Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

The Year of Lettuce- Don't Miss Out
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: June 10, 2010 11:11PM

In the years that I've been growing lettuce, I don't think I've ever seen a crop as beautiful as the one I'm now harvesting.

At least in New England, but likely through much of the U.S., this is a banner year for leafy greens - big, beautiful, sweet leaves that don't even require dressing to eat.

A perfect storm of just the right amount of sun, just the right amount of rain, and grazing animals with alternative food supplies are the likely contributors. It's a nice treat after losing 3/4ths of my tomatoes to late blight last year and having many of my greens destroyed by deer, slugs and other pests.

I've been pulling the equivalent (I've been picking leaves and allowing the heads to regrow) of about three heads of lettuce a night out of my garden, and more just keeps coming.

With this delicious bounty in mind, I've been thinking about what a shame it is that so many raw foodists don't have big gardens to save money and enjoy organic, nutrient-rich greens.

Whether you can find a spot for a garden or raised bed, you have a patio of balcony to grow on, or if you're stuck growing inside, lettuce is really easy to grow.

If you're interested in giving it a shot, I've put together an article on lettuce growing that I hope helps you get started: [www.raw-food-health.net]

I find a lot of people don't really know much about the different types of lettuce there are beyond romaine and iceberg, so I've also put another together about the six cultivar categories the hundreds of available lettuce varieties fall into: [www.raw-food-health.net]

Finally, in this video I show you a small part of my lettuce garden and talk about how I grow in various ways: [www.raw-food-health.net]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: The Year of Lettuce- Don't Miss Out
Date: June 11, 2010 12:16AM

Hey, thanks! My dial up won't let me watch your video but I'm checking out your links.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: June 11, 2010 04:11PM

awesome Doc!

thankssmiling smiley

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: June 13, 2010 11:25PM

Doc.....Nice video on Lettuce growing. You make it look easy, but it'd be too much work for me.
I love my Romaine from Publix....sometimes eating 3 heads a day....WY

Posted by: eaglefly ()
Date: June 15, 2010 12:56PM

I have romaine growing now in my raised box out back.
Its been pretty rainy so far this season,so good for growing.

Vinny

Date: June 15, 2010 06:19PM

I suppose the question is, why not? I love it, it's low in calories, its full of the some of the richest, easiest to digest assortment of minerals and other essentials found in greens. If there's a downside, I've yet to find it smiling smiley.

Wheatgrass Yogi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Doc.....Nice video on Lettuce growing. You make it
> look easy, but it'd be too much work for me.
> I love my Romaine from Publix....sometimes eating
> 3 heads a day....WY

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables