Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Making the most of your nuts and seed intake on a lowfat diet.
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 12, 2010 06:15PM

I wanted to start a thread on making the most of your limited nut and seed intake, esp if you are on a primarily low-fat fruit and vegetable based raw vegan diet.

Considerations:
* the number of pates, salad dressings, milks, butters and other things we use nuts and seeds for
* our like or dislike for particular nuts or seeds [i.e. Brazil Nuts, big and full of selenium but questions about GMO and difficulty in passing make them problematic for some folks]
* the Omega 3 to Omega 6 range of a nut or seed (ideally within 1:4 Omega 3 to Omega six, flax, chia and hemp seeds as well as walnuts exhibit this, walnuts might be 1 to 5.).
* is it truely raw, think cashews
* weight of evidence that a particular nut is health supporting. Here's where almonds shine. Also calcium in unhulled sesame seeds!!! winking smiley

My take:

* I incorporate an Omega 3 rich nut or seed daily (i.e. flax or walnuts but not both).
* I make sure to include nutrient rich non-Omega 3 rich nuts and seeds at least 3 times a week: unhulled sesame, almonds, pistachios (raw).

Most of my nut and seed intake includes: flax, chia, hemp and sesame seed, walnuts, almonds, pistachios and macademias. 1-2 ounce limit. Both loose and mixed content. How do you make the most of your nuts and seeds?

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Making the most of your nuts and seed intake on a lowfat diet.
Posted by: Trive ()
Date: March 12, 2010 07:26PM

My take:

I don't make myself eat nuts and/or seeds daily, although I have them often by choice. That's because I have become more and more of an intuitive eater, including how much nut/seed I have. For example, I'll look around my kitchen and think, "What do I want to eat today?" Then I go with my desires. If it is no nuts - fine. If it is a handful of walnuts - fine.

Sometimes I want sesame seeds for days and days in a row in pate', salad, salad dressing. Every now and then I feel compelled to eat soak flax seeds and eat them plain with a squirt if Braggs - not in any recipe, just by itself. Weird, I know, but it can really hit the spot for me. Yesterday was a no nut/no seed day. Today? Who knows? (I don't yet.)

I like eating this way because it is stress-free. I am not overly-focused on what I need to eat, although I know that I get plenty of variety of nuts and seeds over time.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: March 12, 2010 09:27PM

I often like the same nuts or seeds for several days in a row and then go on to something else for a while.

Today's a fast day, but tomorrow I'll be eating two-day sprouted sunflower and sesame seeds. Delicious!

On my running days, I often make a point of having chia (and no other nut/seed) earlier in the day before I run, because I seem to run better and with minimal thirst. Then, if I want some other kind of nut/seed later on, I'll eat it.

My nut/seed staples are usually sesame seed, sunflower seed, chia, jungle peanuts, spoon meat coconut, and macadamia nuts (we have our own, when we can pick them up before the wild critters eat them!).

Sunfood has assured me that their raw organic Brazil nuts are all hand-cracked and raw, so I ordered some.

I like having some avocado on most days too - but not a lot.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/12/2010 09:37PM by suncloud.

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: March 12, 2010 09:46PM

Forgot to say that I usually don't make things out of nuts/seeds except to soak and/or sprout them minimally. I do eat them at the same meal with fruits, but usually eat them separately, rather than mixed up.

Major exception for me is macadamia nuts eaten with apple bananas. Superb!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables