Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Help!!!
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 07, 2010 05:10PM

I've been haveing a horrible reaction to the raw food diet. Mentally I feel great, even physically i feel pretty good. I don't feel sick, i don't feed tired, I feel happy and content...BUT I started doing this diet for weight LOSS, I started at 175lbs, and now weigh 189lbs. What's happening to me??? I've been eating almost 100% raw, except coffee and alcohol(though i drink very little, less than 5 glasses a week). A very little of my food is dehydrated, i use non raw chocolate powder in some of my smoothies, but not excessively. I eat alot, but my food is raw. I thought I was supposed to be losing. My bowels feel very full, and my stomach looks pregnant. I am shocked that I'm gaining weight, can anyone help me understand this and tell me what i'm doing wrong???

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Help!!!
Posted by: cyclopsicle ()
Date: May 07, 2010 05:52PM

What have you been eating on a day to day basis? Do you have greens in your diet at all? Nuts can be 100% raw but if that's mostly what you eat, you might gain weight. Can you give more information like when you started eating raw? I can't tell you what I "think" you're doing wrong based on a lack of information. If you're not drinking green smoothies every morning try adding that to your diet.

Posted by: rab ()
Date: May 07, 2010 05:55PM

I am by no means an expert, and I hope people with much more experience will reply and help you. I know that alcohol has a lot of calories, but you also have to be aware that, depending on what typo and how much of raw food you are eating, you can gain wait, just like with any other diet. I am sure that experience people will ask you what exactly you eat to be able to give you advice.
Switching to raw food does not only mean eating healthy, but I feel that changing life habits comes in one package. That means exercise, outdoors, creative work (garden or other), good sleep etc. Do you drink enough water?

Also, if you eat raw food, I am afraid that the effect of alcohol and coffee is even worse on you than on the SAD diet.

Posted by: desert_om ()
Date: May 07, 2010 07:08PM

I too had a similar reaction at first and was holding weight-- I didn't actually gain but I wasn't losing any weight either. Here are the things that I've found helpful in the 2+ months I've been high raw: try to drink at least half your body weight in ounces of water (i.e., 189lbs= 90 oz of water daily). Emphasize GREENS (like others are saying on here)-- I can't tell you how helpful this has been in my energy level/getting to a healthy weight! Green salads, green smoothies, green juice-- any way you can get the greens in-- and you can experiment with lots of different kinds (kale, dandelion root, celery, romaine, asparagus, broccoli etc.) Also, the mistake I made at first was not exercising enough-- I thought yoga & hiking were plenty for me because I was eating such a healthy diet, but I really needed to add more cardio. Sleep is huge. And I'll second what cyclopsicle said, which is to go easy on the nuts...

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 07, 2010 09:22PM

I wonder if this is like a dirty mirror (no offense), where you start cleaning it and it gets dirtier before it gets cleaner...So perhaps because you are stirring up toxins/impacted waste, it has clogged your system even further and when you get less toxic, you will begin to release a lot of this waste matter, and rev up your metabolism as well? I didn't read how long you have been doing this so I would be interested to know that, as well.

Posted by: stellium ()
Date: May 07, 2010 09:56PM

Track things on fitday.com to see how many calories you're REALLY eating. See what the percentages are, maybe it's too much fat. Also having to click in what you're eating will inhibit you from overeating. Also - do you exercise?

Posted by: Trive ()
Date: May 08, 2010 03:14AM

It's possible that your stomach is bloated from poor "food combining." You can read about that in Lessons 22 & 23 on this site: [www.rawfoodexplained.com]
It's interesting to read about other raw food info there too.
And for more on food combining you can check out:
[www3.telus.net]
or
[www.raw-food-living.com]

Ditto to what stellium wrote about checking your percentages of fat using fitday.com Plus there are other sites that do that sort of thing, but I can never remember their names. Nuts and avocados were the fat/calorie culprits for me. I still eat them, but sparingly. I also used to use olive oil in dressings, but don't put ANY olive oil on anything now. (I do use a little tahini, which does have fat, in salad dressings.) After getting comfortable with the amount of fat I do include, I found that I no longer need to monitor what I eat for fat percentage.

Yes, desert_om is right about green smoothies, green salads and green juice, IMO. I thrive on greens and fruit, fruit, fruit. For variety and minerals, I add different veggies to my salads and lettuce wraps. (fitday.com is good for seeing what nutrients you're low in too.)

I try to keep to 80-10-10, that is, 80% of calories from carbs, 10% protein and 10% fat, although some people find that too restrictive. I don't because I eat ALL the fruit I want throughout the day. It keeps my energy up. Anyway, if you're interested in knowing more about 80-10-10, you can check out Doug Graham's site at www.foodnsport.com

You are so smart to write in to ask for ideas from others instead of giving up without figuring out what's not working. That and experimenting will help you find out what you are comfortable with and what works for you. There are lots of variations. Some people ease into a raw diet over a long time and others go for it full on from the beginning. Some don't think it's good to eat as much fruit as I do. Some raw fooders aren't vegan, although this site is for people who are (or at least who don't promote consuming dairy products, honey, etc.) You'll find your way. Good luck!

My favorite raw vegan

Date: May 08, 2010 04:36PM

Thanks soooo Much for your thoughts! Lately I've been eating mostly smoothies with frozen bueberries, cherries or strawberries. I'd blend these together with fresh bananas(very ripe ones) I'd probably have three or four of these a day. I have been eating a lot of nuts in the past four days. I've been doing this for about a week (95% raw). I don't really eat greens, but would be willing to try their juices blended in a fuit smoothie...I like salads too, so I probably start having one of those a day. Though I usually like to put olive oil on my salad, I'll have to find a good fat free raw dressing recipie.

I don't really drink extra water during the day, I generally add water to my smoothies and if I feel thirsty I drink water.

I don't excersize at all. I figured I would sort of wait until I lost a few pounds before trying that so I waouldn't be emabarrased at the gym.

Tracking my food at fitday.com sounds tedious, but I'd be willing to give it a shot, anything that will help me get out of this rut!

I so desperately want to be thin and healthy, Raw food attracted me to it because everyone said eat as much as you want and your body will become its ideal weight. I'm not giving up though! Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Date: May 08, 2010 05:38PM

"I have been eating a lot of nuts in the past four days." - Bingo! Cut way down there and you'll see results.

Yep, adding greens like baby spinach leaves to your fruit smoothies lets you get more greens without tasting them. You only taste the fruit - I promise! (And the fiber along with fruit is filling.)

I find it hard to drink water other than in my smoothies too, unless I'm really hot or exercising hard.

For exercise I started with walking. Short distances at first and gradually increased it. (Gyms aren't my thing. Besides, walking is free.) Then I surprised myself by jogging for little bits of it. Me! Ha! I now LIKE hiking uphill. What really helped initially was having my husband drop me off a certain distance from home. When I left from home, it was easy to shorten my walk, but when I was dropped off, I had no choice, but to walk home!

For a dressing I sometimes mix a teaspoon (or two) of tahini with lemon juice or orange juice and a little apple cider vinegar. I might add some herbs, pressed garlic, or ??? It's never the same.

My favorite raw vegan

Posted by: Mama Cass ()
Date: May 08, 2010 06:32PM

if the nuts are traditional store bought nuts, those will not help- even if they're raw, they're usually rancid, moldy and cause bloating b/c of this.

i'm going to jump on the greens bandwagon- greens greens greens.

cucumbers are also really making me happy this time of year (organic or washed pickling cukes cause they're not waxed)

and try cutting out the bananas for a little while- my kids love em, but i definitely noticed after a few years raw that bananas and my system (while they taste amazing) didn't click. use another fruit, maybe a lower sugar one, or frozen mangoes (which also give a creaminess to smoothies that bananas does) if not difference is felt, throw the bananas back and and cut out strawberries. etc.

but the nuts are a far more likely problem. and use some oil in your dressings- fat makes the fat-soluble nutrients in greens better absorbed.

peace-

Date: May 08, 2010 11:08PM

Thanks for your suggestions! I feel a bit better now that I have some ideas to go off of. I guess this transition thing will take a little time to figure out what is the best for me. I'll stop with the nuts, are nuts ans seeds the same? Sesame seeds? Anyways, I'll cut them out for now and see what happens. I guess its time for me to start with the spinach again, I initailly took it out of the smoothie cuz of the texture, but maybe i'll give it another shot. Otherwise, salads work for me. Thanks again everyone!! It really is noce to have some support, there's not much of that in my community for a lifestyle of raw foods.

Posted by: arugula ()
Date: May 09, 2010 03:19AM

>are nuts ans seeds the same?

Pretty much so regarding calorie density.

You're not going to lose unless you cut calories. You can still gain weight on a raw food diet if the calories are too high. The nuts, seeds, oils, and fatty fruits (avocado, olive, coconut, etc.) are all very high in calories. Try to reach for a piece of nonfatty fruit instead, and eat more low calorie vegetables.

Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 09, 2010 04:07AM

and exercise smiling smiley if you are too embarrased to go the gym then get out an walk or bike (i hate walking personally lol) a little exercise can start to go a long way if you make it a happy habit smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: May 09, 2010 04:22PM

HMMM, cutting calories and excersize, I must admitt that's not what I wanted to hear from anyone...Oh well though, it takes wht it takes.

Date: May 09, 2010 06:10PM

As to not liking the texture of spinach in green smoothies, the trick is to use baby spinach leaves. They are sold by the bag at some stores.

My favorite raw vegan

Date: May 10, 2010 03:23PM

I only started about a week ago, eat very little nuts, and I also haven't lost weight. I drink a low carb beer most nights, and coffee in the am. I also feel like my intestines are full all the time! And I have a lot of gas!!! I have tried chewing my food more, and separating the foods...will look into the food combining site. Anyway, have been reading and researching, and tho most of what I read seems so extreme...I think cleansing may be my next step. I am going to get a colonic Friday. I keep hearing how important it is when you first start to detox. I personally never experience the amazing results from things that people are always claiming, but I will give this a try. If nothing else, I will lose the full feeling for a few days. Will let you know how it works..If it does, maybe it would work for you, too. All of us are so different, we all respond differently to our environment. I don't think any one way is the right one, unless you think it is for you...peace

Posted by: zella ()
Date: May 10, 2010 05:55PM

fresh juice or green smoothie in the morning. try and make a big enough glass to last you until lunch. wait as long as you can before having solid food. then make a big salad or have a raw meal that is lower in nuts and seeds and oil. The best way to do this is to stretch them out. if you are having a nut burger add more shredded carrots of zukes to it so it's not so dense in nuts. sometimes I will grate nuts on my salad with a parmesan crank grater.

also, use a little salt as possible. salt, alcohol and coffee are messing up the balance of water in your body. Your body is probably trying to hold onto water to make sure you don't get dehydrated.

I know it's going to be hard to cut out coffee and booze but if you have the juice or smoothie in the morning every day and keep at it...you will naturally start wanting to get off it and ween yourself down to very little and then none at all. but try not to just quit these things until you know you are ready because you will just set yourself up for failure and a binge will follow. and there will be many slip ups. Expect them..and just get back on track with smoothie or juice in the morning. every morning.

remember..with alcohol and coffee withdrawl comes headaches. So try and get through those the best you can. you will be feeling better and looking better in no time.

and I know it's programmed in us to be skinny and only go for that goal. But that is for other people. That is you trying to look good for other people and you feel if they see you looking good that will make you feel good.

once you lose the weight..you will realize that it's more about how you feel as a whole. your attitude will change and your outlook on life will change. this is not a diet..this is a lifestyle. it's also a journey that sometimes you get off the path and have to find your way back. so please start thinking on those terms and try and get off the "I just wanna eat this way to be skinny." Give yourself more credit than that. Love yourself more than that.

Vegetarian Children's Book Club ~ [VegetarianChildrensBookClub.com]

Books for and about Vegetarian, Vegan, and Raw Vegan Kids!

Posted by: zella ()
Date: May 10, 2010 05:59PM

oh and as far as exercise..I lost 80 pounds and didn't really exercise. I walked around the block sometimes. very low impact stuff. now I am able to run on the treadmill and do things I have never done in my life. But I waited until I lost a lot of the weight because it was just too hard for me to exercise with all that weight. So I would just suggest to start moving..low impact stuff. walking is good. I also joined a gym and they have this class called Nia that is a dance class that is low impact and fun. Afterwards I hit the sauna to sweat out the toxins from my previous toxic life.

anyways, hope this helps.

Vegetarian Children's Book Club ~ [VegetarianChildrensBookClub.com]

Books for and about Vegetarian, Vegan, and Raw Vegan Kids!

Date: May 11, 2010 01:18AM

Thanks for sharing everyone, the support is really helping give me hope! I'm very grateful that you relate your stories to me, your experience is inspiring and encouraging. I've added more green salads to my diet and eat fewer nuts, I also cut the coffee and the alcohol is going too. At least cutting way down. I'll post with my progress. Thanks again!

Date: May 12, 2010 06:57AM

sorry bout the bad news on exercise winking smiley i do feel your pain , you really just need to find some activity that you really enjoy .. if you dont like the traditional stuff try and find something interesting and obscure

for instance i just found a husband and wife that teach Poi spinning and hoop (hula) spinning in my own backyard ! im excited to try both and it looks really fun and hell its something different and unique ! (AND good exercise!) smiling smiley (id love to try spinning fire poi but thats pretty advanced hehe

[www.templeofpoi.com] poi vids
[www.poipixies.com] hooping vids

or something different again , swining yoga ! (i'll have to lose a few more pounds before attempting this tho haha

[swingyoga.ca] swing yoga

my point being, find something fun an run with it smiling smiley

Date: May 12, 2010 07:19AM

also NIA is a type of freeforming dance/exercise that looks kinda fun smiling smiley [www.nianow.com]

Date: May 13, 2010 12:03AM

Wow, that does sound fun!!! (The fire thing might scare me though smiling smiley I like to dance, I might feel silly dancing around all alone in my apartment, but its well worth a try. I have a free gym membership (poor college student here), I'll probably fall back into going there, as that was enjoyable for me for some time. I'm just too embarassed to go now smiling smiley I love yoga, just can't afford classes. I do some things out of a book, and what I've learned from tapes I picked up seconed hand... Someday I'm sure I'll take classes though!!

I appreciate the support!! & Thanks for the ideas.

Date: May 13, 2010 12:14AM

Wait until you master ribbon poi before you light anything up!

There is terrific contact improv dancing, many stretch and strength classes (yoga, pilates, etc) swimming, biking, simple walking or power walking are great, even drum circles can get very active and sweaty. People aren't usually judging other's bodies, I think they are mostly focused on their own if they are there for health. The judgement comes more from inside of us than anywhere else.
We have to be willing to do something to change the things we aren't enjoying. Think of it as loving yourself into terrific shape <3.

Date: May 13, 2010 04:10AM

hey dancing in yer living room acting silly is the best ! nobody to judge you but yourself smiling smiley

yea im scared i might light myself on fire too but lots of practice an face the fear , i will prevail smiling smiley the first time i saw poi spinning i was 9 years old an in tahiti an thought it was the coolest thing ever , im so stoked to find out i can learn it in my home town smiling smiley

coco when the heck are ya moving back to bc i need a partner in crime tongue sticking out smiley

Date: May 13, 2010 07:36PM

Loving myself into terrific shape, sounds great!! smiling smiley

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: May 13, 2010 08:32PM

have you checked your daily calorie intake via a website such as fitday.

this would help you if you are taking in excess calories or if something else is going on causing the weight gain.

Date: May 14, 2010 01:59PM

Fitday, I'm on my way. I've checked it at a different site, but I've heard people reffering to fitday several times. Perhaps is is a superior site? Anyways, thanks and I'll give it a look. smiling smiley

Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: May 14, 2010 03:37PM

ive not used fitday myself so couldnt say martens, although ive heard its great for tracking calories and such.

do you know how many calories your roughly getting a day just now then?

Date: May 15, 2010 12:31AM

Here are some sites other than fitday, although I don't know which of them is best:

nutritiondata

nutridiary

Cron-o-Meter

My favorite raw vegan

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables