamboyant moves he makes because he's gotta earn a living and sometimes that excuses people. I guess I don't like Fame.

Date: February 15, 2010 01:51AM

I don't know, am I being too considerate of other peoples feelings?

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 15, 2010 03:24AM

No, I just live my life happily without following anyone else. I like to read what other people have to say. If what they're doing happens to work for me as well, great. But they aren't my "guru" because of it.

Posted by: rawgosia ()
Date: February 15, 2010 06:40AM

No such thing as "expert". smiling smiley

RawGosia channel
RawGosia streams

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: February 15, 2010 12:33PM

I actually haven't followed/read a lot of the well known gurus...A few that I did gain knowledge from when I first started out -

Jay Kordich
Dr. Norman Walker
Dr. Lorraine Day
Hallelujah Acres - Rev. George Malkmus

Although the last one...I feel pushes a bit to much "cooked" along with supplementation...

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: February 15, 2010 06:16PM

Of the old gurus Ann Wigmore, Bragg, T.C. Fry and Eydie Mae

My current gurus are Tonya Zavasta, I like how nothing is theory with her, it's all based on visible results. Like the salt issue, salt make you retain water 96 times the weight of the salt which creates puffiness so avoid it. You need to eat a few Brazil nuts a day to get your selenium for your skin. There isn't a check list of things to do everyday, you do have to wade through a lot of info to get to the key little tips like that but they are good books (I have Your Right to be Beautiful and Beautiful on Raw, I haven't got to any of her other books yet)

The Boutenko books are my favs, I find them inspiring, Valya and Sergei's invovement is fantastic and Victoria does a lot of scientific research too. I wish they would go back their old style of book cover where they had a pic of themselves with yummy food on the cover. Now their books look like magazine covers.

But as far as recipes, I like the ones that I find on the raw food message boards.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: February 15, 2010 07:22PM

Beware gurus and 'experts'. If you anchor yourself with one person you'll soon find the sand slipping.

Here's an extract from my website:

Be a Raw Food 'Independent'.

You'll become aware that people in the raw food world feel very strongly about what constitutes the ideal raw food diet. For example, you'll see high-fruiters and low-fruiters telling everyone their diet is best, and anyone following the other diet is doomed. Neither is true.

You'll hear people declare that certain (raw) foods are not 'optimal', but please be aware that judgements of this sort are subjective, and debatable. You'll even hear some people say that you shouldn't eat 'too much' fruit!! (If you have been concerned by statements of this sort - please, contact me!) If, once having made the life-transforming and positive decision to 'go raw', you then start fretting too much about what you're eating within your raw food diet, it may well make you make you miserable, which is NOT what eating raw is all about.

So, please, listen to the various 'gurus' and self-proclaimed 'experts' by all means, but, ultimately, ... sail free!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables