Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Ripening fruits = less acids
Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: April 07, 2010 05:33PM

Yo!
Will the mainstream-too-early-picked-fruits make them less acid (in our bloodstream) if you ripe them properly (soft and aromatic)?

Love

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Ripening fruits = less acids
Posted by: loeve ()
Date: April 12, 2010 12:37PM

Fruit chemistry changes while ripening making them less acidic on the palete and easier to digest and so I'm going to guess yes, they will be less acid in the bloodstream as well, even though an "ash" test might not back me up...

Date: April 20, 2010 10:25AM

Healthybun Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
"...if you ripen them properly..."

Then, some fruits don't ripen after they are picked. Pineapples picked too early stay unripe, though it's possible to get them to soften a bit.

What are the best fruits to buy unripe and then let ripen in the kitchen? Bananas...?

Posted by: phoeniximago ()
Date: April 20, 2010 10:48AM

Have had pretty good results with pears as long as they've not been bashed around too much previously. Ditto Mangoes and Avocados...

Not sure whether it actually makes any difference in the bloodstream. I would have thought they'd always be alkali by the time they're actually digested. However they'll be a whole lot less acid and certainly a lot softer and kinder on your digestive system if they're ripe.

Rob

Date: April 20, 2010 12:06PM

So there is still just gessing and a myth that ripening fruits will make them more alkaline?

I gess it don't matter because I'll always eat ripe fruits because it tastes better.
But what can I say to people that eat stone-pears and green bananas? Great, for the complex carbs, but will it also make them more acid?

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: April 20, 2010 12:26PM

Healthybun,

Not sure what a stone pear is, and some green bananas are plantains(at least culinarily). Everyone I've ever met whose eaten under ripe bananas has done so because they weren't raised to know how to select fruit for consumption. Sad, yes, because little monkey babies in the jungle have more knowledge.

There are a few foods that are still digestible and enzyme rich when under ripe, like the green papaya that is ubiquitous in Southeast Asian cooking, but most fruits are eaten ripe for a reaon--they make your tummy hurt otherwise!

Date: April 20, 2010 01:03PM

Yes, unripe fruits like raw green bananas are going to digest more slowly or incompletely and might end up fermenting in the lower intestine , especially if not combined well with other food. Fermentation is an acid producing process, the byproducts of it that is. It's a case where an "ash test" on an unripe fruit might indicate 'alkaline' due to its alkaline minerals but the result can be mildly acidic on the system due to poor digestive results.

Date: April 20, 2010 01:05PM

Yeah, and when people hurt their tummy, they stop eat all fruit and say "I can't eat fruit". Sad.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I meant pears that are hard as stone. smiling smiley

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 21, 2010 12:56AM

I dislike unripened fruits except for one thing: bananas! I like bananas when they are pure yellow and firm but not yet spotty. I just prefer the flavor and texture and have never had a problem with digesting them. They actually seem heartier and the really ripe ones seem too sugary.

Posted by: tropical ()
Date: April 22, 2010 10:27PM

From the chart at the bottom of the page:
[www.rense.com]

Bananas (green) have a ph of 6.5 - which is acidic

Bananas (ripe) have a ph of 8.0 - which is alkaline

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: April 22, 2010 11:51PM

tropical Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> From the chart at the bottom of the page:
> [www.rense.com]
>
> Bananas (green) have a ph of 6.5 - which is
> acidic
>
> Bananas (ripe) have a ph of 8.0 - which is
> alkaline

Hmm...when I say I like them firm, they are yellow and not green. Occasionally I see a bit of green right by the stem, but I try not to eat them at that point. But I love bananas when they are pure yellow and unspeckled. They just have a less sugary taste and are less mushy. I am not too concerned about how alkaline it may or may not be. It's certainly better than a piece of meat or slice of cheese!

Date: April 23, 2010 10:03AM

Thank you tropical for the link. At least I got something to back me up now. smiling smiley

Date: April 23, 2010 10:57AM

I like the way tropical's link sums it up speaking of alkaline or acid "forming" foods, as opposed to some other sites which strictly use the residual ash test of pH --

"Generally, alkaline forming foods include: most fruits, green vegetables, peas, beans, lentils, spices, herbs and seasonings, and seeds and nuts.

"Generally, acid forming foods include: meat, fish, poultry, eggs, grains, and legumes."

Oh, and bananas (green) must refer to varieties that are traditionally bought green and then cooked, like plantains? So cooked green bananas might be considered "moderate acid forming" according to rense.com.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2010 11:09AM by loeve.

Date: April 23, 2010 11:43AM

"Bananas can be ordered by the retailer "ungassed", and may show up at the supermarket fully green. "Guineo Verde", or green bananas that have not been gassed will never fully ripen before becoming rotten. Instead of fresh eating, these bananas are best suited to cooking, as seen in Mexican culinary dishes."
[en.wikipedia.org]

I've had pretty good luck waiting (and waiting) for green plantains to ripen. When ripe the skins are black.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables