Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

"Chemical" smelling pineapple
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 17, 2010 08:10PM

Cut into an Organic pineapple that I picked up from the store yesterday & was about knocked over with a chemical smell...

Anyone have any idea what it is? Has happened to you? I will be returning it to the store. Seems like this sort of thing happens more & more lately.

The last mangos & papayas I purchased didn't smell/taste right either...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: "Chemical" smelling pineapple
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 17, 2010 09:25PM

Was it organic? Was it totally ripe? Sometimes under ripe pineapple has a weird resinous smell.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: June 17, 2010 09:46PM

Supposed to be organic...and, it does have the yellow-gold color that ripe pineapples are supposed to have. This is the first pineapple that I can recall being like this.

The store already knows me as "the guy who returns the "pink inside" coconuts", so I really hate to return another piece of produce...they will start to wonder about me...being too picky...

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: June 17, 2010 10:24PM

maybe they meant that the pineapple CONTAINS ORGANICS,not that it is organic!

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: June 17, 2010 11:01PM

Well, maybe don't return it, but don't eat it if you're not sure about it. And then don't buy pineapple there again unless it's a different brand. Did you tell the stockboy, or whoever, when you returned the pink coconut, "A young coconut that's pink on the inside is rotting"? You know more than they do, you know : )

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: June 18, 2010 08:54AM

It being golden yellow on the outside actually has nothing to do with a pineapple being ripe, more often than not that golden yellow color on the outside is caused by it being gassed, pineapples can be completely green on the outside, yet completely ripe on the inside, or under ripe, and smell and feel ripe, but actually be under ripe inside because they where gassed to make them look more ripe...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables