Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Farmers' Markets - how they rock
Posted by: m.cazee ()
Date: March 07, 2009 09:04PM

Last week I spent around $140 (for 2 people) on a trip to Wholefoods. I just bought some staples, nothing frilly except some almonds and stuff. I was a little turned off by how expensive it appears to eat healthy, but after adding up the last 2 months' bank statements - I average about $400 a month for food for myself.

Regardless, I went to the Farmers' Market here in Phoenix today. Not only was it a BEAUTIFUL day, the prices were so wonderful. Everything I purchased was organic. I bought a pound of organic dates for $6.00. In the store, they were $20! I'm not postive if the dates are raw - I completely spaced on asking, but I am going to email them and find out.

So yeah, just thought I'd share my happy day with everyone!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Farmers' Markets - how they rock
Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: March 08, 2009 03:22PM

Farmers' markets are the BEST!!! I miss my year round market in Cali! We have one winter market (one day in Feb.) and the summer one goes from May to October.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: March 08, 2009 04:07PM

heres some links to local markets, you might find some right in yer backyard you didnt know were there smiling smiley theres canadian links there too for us canuckleheads smiling smiley

[marketplace.chef2chef.net]
[www.pickyourown.org]
[www.localharvest.org]
[www.wwoof.org]

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Posted by: angie1 ()
Date: March 10, 2009 09:54PM

Here in Spokane we have a Farmer's Market every day, in a different neighborhood. It sucks though because they are only May-October. I envy places that have more than a 6 mo. growing period!

Angie

Me (30), Joseph (24 mo.) Jeremiah (4 mo.)

We are enjoying spring and being outside!!!

Posted by: cherimoya ()
Date: March 11, 2009 04:21AM

One good thing about spending 8 months of the year in Thailand and 4 in Florida is that everyday there are more farmers markets then one I can go to.

Thailand is one big farmers market and many countries in tropical countries also have great farmers market.

In the USA most people are not farmers or even grow anything edible to eat in poorer countries everyone even with a small plot of land has something growing there to eat.

Cherimoya,

Love Peace and Happiness,

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: March 11, 2009 12:33PM

I think that will change. Everyone should grow food if they can. I've been ripping out lawns for over twenty years. smiling smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 25, 2010 02:12AM

Have just started a Raw Food Meetup in Bangkok/Thailand. Please join if you are still around!

[www.meetup.com]

Cheers,
Nicole

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: February 25, 2010 02:40AM

Funny, because I go to Whole Foods every day and organic dates are $4.99/lb. and $6.99/lb. (the Medjool ones, of course). I have never seen anything nearing even ten bucks a pound. The farmer's market comes in May and ends in Oct. I was horrified to discover that they use herbicides like Roundup (my companion asked one of the vendors. Even though it wasn't an organic stand, I assumed it was still pesticide/herbicide-free. Silly me...).

When it gets cooking in late summer, you can sometimes get a pretty good deal, even with the organic vendors, but I am still rather frustrated at the prices. It seems they are taking advantage of the "buy local" craze. The non-organic stuff is often more expensive than my local produce market, where they have items from nearby states! That's local enough for me, if I save money...

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: February 25, 2010 02:46PM

Thanks for sharing.

My view on the expense of buying organic produce is that I could spend the same amount,or more,on twinkies and coco puffs,and pizza.I see people with their carts full and their totals over $200,and there isnt one thing worth eating in their cart.

I never bat one eyelash spending money on raw organic produce.

Vinny

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 25, 2010 04:15PM

i wish we had these around here i think they come once every month or something.

Date: February 25, 2010 04:41PM

There used to be an farmers city market store near where I used to work. At that time, I was going raw for the 2nd time and I got to try things for the 1st time that I'd never had before- fresh figs, goatsbeard (had to cook that, but I'd never seen it before in my life!), unwaxed fruit, Lara Bars, russet apples, kumquats and unusual cold-pressed oils etc. But it was painfully expensive- £2 for a slice of watermelon. In the supermarket you could buy a whole watermelon for £2-£3.

I went past there a few months ago to find the building empty. Looks like the company who was running it all went under sad smiley

Even though it was expensive, it's a shame that it's gone. It was good to at least have the option of buying local/organic produce.

Posted by: lisa m ()
Date: February 25, 2010 05:15PM

powerlifer, have you looked into organic box delivery options? I've been using Grow Wild, they cover the Glasgow and Edinburgh areas, but I bet if you googled you could find one local to you smiling smiley

Our local health initiative does a little fruit and veg weekly market, plus they give free produce away to pregnant mums! how cool is that smiling smiley I'm gonna start volunteering for them smiling smiley (and I might sneak down in disguise some weeks with a cushion stuffed up my jumper lol)

Free Newsletter: [bit.ly]
Facebook: [www.facebook.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Blog: [RawFoodScotland.co.uk]

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 25, 2010 08:32PM

i could try to get pregnant but unless im like arnold swarznegger in junior its not going to happen as fast as i wish for free produce tongue sticking out smiley. Lol on the cushions

on a serious note nice one ive looked into these box deliveries never tried it yet but looks good. My main problem is i like to juice beetroot often for my liver but can never find anywhere that does raw beet.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables