Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

4th day raw- morning sickness or detox?
Date: February 18, 2010 06:33PM

I need some advice. It's my 4th day raw. I am a 30 year old woman. About a month ago, my boyfriend and I had two condoms break and I took the Plan B pill to hopefully prevent pregnancy. I have not gotten a period since September because of hormonal imbalances, which is why I have chosen to start a raw foods diet and try to heal my body the natural way. So anyway, it's the 4th day and I am so so nauseous.I was also very nauseous yesterday also. I feel queasy and sick and like I need to vomit, but can't. I have taken a couple home pregnancy tests, and they were negative. I'm wondering if this could be detox symptoms, and if so, what to do about it? I can't really function like this! Or, if this isn't detox, I'm wondering if I could be pregnant, and if so, if that's dangerous for a developing fetus? Any advice would be greatly appreciate. Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 4th day raw- morning sickness or detox?
Date: February 18, 2010 06:40PM

And one more update...not to be too graphic (sorry!!) but I just vomited up everything I've eaten today. I had a plum, a spinach/kale/wheatgrass/apple juice, a sprout and red pepper salad with some olive oil and lemon juice, 1/2 avocado, and a pear. Please help!!! Is this normal? Thank you in advance.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 18, 2010 06:42PM

pregnancy is not a terrific time to go totally raw without a nice, slow, easy transition. Morning sickness is already a symptom of detox IMO and I think it's a good idea to nourish the body and support it with a good healthy diet at that time, but not the intensiveness of going totally raw which can be shocking to a system not prepared for it. I might think about eating as healthfully as possible with lots of raw fruits and veg, nuts and seeds, but also including some grounding, heavier foods like soups, steamed veg, brown rice, millet, or quinoa, etc. At least until you know for certain that you're not pregnant. In fact, I would use that as a transition diet in any case, slowly incorporating more and more raw over time. Either way, your body is having a strong reaction so why not listen to it a slow down a little bit? It won't hurt to take your time and it might be a bit more pleasant for you along the way.

ETA what is your experience with wheatgrass previously? Do you usually have it on it's own or in combination and how does it make you feel right after you ingest it? It can be a strong nauseant and may be the culprit right there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/18/2010 06:45PM by coco.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 18, 2010 07:18PM

Not that relevant to your question but for hormonal balance here are some good tips.

digestive bitters not only help digestion they are the best thing for cleansing the liver, increased liver function helps the liver deal with excess hormones.

vitamin b's from natural sources such as rice bran, seaweeds, nettle leaf(if you need ive got 25kg), help the liver breakdown excess hormones also.

herbs such as aswhagandha, schizandra, jiaogulan(which i prefer over maca as has 72 sterols) help balance hormones.

Date: February 18, 2010 07:27PM

Thank you very much to you both for responding. This message board is so helpful! Coco, I have actually never had wheatgrass before. I didn't know it was a neauseant! That is very interesting because I went to the health food store, got that juice, and then within the hour is when I felt the discomfort start. Then about a half hour later, I vomited. Is that a typical reaction for someone who isn't used to wheatgrass? Does that go away as your body adjusts to it, or is it like once you've had a reaction, you always will have that reaction? I like your suggestion to slow it down a little until I know the pregnancy result, or in general to keep in some of those grains and soups...I guess I just am a perfectionist and I really wanted to be 100% raw right away!!! i really want to succeed at this healthy lifestyle.
Powerlifer, thank you so much for those suggestions. do you know where I could find those herbs? my hormonal imbalance was too much testosterone because of Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) which was causing an insulin resistance. I take Metformin for it and would like to stop meds and heal with a raw diet.
Thanks everyone!

Date: February 18, 2010 09:26PM

Where do you live honestykindnesslove?

most stores should have a digestive bitters formula of some sort, usually swedish bitters which work as good as other bitters but contain stimulant laxative herbs which im not keen on long term. Grape bitters or chinese are the best and usually available online. Although any bitter works well such as using gentian powder sucking on it for 30 seconds before meals.

the nettle i have in stock just now as i was using it for another formula if your interested. some seaweeds i know are raw such as nori sheets which you can just eat, the iodine helps balance hormones along with the b vitamins for the liver and supporting proper adrenal/thyroid function. But as i say bitters are the best as they help the liver deal with excess hormones, supporting the adrenals with adaptagen herbs is also a good idea and nettle leaf and amla berry i also like.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 18, 2010 09:59PM

Sometimes some people find that they have better, longer term success by slowly incorporating the principles of this diet into their lifestyles until it becomes a lifestyle and not just something that they are "Doing". I think there is a lot of value in going slow, in replacing old habits one by one in a non-threatening, comfortable, natural progression. Of course, some people jump right in 100% and don't suffer a great deal in the process but neither path is for everyone, find what is right for you.

Wheatgrass is a common nauseant, it is a powerful detoxifier that many people react to with discomfort and even vomitting so yes, your experience is fairly typical. Some people love it straight off but most (having worked at a sprout farm for a long time) find it very strong and that it takes some getting used to. There are many who never get used to it and have a negative reaction every single time. I've heard it said that this is a "detox" reaction but I don't believe that. I think a natural sensitivity is more likely. One that may change over time but should be heeded for as long as it presents itself. Wheatgrass is often contaminated with mold as well and I believe that some people react to that aspect. Take care if it is making you sick, and if you decide to continue with it remember that it is best taken alone on an empty stomach.

Date: February 18, 2010 11:58PM

Thanks guys. I live in NYC. I'd love to learn more about the bitters and healing hormone imbalances in women naturally. Can anyone recommend any good reading on the topic?
I think I will stay away a bit from the wheat grass until I adjust a bit!!
Thanks again.

Date: February 19, 2010 02:53AM

check the digestion articles on my site and the adrenal fatigue article also if you have time, both very beneficial in sorting hormonal imbalances.

good fats such as omega 3 go along way also raw foods such as hemp and chia seed are the way forward for raw sources.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 19, 2010 03:51PM

wheat grass... uhgggggghhh yucccckkkk

i know everyone loves wheatgrass and all

but i can live without it

i think most of the wheatgrass is moldy moldy moldy

because my body doesn't react that way to other green juices

ever

i;'ll be happy if i never drink a sip of wheatgrass again

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables