Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

raw for 6 days with noticable changes.
Posted by: scottiethomas ()
Date: February 19, 2010 02:31AM

Hi all,

i have noticed my sense of smell has sharpened tremendously. When I am in the presence of others, for instance working with someone or sitting next to someone, i can tell if they eat a lot of wheat or meat, and their pheromones are intoxicating (sometimes good but too often not so great, however i made the decision in part because i am paranoid about halatosis having a major candida overgrowth... so i am totally understanding of the "not so attractive smells"winking smiley

its amazing how keen my sense of smell has become.

anybody have similar expereiences with heightened senses?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: raw for 6 days with noticable changes.
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: February 19, 2010 02:42AM

Definitely! Yesterday, the floral spray used in a restroom at a cafe' (I drink water and my husband orders for himself) is unbearable for me, whereas my husband didn't notice it. I, too, am aware of body odors of others nearby more so than I used to be. And (most) cooked food doesn't smell good to me now, fortunately.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: February 19, 2010 02:50AM

I don't necessarily think it's "heightened" senses but rather they were diminished by your prior diet/environment and now you are realizing their potential.

Date: February 19, 2010 04:18AM

yes indeed trive, cooked food still smells nice to me but the odors of SAD people are very different of mostly raw vegans... and i prefer the latter smiling smiley

utopian life - very good point. this nose has been unusually sharp since birth... on some occasions i can smell when a person or animal is sick... tis an odd gift shall we say... you are dead on, there are so many wonderful things we are born with that are diminished or are unrealized because of poor diet.

Date: February 19, 2010 04:22AM

trive, when younger, i would become ill if forced to ride in a car with the air conditioning on and windows up. everyone would roll their eyes but i have been reading about the chemicals of a new cars and the chemicals in cars in general and i now understand there was nothing odd about my reactions to these things...

air fresheners etc are unbearable, i feel you greatly

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: February 19, 2010 06:25AM

scottiethomas, me too! I can't stand the "new car smell" that some people love. I have even seen it sold in aerosol cans for people to spray in their cars to make them smell new again. Tire stores also send me running for the door. Phew! My husband once bought some expensive rubber floor mats for our vehicle, but I couldn't tolerate the smell. These are all pre-raw responses for me, though.

However, as Utopian Life wrote, I think my increased sense of smell since going raw is probably that my natural olfactory abilities are now able to be used to their full potential. Since cooked foods cause me to get congested, the resulting stuffy nose dulled my ability to smell as effectively as I do now.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: February 19, 2010 08:50PM

hey scottiethomas

did u ever see the move "Perfume"?

about a guy who has a very VERY keen sense of smell

well, the movie is not just about that but in a way.. yeah, the entire movie is based on the olfactory system

at any rate

heightened everthing

sometimes the very molecules of the air

i seem to be able to hear them

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: February 23, 2010 04:15AM

scottiethomas & Trive,
I don't like the smell of tires, new cars. I used to work at a vacuum shop, and I couldn't stand the smell of new vacuums. Even with them boxed up I could smell them. You both probably hate walking through toy stores, or those large retail stores which have a lot of plastic goods.

It reminds me of when I worked out in a remote island in Alaska. I couldn't stand the smell of someone repairing a fiberglass boat. I don't remember the exact smell, but it was horrible. People looked at me like I was crazy when I said those chemicals smelled worse than rotting fish.

That work experience was pretty unique. After being there for several months you get a complete different sense of just about everything. The morning 'commute' was walking from the tent down a trail, which took about 2 minutes. One day someone backed into the satellite dish with a backhoe, so we were cut off from the outside world for several months. That was actually a great thing!

Actually most people didn't miss it. The air quality, was totally unbeatable. The crew might have experienced total rejuvenation if they followed a raw diet, and had no smoking or drinking, or coffee. But lower stress and way fresh air was hard to beat! I had such a hard time coming back to 'regular civilized life'. Hearing cars on the road was actually the worse thing to adjust to again. Then dealing with more than a few dozen people a day was another. And of course the smell of common every day products that we think we need.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/23/2010 04:18AM by Mislu.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables