Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

cacao question
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 09, 2010 02:17AM

Does raw cacao beans/nibs/powder have caffeine? I have researched/read/asked if it does/doesn't and I get yes/no answers. I did buy some nibs and they made me jittery, so I personally would assume they do, but does anyone know for sure? Also, what about cocao butter? (what is it, have caffeine?? )
thx jul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cacao question
Posted by: rawpreston ()
Date: March 09, 2010 04:15AM

Cacao has a tiny amount of caffeine, but the primary stimulant in it is theobromine, which is similar to caffeine (and it's also one of the byproducts of caffeine metabolism by the liver). Theobromine is the chemical which can be toxic to dogs and cats.
[en.wikipedia.org]

I don't believe cacao butter has significant amounts of theobromine since it should be 100% fat.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 09, 2010 07:34PM

Um yeah, but as the other poster mentioned, it's mostly theobromine. I am sure there is a synergystic effect, though, where the two stimulants come together and are more powerful than each one alone. I read an equivalent between raw cacao powder and a cup of coffee. I cannot remember the exact number, but it was pretty similar in stimulation. I would think that if you are sensitive to caffeine, cacao isn't the answer for you.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 10, 2010 12:22PM

thank you for your input, I guess I'll stick with carob!

Posted by: ela ()
Date: March 10, 2010 11:40PM

My personal experience has been that raw cacao, especially powder (as opposed to nibs or whole beans), has a much more stimulating effect on my body than regular 'cooked' cocoa does, and I've seen this mentioned by others too. Whether this is caused by caffeine/theobromine/something else is an interesting question, as I don't know what changes caffeine undergoes when heated...

seeing is freeing
hearing is clearing
feeling is healing

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables