Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

FOOD FIGHT!!! Let's make fruit salad outta these turkeys!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 19, 2010 03:00PM

Have y'all read about Gov. Jennifer Granholm's declaration of Saturday March 20th as a "meat out" day? She's not even all that radical as far as I can tell, just saying "Hey, why not eschew meat for one day and see how y'all feel?" as a sort of way to illuminate different dietary choices that are maybe, just possibly (totally in line w officially accepted nutritional guidelines btw) a wee bit healthier than the average diet these days. But BOY Howdy, the yahoos are up in arms! You should hear the fracass the meat mongers are making, it's unbelievable. Like this little lady and her gentle proclamation are somehow a threat to the entire good ol' boy lifestyle. Geez Louise.

Below is the text of just one article I googled. I urge you all to write some letters and emails in support of this moderate and mindful proposition and encourage her Not to rescind! Let's show her she's got some support and isn't entirely surrounded by carnivorous wackos.

Gov. Jennifer Granholm declared Saturday "Meatout Day," and political lobbies representing animal farmers, hunters and fishers are having a cow.

The proclamation encourages Michigan residents to cut meat from their diets for the day. The nationwide Meatout campaign, which has been running since 1985, encourages people across America to eschew meat and animal-based products for a day "and explore a wholesome, compassionate diet of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains."

In reaction, the Michigan United Conservation Clubs, the hunting lobby group behind Michigan Out of Doors Magazine, has released its own proclamation: they declared March 20 - and all days thereafter - as "Michigan Meat Eaters Day," starting a Facebook page for the effort. Since March 16 around 9:21 p.m., the group has amassed 406 fans.

Granholm's endorsement of the Meatout campaign has also angered some farmers' groups; the Michigan Farm Bureau called it "an insensitive slap in the face" to livestock farmers. The Senate, riled by the political outcry, voted 25-12 for a resolution urging Granholm to rescind her proclamation.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: FOOD FIGHT!!! Let's make fruit salad outta these turkeys!
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 19, 2010 08:39PM

coconuts,

As you know, I am a proud Michigander, but the response to this fairly reasonable declaration truly astonished me: Where the &%$@ do these &%$@*^# think they are--TEXAS?!

The most galling thing about this is that Governor Jen didn't couch this in terms of a celebration of springtime agriculture. As far as food goes, Michigan is known for produce--cherries, blueberries, apples, asparagus--and we handily compete with California and Washington state for diversity of crops. We are not known for cattle, pork, or chicken, and never will be. This is perhaps a bitter pill for meat producers to swallow, but swallow it they must, like grownups. Instead, they raise a stink that not only makes us all look anthropologically retarded, but that also completely negates the existence and importance of our many dedicated expert fruit and vegetable farmers. This is a professional breach of etiquette not to be borne. The meagre help given these people by our stupid farm bill legislation isn't bad enough; now their own colleagues want to kick them while they're down. It makes me so mad I wanna spit.

As far as health goes, Michigan is known for skyrocketing obesity and cancer rates. It is news to no one, including the meat producers of our beautiful state, that meat causes disease and that fruits and vegetables reverse disease. Meat producers have wisely remained mute on this point through previous association or organization sponsored "meat-outs." Perhaps it's that they are so very anxious about maintaining the slimmest of profits in our terrible regional economy that prompted such a backlash. Perhaps it's that communication in this country has deteriorated to the level of lower primates. I cannot say, except that neither reason merits such a gross display of aggression and bone ignorance.

The Governor really missed an opportunity here. Had she presented this as a pro-fruit and veggie day, no one would have dared criticize her, because it would have meant denigrating the farmers who have contributed so much to our state's greatest prosperity and values. Which is shameful, and not in any way reflective of the Wolverine Spirit.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 19, 2010 08:49PM

Another view:

[freep.com]

Posted by: suncloud ()
Date: March 19, 2010 08:56PM

Thanks coco for your post. I never knew about "Meatout Day". Apparently it's global, and it's tomorrow!

I love hearing about good things happening. For anyone interested, here's a link:

[www.meatout.org]

Too bad about the controversy, but that's the way it is for now.

Good for the Guv!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 20, 2010 03:49AM

"they raise a stink that...makes us all look anthropologically retarded" *snort!* LOL darlin', tell it!

Oh Tam, please please please will you forward that to the good gov. herself? Word for word you eloquent woman you. DO IT! The paper too. Or do you mind if I do? You said it so wonderfully.

Your link is the actual article from the newspaper my mom read to me. It's still unbelievable to me, I can't get over the stark raving ignorance. Sheesh.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables