Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Detoxing Lead with Canning Pectin
Posted by: tropical ()
Date: February 28, 2010 04:47PM

Anyone ever use pectin to detox lead?

I was lucky to have the book Diet, Crime and Delinquency by Alexander Schauss fall into my hands. It's a tiny book, only about 100 pages but he thought that lead was so important that he devoted 17 of those pages to lead, it's effects on behavior and how to detox it.

One method he mentions is EDTA, which is also used for artery chelation, but that also has side-effects and damages the renal cells in the kidneys, possibly leading to kidney failure (no joke).[www.livestrong.com]

Under dietary measures he mentions nutrients, Vit C, sodium alginate (from kelp), fiber, calcium, phosphorus and also pectin. The quote from the book about pectin:

"Pectin, found abundantly in apples, binds with toxic metals and assists in their elimination. Dr. Glenn H. Joseph reports in Nutrition Research that during digestion, pectin is transformed into galactouronic acid, a cleansing agent which combines with lead to form an insoluble metalic salt. Since the salt cannot be absorbed from the gut, it passes out with the stool."

I thought that was so interesting that I set out to buy some pectin. I found some in the canning section of my grocery store, it also has dextrose and citric acid in it. Yes, I know that they sell pectin supplements but I wanted some that day and a quick search online turned up "modified pectin supplements", what's up with modifying pectin? I'll just stick with the unmodified canning pectin.

I took a spoon or two of it straight on an empty stomach and that was probably too much because I felt tired for days and had a headache for a short time. After learning that lesson I'm continuing to take it in smaller ammounts and I do think that my head feels a little clearer!

The book had a list of SYMPTOMS OF LEAD TOXICITY that was interesting:

CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM
Hyperactivity, mild neurological disability, perceptual disorders, headache, insomnia, emotional instability, loss of coordination, restlessness, vertigo, clumsiness, confusion, depression and, in younger children, mental retardation. Lead can also be transmitted to the child by its mother through the placenta (i.e. transplancental lead)

ABDOMINAL OR GASTRO-INTESTINAL
Diarrhea, loss of appetite, abdominal colic or cramping, loss of weight, constipation, malaise and nausea.

NEUROMUSCULAR
Fatigue, muscular discomfort and weakness, gout and atrophy. It can also include degeneration of motor neurons and axons.

OTHER SIGNS
General signs of diminished vitality, difficulty handling stress, impaired kidney function, irritability, episodic vomiting, and in severe cases, lead encephalopathy or brain damage.

COMMON IN CHILDREN
Hyperactivity, temper tantrums, withdrawals, frequent crying for no apparent reason, fearfulness, refusal to play, drowsiness, learning disabilities, speech distubances, perceputal motor disfuntions, sizures or convulsions, ataxia, and emotional or behavior problems.

The book on Amazon, but the cover of my copy had a picture of this hoodlum stabbing donuts with a knife on it!:
[www.amazon.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/28/2010 05:01PM by tropical.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Detoxing Lead with Canning Pectin
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: February 28, 2010 05:59PM

In the past, I have successfully taken dehydrated apple pectin in a veg gelatin capsule to chelate excess cholesterol from my liver. That is what it is sometimes prescribed for allopathically . . .

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 28, 2010 06:02PM

pectin is a good chelator, along with seaweeds which are my fave for detoxing heavy metals.

Posted by: kwan ()
Date: March 01, 2010 03:59PM

One of the best ways to detox heavy metals is the infrared sauna, if you have access to one.

Sharrhan:

[www.facebook.com]

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: March 01, 2010 04:41PM

infrared sauna is a good detox tool in general, i use mines regularly.

modifilan is a good seaweed supplement geared towards detoxing metals.

Date: March 01, 2010 04:52PM

sorry to be a dimwit, but wouldn't eating a bag of apples be just as powerful?

< pectin noob.

Posted by: hiddenfang ()
Date: March 01, 2010 05:22PM

Pectin is supremely cooked! How does this fit the raw food diet? I love the taste of canning pectin, but does it not contradict the raw food lifestyle?

Posted by: dvdai ()
Date: March 01, 2010 08:55PM

if the pectin gets rid of heavy metals with no adverse side effects, isn't that more important than a strict raw vegan lifestyle? I mean, if they are better off in the long run.

david

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 02, 2010 01:56AM

things that are taken medicinally fall outside of the catagory of food stuffs to me. If I need tea, pectin, etc, I will have it. There is a strictness about these "raw rules" that excludes some common sense sometimes.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 02, 2010 08:35AM

kwan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> One of the best ways to detox heavy metals is the
> infrared sauna, if you have access to one.
I've heard that too. Brian Clement says it best....WY

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: juicin' john ()
Date: March 02, 2010 05:25PM

tropical.......thank you for an excellent posting!

coco...good point..without the mental flexability and self confidence of knowing how to bend the raw rules when needed ....sad to say would be a lame brain. lol

juicin' john

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables