Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Rediscovering mangos. Anti-cancer properties.
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 29, 2010 12:39PM

To a healthy skeptic like myself, when a scoring system such as the one Joel Fuhrman came up with for fruit (Andi, Mandi scores) which measure the nutrient density per calorie fails to inform on the overall health protectiveness of a fruit or vegetable, it gets my attention. I have been using the Fuhrman ANDI score guide to inform my fruit and vegetable intake. And I will continue to do so subject to the following. One thing I like about Joel Fuhrman is that he understands that research evolves, new data provides evidence for improvements in health advice and health products (e.g. taking folic acid out of his Gentle Care multivamin). And so I am pleased that I learned about the lowly mango (andi score 51) having a biological effect much greater than it's score would have predicted. [www.diseaseproof.com] To some extent, this is partly don't believe everything you hear or read, but also be open to new possibilities. In this case, a Fuhrman cite exposed a huge error to its "Nutritarian" scoring system, which I appreciate. They are trading off their credibility (overall) with the credibility of the scoring system. I appreciate their transparency even though this post was written in January and I am just discovering it now.

Fresh fruits and vegetables it appears can do wonderful things beyond what science can measure at any given point in time. When someone can produce a similar study on what cooked pork can do with cancer cells, I may revisit (lol). But I really appreciate the Fuhrman people being so transparent and raising the "lowly" mango. smiling smiley

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Rediscovering mangos. Anti-cancer properties.
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: March 29, 2010 02:48PM

What bothers me about the extract of the study cited[footnote 5] is that it is unclear what parts of the mango were used, or what form. Just the flesh? The flesh and the skin(which I imagine would be high in gallotannins)? The pit? Thanks for posting; I have six ripe organic mangos on the sideboard and shall hie me to binge directly : )

Posted by: Krefcenz ()
Date: March 29, 2010 10:38PM

Tamukha Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What bothers me about the extract of the study
> cited is that it is unclear what parts of the
> mango were used, or what form. Just the flesh?
> The flesh and the skin(which I imagine would be
> high in gallotannins)? The pit? Thanks for
> posting; I have six ripe organic mangos on the
> sideboard and shall hie me to binge directly : )

The pit is pretty inedible. I would assume just the flesh.

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: March 29, 2010 11:46PM

I love, love, love mangos, but haven't had a decent one in a couple of yearssad smiley
I don't know what the deal is, but they have been very thready, not juicy, the usual bummers. Heaven is a fresh, ripe mango that's not stringy!

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: March 30, 2010 01:31AM

Mangos aren't any Fun!! The stringy fiber
is always getting stuck between my teeth.
Besides, Mangos from out of our Country are run through
a hot-water bath before entering the States.....someone told me
that....a long-time Raw Foodist. She still eats them the last I heard.....WY

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: March 30, 2010 05:55PM

I'm not a high sugar fad raw food diet proponent. But I gotta say I love my mangos. smiling smiley They are wunderbare. Hat's off to Tina Jo from Splenderintheraw.com for making it easy! Thanks Tina.

[www.remember.org]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables