Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Bloodwork / What's good for the liver?
Posted by: CJJ ()
Date: April 19, 2010 05:14PM

I got results of some bloodwork this morning. My CO2 was low (19) and my bilirubins were elevated (1.7). Bilirubins were elevated a few years ago, too. Makes me wonder how bad I abused my liver in my SAD days (socially akward driiiiinker).

Anyone ever worked on liver repair through raw foods / herbs?

~CJJ

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bloodwork / What's good for the liver?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: April 19, 2010 06:00PM

The liver is just like any other organ. The whole body needs nutrient rich raw foods and it will heal itself. The healing process can sometimes be difficult, releases of toxic substances from the body. I only know my body, and it responds much better to real foods.

Posted by: pborst ()
Date: April 19, 2010 07:31PM

Milk thistle

[en.wikipedia.org]

"Health benefits

For many centuries extracts of milk thistle have been recognized as "liver tonics.".[15] Research into the biological activity of silymarin and its possible medical uses has been conducted in many countries since the 1970s, but the quality of the research has been uneven.[4] Milk thistle has been reported to have protective effects on the liver and to greatly improve its function. It is typically used to treat liver cirrhosis, chronic hepatitis (liver inflammation), toxin-induced liver damage (including the prevention of severe liver damage from Amanita phalloides (death cap) mushroom poisoning), and gallbladder disorders.[16].[17] Reviews of the literature covering clinical studies of silymarin vary in their conclusions. A review using only studies with both double-blind and placebo protocols concluded that milk thistle and its derivatives "does not seem to significantly influence the course of patients with alcoholic and/or hepatitis B or C liver diseases."[18] A different review of the literature, performed for the U. S. Department of Health and Human Services, found that, while there is strong evidence of legitimate medical benefits, the studies done to date are of such uneven design and quality that no firm conclusions about degrees of effectiveness for specific conditions or appropriate dosage can yet be made. [19]

A review of studies of silymarin and liver disease which are available on the web shows an interesting pattern in that studies which tested low dosages of silymarin concluded that silymarin was ineffective[20], while studies which used significantly larger doses concluded that silymarin was biologically active and had therapeutic effects.[21]
[edit] Toxin-induced liver damage

Research suggests that milk thistle extracts both prevent and repair damage to the liver from toxic chemicals and medications. Workers who had been exposed to vapors from toxic chemicals (toluene and/or xylene) for 5-20 years were given either a standardized milk thistle extract (80% silymarin) or placebo for 30 days.[22] The workers taking the milk thistle extract showed significant improvement in liver function tests (ALT and AST) and platelet counts vs. the placebo group.

The efficacy of silymarin in preventing drug-induced liver damage in patients taking psychotropic drugs long-term has been investigated .[23] This class of drugs is known to cause liver damage from oxidation of lipids. Patients taking silymarin in the study had less hepatic damage from the oxidation of lipids than patients taking the placebo.

In a 2009 study published in the journal Cancer, milk thistle showed promise in reducing the liver damaging effects of chemotherapy in a study of 50 children.[1]"

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: April 19, 2010 08:04PM

milk thistle is a good herb for the regeneration of the liver and protecting it but not great for cleansing the liver unless used as a bitter.

bitter herbs are the best tool you can get for cleansing the liver, be sure to up your water intake as they detox your liver fairly intensely. Artichoke is one of my favorite liver herbs.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: April 19, 2010 08:30PM

I would agree that those are good herbs that are mentioned, but personally I would rather do detox/cleanse flushes. Master cleanse/liver/gallbladder cleanses, etc.

Beet juice is a good one for liver cleansing. Alone it may be too strong a cleanser, I would suggest Beet/celery/apple, Beet/carrot/apple, etc.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables