Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

A balanced climate?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: August 10, 2009 08:29PM

I am looking for the best climate to move that has a balanced climate...not too hot nor too cold. It seems that California may have one of the best climates to help 'calm the spirit' and balance. I have lived in Hawaii which is amazing but prefer to not be that far away at this point.

I would like to be in an area that is as pristine as possible...and tranquil.

If California is one of the better places can any of you familiar with the areas share which places would be 'affordable' and support the raw lifestyle as well as being multi culural? I have two young children that live with me full time and would like to have access to other home educators, democratic/alternative schools, etc. Any help with request is appreciated..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: A balanced climate?
Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: August 10, 2009 09:35PM

I love the change of seasons.
No Ca. for me please.

Posted by: Molli ()
Date: August 10, 2009 09:38PM

Born and lived almost my entire life in California. If you want a climate that is not too hot and not too cold, anywhere along the coast in So CA would be perfect. But it may not be affordable. CA is very multi cultural. San Diego is wonderful. Maybe you should check it out.

Date: August 10, 2009 11:19PM

really? i hated san diego. you can't get Anywhere without having to drive on the highway, it's so sprawling. san fran was ok but talk about expensive, sheesh! rainbow co-op gobbled up all my extra money, thank goodness for the incredible second hand shops or i would have had to go naked!

i want to check out oregon. but i want to keep living in canada. can't have it all, sigh.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: August 10, 2009 11:25PM

Earthama Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I am looking for the best climate to move that has
> a balanced climate...not too hot nor too cold. It
> seems that California may have one of the best
> climates to help 'calm the spirit' and balance. I
> have lived in Hawaii which is amazing but prefer
> to not be that far away at this point.
>
> I would like to be in an area that is as pristine
> as possible...and tranquil.
>
> If California is one of the better places can any
> of you familiar with the areas share which places
> would be 'affordable' and support the raw
> lifestyle as well as being multi culural? I have
> two young children that live with me full time and
> would like to have access to other home educators,
> democratic/alternative schools, etc. Any help
> with request is appreciated..

Everywhere has tradeoffs. If you want warm summers and not too cold winters in the continential US, won't do better than Northern CA & Pacific NW. Pretty affordable too by East Coast Standards. North of San Fran, a lot nice choices Santa Rosa, Eureka & Ukiah, CA, in Oregon Eugene, Corvalis and Portland. In Washington State, Astoria, Olympia, and Port Angeles. Was always interested in Bellingham. University town (Western Washington Univ), mild climate, easy driving to Victoria & Vancouver, BC (assuming it's with passport now, like everywhere else). Clouds I can deal with. I think I'd take Bellingham.

Paul

Date: August 11, 2009 01:13AM

Coco..I am with you living in Canada is where we are now too, just that winters are toughwinking smiley Where are you? We have been wintering in Mexico, but really feel that I would like to stay year round in one place.

Paul...you mention a few places that I have been attracted to..Ukiah, has been for some reason a place that has come up before. I do not know a lot about it, but perhaps it is the name..hmm..and Eugene sounds fabulous. I was concerned about whether there was a lot of damp rainy days. I lived on Vancouver Island for a few years and it was so beautiful and green...howeverwinking smiley there were 60 days of rain and the sun was missed desperately..so, I decided well, I really must have the sun to feel well.

San diego and San fran sound great for a visit but too pricy and a bit too urban for me...finding the 'perfect' climate which of course is different for everyone..yes as said there are trade offs...My body feels wonderful in mexico yet it was getting a bit TOO hot towards the end of the winter. Ukiah??? anyone have any other info to share about i..and what about Salinas? thanks everyone...

Date: August 11, 2009 02:00AM

up the sunshine coast is wonderful, i have a friend there who is never leaving he tells me. just gorgeous, but you have to find a way to make money creatively.

we were in the mountains in nelson, much snow but it's a dry cold so incredibly bearable compared to southern ontario where we are now. family is here, it's hard to live far from them. though if an intentional community of like minded people were looking for more roomies i'd be hard pressed not to go!

Date: August 11, 2009 03:31PM

Coco..I agree with your friend that area is gorgeouswinking smiley I have considered Nelson because of it seeming that there were like minded people. Lived in Edmonton and love it there because of having so many like minded folks, yet the cold again..it is an unbearable cold. There is a huge difference with the damp/dry cold too as you mention. I am in the east now and have felt the need to turn on the heat even over the past few weeks! It is very damp and cold. I was contacted about a community forming in northern ontario...not sure what you are looking for in an intentional community but if interested just let me know.

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: August 11, 2009 05:35PM

My husband and I searched for years through much of the English-speaking world for the "perfect" climate and culture. We lived on the Atlantic coast, Gulf Coast, Pacific Northwest and Hawaii and went to several Carribean countries and Australia looking for the ideal place. Finally we found the Bay of Plenty area of New Zealand. Where we chose has the highest sunshine hours in the country. Citrus trees and kiwifruit grow well here. It might frost one or two mornings a year and never snows. It doesn't get unbearably hot either. The coastal landscape is incredibly beautiful. Whakatane is a charming town with a river running through it. Go to its website to see photos. There are two waterfalls in the heart of town. A hiking trail starts in town and follows a cliffside trail to a secluded beach where you can look out to sea and watch an active sea volcano (White Island) puffing away! Then there is north facing Ohope Beach and an amazing natural harbour. The area surrounding the town is picturesque rural farmland and forest. People are very welcoming and friendly. We keep in touch with US family and friends via Skype and visits. They love coming here.

Date: August 11, 2009 05:44PM

P.S.: There are berry farms right outside of town. Lots of varieties of berries in quantity. Can you believe it? Farmers' market, health foods store, etc.
P.P.S.: The tuatara is a native NZ animal (that looks sort of like an iguana) that can only survive in certain areas where it doesn't get too hot or too cold. Perhaps we were tuataras in a former life? Ha!

Date: August 11, 2009 09:39PM

Trive...ahh you have found it! I have said for the past couple years that New Zealand is the next place to go for a visit. I met a couple from London that was traveling around the world with their toddler looking for the perfect place to live a few years ago. They were taking a year to travel. She was born in Australia but had lived in Thailand, India and many other places. She had told me about New Zealand and how many beautiful farms, markets etc were there. It sounds absolutely as you say...amazing. Thank you...I may definately be a tuatarawinking smiley My 3 year old son says every time we go to the supermarket 'is it going to be cold in here'...interesting, and this is in the middle of summer...balance is so nice for the body eh?...

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: August 12, 2009 04:12AM

i think id really like to check out uraguay smiling smiley its about the same distance from the equator as northern california is north .. but its south of the equator smiling smiley and i hear the people are quite lovely smiling smiley

new zealand would be too much like canada is to me , which dont get me wrong i love but i think i need warmer pastures in my future .. but not tooooo warm winking smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: August 12, 2009 04:28AM

It really depends where you live in New Zealand since it is so long from the northern tip to the southern tip, so there are some places in the country that are like Canada, but there are others that are near tropical. However, Whakatane is nothing like Canada. It's the middle of winter here (since it's the southern hemisphere) and 60°F today. It NEVER snows, so the climate is always mild. We have fruit trees including orange trees by our house and they don't need protection in winter.

Date: August 12, 2009 04:31AM

what is your lattitude in relation to the equator? smiling smiley i know some folks in southern bc canada growing some citrus although i wouldnt call it a viable crop here tho it is possible smiling smiley

i dont know if its possible for there to be a perfect place to live .. if there was we would all flock there and the world would tip over from all the imbalanced weight tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/2009 04:32AM by Jgunn.

Date: August 13, 2009 02:05AM

uraguay.
*chanelling homer* "hee hee, this country is called U-R-Gay!"

shoot. i am such a juvenile delinquent.

this actually kind of sucks but check it out
[www.skyscrapercity.com]

ah nelson, it was such a beautiful community of creative individuals but... so much drama. too many women, not enough men. no jobs, so much weed. so expensive, no jobs (except weed). it was sad, really. i miss it a bunch but... not all of it.

new zealand however... but how does one go about moving to a place like that, eh? it's awfully far from my family but... for paradise i'd travel a fair distance. i need more beauty in my life. and more berries too!

Date: August 15, 2009 02:37PM

New Zealand sounds pretty nice...60s...mmm...not bad...I am looking for about 70's and that is what feels balanced to me right now...but into the 80's a bit during the day with some warm sun is nice...not too humid and not too dry...wow, does the place existwinking smiley

Can anyone tell me anything about Tepoztlan Mexico? It is about an hour/half from Mexico City. Anyone that has been there ...climate..??

Date: August 21, 2009 05:55PM

coco Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> uraguay.
> *chanelling homer* "hee hee, this country is
> called U-R-Gay!"
>
> shoot. i am such a juvenile delinquent.

coco you crack me up !

Posted by: TroySantos ()
Date: August 23, 2009 11:14AM

I've lived in several Asian countries and my favorite is Thailand. Hot and humid in summers but boy there are so many positives. And, shoot, I handle heat and humidity pretty well.

I am next strongly considering Belize. There's an opportunity there that awaits me. If I get there in time, if it's a good match, and if a couple of other things work out, boy, that's where I just might sit for the rest of my days.

This way is not compatible with Zen practice. This way IS Zen practice. - Dr. Doug Graham

Nothing whatsoever should be attached to. - Buddha

Date: February 25, 2010 02:10AM

Have just started a Raw Food Meetup in Bangkok/Thailand. Please join if you are heading out this way!

[www.meetup.com]

Cheers,
Nicole

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: February 28, 2010 04:43AM

pborst,

"In Washington State, Astoria, Olympia, and Port Angeles. Was always interested in Bellingham. University town (Western Washington Univ), mild climate, easy driving to Victoria & Vancouver, BC (assuming it's with passport now, like everywhere else). Clouds I can deal with. I think I'd take Bellingham."

I live in Bellingham. Driving to Vancouver is not difficult, if it were not for the boarder crossing. You have to get on a ferry to go to Victoria. Its actually south of Bellingham!

Earthamas question had multiple parts. My perception of the area is that its not particularly raw vegan friendly. Not raw, not even vegan friendly. Bellingham is a great place if you like traditional American meals,Breaded meat & potatoes, fast food, and value meals. Its even difficult to find a restaurant which has whole grain bread. I have heard more than one person say that wonder bread, white pasta, and white rice are health foods. And yes, they said that seriously. This isn't advocating anything. Its just what I observed in the area.

There are a lot of wooded areas around Bellingham, and fresh air. But a lot of people smoke. I am continually disappointed by how often I smell the smell of cheap cigarettes. It actually seems about as often as a much larger city, like Seattle or San Francisco.

Bellingham is not particularly multicultural. The profile is as follows: 88% white, 1% African American, 1% Native American, 4% Asian, and 6% mixed or other.
[www.idcide.com]

WWU doesn't seem to have much influence on the above statistics, or increased awareness or sensitivity. There is also a strong fundamentalist Christian influence in the area. I am not part of the 88% majority, and I am not a church goer. I cannot say that I experienced a sense of being welcome here. And in fact I have experienced some pretty profound bias which I have never experienced elsewhere.

Some people have said that Bellingham and whatcom county are good places to raise children. I don't have children, so I don't know. The weather is mild for the most part, its true. It can however have high winds in winter storms, and the winters are NOT for someone prone to seasonal affected disorder or depression. Completely overcast days are common in the winter, with many rainy days.

Its odd but in the winter 40 degrees F feels like the 0 F elsewhere. The 75 F of summer feels like the 103 of elsewhere. A few years ago it actually reached 97 here, and that was pretty unbearable for most people. I was surprised however, I didn't feel uncomfortable at all. The last place I worked at just drove me crazy. When it was 65-70 people were complaining of how hot it was, and cranked up the AC to bring the room down to 45-50. And then they all put on a sweater! Of course in the winter they brought the room up to 90 and drank ice water...go figure!

Bellingham might be ideal for certain people, but its not for everyone. I am moving out of the area in the near future.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2010 04:45AM by Mislu.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: February 28, 2010 08:58AM

AAhhhh - I can hardly bear to read this post. I am looking out of my window at the wind and rain and it is freezing. It has been like this for months and it will continue until if we are lucky sometime in April - or April could be foul as well.

For the last 3 years we have had cool wet summers - I think the barbecue came out 3 or 4 times last summer and not at all the 2 summers preceding. I would move like a shot but my partners tap root goes deep into the earth here. When my youngest leaves his school (it's a democratic school that he adores - i can't move him) I might have to go on my own - i feel that strongly about the weather. I feel like the winter kills me and when we don't get any summer either - phew - sorry - this post really caught me off guard - I shouldn't have read it.

Good luck with finding your new home

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables