Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Asparagus raw: who knew?
Posted by: buddhistforlife ()
Date: May 08, 2010 09:29PM

So I had purchased a bunch of asparagus at the local farmer's market thinking I would just steam them (something I would reserve for the tougher, more cruciferous veggies in my diet). I've been high raw for quite a while, but I never considered eating the spring asparagus crop raw. When I brought them out of the fridge that evening, along with some carrots I was gonna munch on, I just looked at them and decoded to take a bite. Wow-- crunchy, sweet deliciousness!

Why the fear of trying new things in their raw state? Maybe it's just past conditioning,..

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Asparagus raw: who knew?
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 08, 2010 10:03PM

I've juiced Asparagus, but never ate it raw - I will have to try that! smiling smiley

Posted by: Utopian Life ()
Date: May 08, 2010 11:22PM

I think it's better raw but still don't like the stinky pee smell from it! :p

Date: May 08, 2010 11:46PM

Re: stinky pee smell--- umm, I have yet to experience this. Maybe because I eat so many other crucifers and broccoli and sprouts and such, that they all really mix together and end up smelling the same? Sorry-- TMI?

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 09, 2010 12:29AM

Utopian Life Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think it's better raw but still don't like the
> stinky pee smell from it! :p

lol, that is how I am starting to feel about cilantro...or maybe a moth ball smell...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 09, 2010 02:38PM

raw asparagus fresh from the garden, sweet and tender, my favorite vegetable since it is one of the first to be harvested.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 09, 2010 06:17PM

u can marinate them raw by putting them in lemon juice and adding some spices like garlic and hot peppers

it will soften the fibers and they taste very nice

also u can make a dip for them
like raw tahini

this is also good

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: May 10, 2010 11:01PM

Just last night I dehydrated some asparagus lightly and served it to my mom for mother's day with a tahini sauce and salad, and it was a huge hit!

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: May 11, 2010 10:36AM

..sounds delicious. There's a wild patch of it out back of where I used to live growing up and we'd pick a stalk and eat it on the spot.

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: May 11, 2010 06:54PM

never tried raw but might give it a shot sometime soon, mental conditioning like you say lol.

if i eat large amounts of them though i get the stinky pee also.

Date: May 11, 2010 09:14PM

Yes-- give it a try, but make sure that they are fresh. I picked my bunch up at a local farmer's market, so they were not sitting around getting rubbery in the produce isle. Also, a neat trick that worked for me-- placing them (cut ends submerged) in a glass jar of cold water and storing them that way in the fridge. Even after three days they were still crunchy and sweet!

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: May 12, 2010 10:13PM

I tried asparagus raw, actually the white variety. They tasted good, and where more tender than the green type. However, I got an allergic reaction! I thought it was just me, but a few webpages caution against the use of raw asparagus, as a lot of people are sensitive to it. I don't know what changes, but something must when you cook it. I guess it leaches some of the allergens, or changes them.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables