Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Thailand Report
Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: June 28, 2008 02:14PM

Hello from Bangkok. My fears of not being able to eat as I would like were completely unfounded. There is an abundance of fresh fruit available everywhere I have been. I've never had so much coconut water as I have had in the past three days. Raw vegetables are not in such abundance (I don't know if they believe in salad too much here) but I am enjoying all the fresh fruits and the fresh juices from fruits.

The fruit is plentiful and relatively inexpensive compared to the USA prices.

Today, my travelling companion and I went to the world's biggest market, Chatuchak. Just about everything you can think of is there. Google it! It's a consumer's paradise. It was very hot and I drank more different types of fresh squeezed juices than I can count. For lunch while there I had a big plate of fresh fruits. My travelling companion is, sadly, about 75 pounds overweight. He ate the Thai equivalent of SAD food. I was not tempted at all. The cooked food here can be tempting but it isn't a food paradise with ALL healthful food. People can find white bread and flesh and grease and Pepsi when they want. Anywhere.

I did not buy any consumer goods. It was just very interesting to see it all. My friend bought many different things. I had to help him carry all his stuff back to our hotel. He is a good person at heart, but we have some different values. I don't feel compelled to buy every thing I want.

It's rather odd... just like at work, when I eat, my friend is jealous of my food. He complains about his energy level and his weight problems... but he doesn't connect the dots. I woke up early this morning and went to a street vendor and bought fresh cut papaya, watermelon, pineapple, and fresh squeezed (right in front of me) orange juice for both of us. He ate it because I told him too and he was too polite to refuse then he chased it all down with "Thai coffee" (instant coffee, a little hot water, and a lot of condensed milk), then he announced he was ready for breakfast.

It just never ceases to amaze me.

I hope all is well with everyone on this wonderful forum.

I am considering either a side trip to Chaing Mai or to Ankor Wat. I haven't decided yet.

Please forgive my spelling errors. Firfox hasn't made it's way to this Internet cafe yet.

Lee

PS: Bryan, you can say, "I told you so!" because, you did tell me that there was plenty of fresh fruit here. smiling smiley

[www.dhamma.org]

"May all beings be happy."

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thailand Report
Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: June 28, 2008 02:42PM

Lee.....It must be difficult to get proper food when traveling. I'm sure it's not Organic, but one can't be too picky away from home. I have a friend in Thailand, and may visit him someday. I've always wanted to go to India, which is steeped with a rich Spiritual heritage. The Sadhus and Babas are calling to me.
Enjoy your journey......WY

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 28, 2008 02:47PM

hi lee

sounds like yer having a blast

and lots of color too

send us pics of the market/fruits if u wish

never been to thailand
wish to go some day\

Posted by: maui_butterfly ()
Date: June 29, 2008 07:43AM

glad you're having fun lee!!! i could live on coconuts and those sweet thai watermelons. lucky devil you.

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: June 29, 2008 10:55AM

I tried durian today. I'm not sure what the fuss is about. I thought it was ok. It didn't smell stinky to me. And to me it didn't seem all that great. Just ok, in my opinion.

I'm sure none of what I am eating is organic, but it is fresh and ripe and readily available.

I just have my camera phone but will try and get some pictures and upload them when I get back. I have a very nice digital camera that I left at home because I didn't want to carry it! I need to find a smaller camera because I don't like to lug around the brick I have now.

Take care everybody --

Lee

[www.dhamma.org]

Posted by: gorillawar ()
Date: June 29, 2008 12:42PM

Me and my partner have wanted to go to Thailand for quite some time. Maybe in another year or two it will be realized.

It sounds like a great adventure. Please do send photos if you are able!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 25, 2010 02:15AM

Have just started a Raw Food Meetup in Bangkok/Thailand. Please join if you are still around!

[www.meetup.com]

Cheers,
Nicole

Date: February 25, 2010 04:45PM

Lee_123 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I tried durian today. I'm not sure what the fuss
> is about. I thought it was ok. It didn't smell
> stinky to me. And to me it didn't seem all that
> great. Just ok, in my opinion.

Haha. I think the smell is one of those things that starts to bother you the longer you have durian around. I didn't think it was unbearably stinky, but then, my boyfriend had his hand over his face the whole time we were taking it home!

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: February 25, 2010 07:10PM

im sad to say ive never tried a coconut or coconut water yet so cant wait till i find somewhere here that sells them.

sounds like your having a good time, i study muay thai(thai boxing) so once a little more well will be heading out there myself.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 04, 2010 12:33AM

Hello all, I am living in Laos, north of Thailand, and I am just wondering if anyone knows of there being a problem with drinking coconut water on a very regular basis. I have 2 a day, one in the morning and one at night. I know they are amazingly healthy but I was just wondering if I can be getting too much of a good thing. Also sometimes I don't want to eat the meat, am I missing out by doing this? Should I always eat the meat? Thanks smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables