Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The more research I do, the more confusion ensues...re: raw carob powder--
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 08, 2010 06:45PM

I just read a raw expert say that he started the raw carob craze and now regrets it because carob is a legume and as such, it is not healthy to consume totally raw (probably something to do with enzyme inhibitors or whatnot). Of course, he's selling his own lightly-toasted carob powder and supposedly it's a healthier choice.

Anyone ever heard of this point of view regarding raw carob? I am trying to find some but now am not sure it's a good idea...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The more research I do, the more confusion ensues...re: raw carob powder--
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 08, 2010 07:47PM

I'm not going to comment on carob. But the comment about legumes sounds silly to me. Yes, some raw legumes are toxic, e.g. kidney beans, but others such as lentils, mung bean, and chickpeas are fine and I consume them daily. Regarding enzyme inhibitors, that's why you soak and sprout it, to deactivate the enzyme inhibitors. So, carob, juries out for me. Wasn't a big chocolate fan when I ate cooked. But the logic about legumes doesn't make sense, to me at least unless it is something specific to caraob.

Posted by: debbietook ()
Date: March 09, 2010 06:36PM

Hi banana who

I've often eaten carob raw, as have people through the centuries (although of course that doesn't necessarily mean it's a good thing to do!).

Who is this 'raw expert'?

I would have thought if he's a 'raw expert' then he'd have come to the logical conclusion that, if something can't be eaten raw, then we shouldn't be eating it full stop. To try to 'correct'something in it via TOASTING (with all the carcinogens, eg acrylamides, and destruction of some nutrients, ie resulting in an unbalanced food) is illogical.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/09/2010 06:37PM by debbietook.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 09, 2010 07:30PM

<Who is this 'raw expert'?>

LOL! I Googled the article and it was from this site!!! I just searched here and cannnot find it but I will link when I do.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables