Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Grey(ing) hair...
Posted by: banana who ()
Date: May 29, 2010 03:45AM

I am 44.5 and I started noticing grey hairs around 36 or 37. It freaked me out, I must admit. At the time, I was working in a health food store and really reading up about alternative therapies and the conditions they heal. I read that PABA (B complex vitamin) prevented grey hair. They said that a deficiency in this caused the grey. However, Matt Monarch (who is around 36) seems to be going grey and has been 100% raw for 12 years! If anyone gets total nutrition, it would be him. So genetics must play some role, right? What about Steve Martin? As long as I remember knowing about him (since the mid '70s), he was had white hair and 35 years later, he looks better than most men his age and his hair is the same. I doubt that he has a vitamin or mineral deficiency...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grey(ing) hair...
Posted by: Jgunn ()
Date: May 29, 2010 04:28AM

im quite certain genetics play a role, my mom went early gray and i so did i (at 28!)

smiling smiley

...Jodi, the banana eating buddhist

Date: May 29, 2010 04:33AM

Whew! I am glad to know that I am not an aberration! I heard that Ann Wigmore claimed that rejuvelac made her hair turn black again from grey. I wonder if that would work for all ferments?

Posted by: Janabanana ()
Date: May 29, 2010 06:34AM

Viktoras Kulvinskas said his hair color returned...a big sproutarian.

My instincts say that chlorophyll is one of the main hair color retainers.

It also has to do with stress and oxidation levels, and copper. It has been noted that two years of consistently taking Ormus copper can darken hair color.
[www.subtleenergies.com]

Pureganic's Liquid Manna and Pureganic Mineral Powder... his hair color has begun to return! Eyebrows are back to reddish brown, mustache is now visible and hair color has gone to a darker shade of gray.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: May 29, 2010 11:33AM

I have read that graying hair can be due to impaired liver function...I am 43.5 & do not have any gray hair. Been reading on other forums that a deficiency in your daily intake of greens can lead to this.

A quart of green smoothies daily sounds about right, yes? grinning smiley

Date: May 29, 2010 08:07PM

@JK: Hmmm...that's a new one--sounds a bit intriguing. Perhaps I need to do an experiment where I drink a green smoothie (a quart sounds like a lot, but I am game) every morning and see if it works! I don't have much grey yet, though...perhaps 10-15 percent at best. I just know a man who loves meat and is in his mid-50s with jet black hair! And his brother is at least 60 and the same! He smokes like a chimney to boot. So I was having a hard time seeing the connection between diet/lifestyle and grey hair.

Posted by: cyclopsicle ()
Date: May 29, 2010 08:15PM

That's what's so fascinating about life to me. Some people can smoke Marb Reds for 50 years and escape lung cancer, or at least not die or suffer from it. Some people get lung cancer who have never smoked a single cigarette. That's definitely not an argument for abusing your body, but basically there's no guarantees to anything. Prevention is very wise, and I think a lot of us on here are doing really great things for our bodies and our planet. One thing I have noted though is that happiness can transcend diet and that some poeple that eat "American" food are very happy, whereas I can be miserable and raw sometimes. Living a calm life will definitely improve your health I think, green smoothies or not. I try to keep that in mind.

Also, I'm 19 and I've had maybe 20 gray hairs in my life already, started finding them in 8th grade! I have all pink hair though so they're hidden smiling smiley

Date: May 29, 2010 09:02PM

What I found amazing (and strangely comforting) was reading that Jennifer Lopez went completely grey in her 20s and has been dyeing her hair for ages. When she got pregnant, she stopped with the dyes and the cat was out of the bagsmiling smiley But here's a related question: why do women think that it's bad to dye their hair when their pregnant yet all good when they aren't? I mean, if you are afraid of harming your kid(s), what about YOU? I have never dyed my hair and don't want to use that chemical stuff so I have researched plant pigments and body-quality henna and will do that someday.

Posted by: buddhistforlife ()
Date: May 29, 2010 11:28PM

I noticed some gray hairs coming in a few years ago (I am 48 now), but it was around the same time I had just quit smoking, and turned sharply in the other direction of health. I amped up my exercise, and became mostly raw. Included in this transition was a lot of greens: wheat grass, green smoothies, and some juices. In less than a year, I noticed an amazing thing: most of the gray hairs I found were actually turning back to their original color! I mean, I would pull out the hair, and half or a third way down the hair shaft into the root my original hair color was showing. Wow. I actually took some of these hairs to my brother, an traditional M.D. He looked, sort of shrugged, and said, "It looks as though you have some anti-aging process going on..".

How cool is that?

A side note: During this detox period, my skin became a marked golden/orange color-- maybe a side effect of the greens and chlorophyll?

Posted by: Horsea ()
Date: May 30, 2010 12:10AM

juicerkatz Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have read that graying hair can be due to
> impaired liver function...I am 43.5 & do not have
> any gray hair. Been reading on other forums that a
> deficiency in your daily intake of greens can lead
> to this.
>
> A quart of green smoothies daily sounds about
> right, yes? grinning smiley

It's the luck of the draw rather than lifestyle or rawfoodism, if you ask me! I've seen photos of health promoting authors (A. Moritz; Paul Pitchford, etc. etc.) who are totally or going grey. Moritz promotes liver flushing as a cureall yet when someone asked him why he was going grey, he did not answer. Pitchford wrote a huge tome on eastern & western healing but he appears to be totally grey. I suspect that when you turn grey is based on prenatal "jing" (old chinese medicine concept) rather than postnatal jing.

"Jing is stored in the kidneys and defines our basic constitution. It is intimately connected to the growth and maturation of each individual. Jing is differentiated into prenatal Jing, which we are born with, and postnatal Jing, which we acquire during life. Jing is consumed continuously in life."

[www.acufinder.com]

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: May 30, 2010 02:30AM

banana who Wrote:
> I am 44.5 and I started noticing grey hairs around
> 36 or 37.
Here's a picture of Arnold Ehret at age 48 or 49.
He believed mucous-forming foods were the cause of
greying hair, and hair loss.....WY

[en.wikipedia.org]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2010 02:45AM by Wheatgrass Yogi.

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: May 30, 2010 04:28PM

the ehret dude
sure had a helluva lot o hair
nice beard

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: May 30, 2010 05:45PM

la_veronique,

Today, he'd be a professor of comparative religion at a rural Vermont college--Ha!

Date: May 30, 2010 05:53PM

HAHHHH!

yeah... he sure LOOKS the part

he wasn't a bad philosopher either

i mean, pretty much he said : don't be a bonehead and fast when your body needs it.

simple but essential

i can't see how anyone can be a professor of comparative religion

i mean, i can see someone being a professor of ONE religion

but so many?

i guess its possible

its just that each religion seems to take aeons to explore

i new a dude who was a professor of buddhism

and he was daaaaang serious about his buddhism LOlsmiling smiley

it was a tough class... but an interesting one

so many sects

so little time

I think the kernel of all religions is this " be nice"

that i think pretty much sums it up

" be nice... be good... don't be bad... don't hurt others... "

cuz if you do..... WAAAAAAAAAATTTCHHHH OUTTTT!!!!!

heh hehsmiling smiley

Date: May 30, 2010 08:39PM

la_veronique Wrote:
"
>
> that i think pretty much sums it up
>
> " be nice... be good... don't be bad... don't hurt
> others... "
>
> cuz if you do..... WAAAAAAAAAATTTCHHHH
> OUTTTT!!!!!
>
> heh hehsmiling smiley

Trouble is - some religions require that adherents be nice & good only to others of their own kind. Everyone else be damned.

This is why Christianity - which requires bigtime niceness, goodness & forgiveness to all, not just other Christians - are at a huge disadvantage when living in a multireligious society, where members of other religions take advantage of them terribly. Turning the other cheek, doing good to those that hurt you 'n all that, Christians do not know how to look after their own interests. The more they're abused, the more the like it, believing it gives them brownie points in the next world. It's a good religion only if everyone in your country is also a serious Christian.

Date: May 30, 2010 09:29PM

@Buddhist for Life: That is way cool! I love hearing about the possibilities of turning it around, rather than gradual deterioration being our lot in life. I had my eyes checked a couple of years ago and the doctor said I had to have a weaker prescription, which has never happened before. I have always had stronger and stronger 'scripts. Even though I am not high raw, I had started eating lots of Swiss chard and using raw apple cider vinegar as part of a homemade dressing on a daily basis. I truly believe that upping my raw intake with deep greens and the raw vinegar were what did it. When I go high raw or all raw, I am sure it will really improve!

Supposedly our melanin production slows down and this is what creates lack of pigment in hair. Weird thing: when I was a baby, I had auburn hair but it turned dark brown as a young child and in the last ten years it has become a lighter shade of brown with lots of red highlights! So it's not just about going grey but about your hair changing color.

Date: May 30, 2010 10:44PM

banana who: you are on the right track-- actually, during this same period, my eye doctor told me that my eyes were actually going in the other direction; that my eyes were getting a bit stronger. Also, my dentist noticed that my gum erosion was halted. "Beautiful," is what he said. And both the eye doc and the dentist said to me, "keep on doing what you're doing..."

I am not talking miracles here- just a body's movement towards health and repair rather than destruction and disease. It DOES happen.

About the hair color thing-- I was born a blond, but when I reached puberty my hair took a strong turn towards deep red, and has since settled into a strawberry blond to this day. the creepy part about this was my grandmother believed that it was my grandfather, who died when I was 10, that was "coming back to life in my hair" (he was a red-head). Ummmm. Okay.

Date: May 30, 2010 10:54PM

@Buddhistforlife: Uh...I never heard of someone reincarnating as a pigment in the hair,LOL...What is so affirming for me is that I was told that I was double legally blind at one point. In other words, I was very near-sighted. When a person is near-sighted, they cannot see far away, but are able to keep their glasses on when reading (as opposed to far-sighted people who can only wear their glasses while reading). Now when I want to read something, I have taken to pulling my glasses down and it is easier to read. I suspect that if I up my raw foods and eliminate certain foods altogether, I will continue to improve. Bragg's used to have a book about eye exercises but it's out of print and they haven't put out a new version.

Date: May 31, 2010 05:59AM

hey banana who

i don't know about bragg having an eye exercise book

however Bates does and its called Bates Method for Eye Improvement

and clinics use that still

Horsea says:

<<This is why Christianity - which requires bigtime niceness, goodness & forgiveness to all, not just other Christians - are at a huge disadvantage when living in a multireligious society, where members of other religions take advantage of them terribly. Turning the other cheek, doing good to those that hurt you 'n all that, Christians do not know how to look after their own interests. The more they're abused, the more the like it, believing it gives them brownie points in the next world. It's a good religion only if everyone in your country is also a serious Christian.>>

I must say that regardless of religion, I must disagree with your premise. Acting like a doormat and being abused is neither being "nice" to

1) oneself

or truly benefitting

2) others

Never has there been a case that a victim has truly won nor has their been a case where the perpetrator is truly triumphant.

One must actually have a terrifically strong core in order to help others without expecting to be helped in return. This person is so strong in who she/ he is that they have simply made up their mind that they are self sufficient enough so that what others say or do does not hurt them unless they allow it. These people rarely exist. They are like unicorns. Have you ever seen a unicorn? I haven't.

Most Christians are not cut up to be true Christians. It is a good tenet but a nearly impossible one. It would simply be better to just be honest and say " Hey... if you steal, cheat, abuse, injure or lie to me.... you will be ONE SORRY PERSON!!" and just admit it.

If a person feels they are being "abused", then "turning the other cheek" is probably not for them.

If they feel that what the other person does has no bearing on them whatsoever because they still are lit up from within and that light is inextinguishable than THESE are the people that are capable of being do gooders. If not, then they ought to do themselves a favor and go back to the simple tenet of "self respect".

No one can take advantage of another person unless that other person

1. allows it
2. sees it in that fashion

Date: May 31, 2010 06:02AM

hey buddhist for life

<<About the hair color thing-- I was born a blond, but when I reached puberty my hair took a strong turn towards deep red, and has since settled into a strawberry blond to this day. the creepy part about this was my grandmother believed that it was my grandfather, who died when I was 10, that was "coming back to life in my hair" (he was a red-head). Ummmm. Okay.>

Ask your grandma what she thinks will happen if you get a haircut. Will he reincarnate into yet another form? or will this somehow truncate his present life form? smiling smiley

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 31, 2010 11:30AM

I have a few gray hairs in my beard, im 25 (26 on june 3rd) my dad had salt & pepper hair at my age,completely gray by 28-30 my grandpa on dads side was the same, grandpa on my moms side still has a full head of luxurious dark brown hair, he just turned 79, we have the same cow lick too...same color of hair as well, I think I got lucky and my hair mostly takes after my moms side of the family...lol... My uncle dan has a bad liver from drug use and alcohol, his hair is still dark brown, his brother randy has hair thats more of a reddish brown, they are both over 50... Genetics seems to play a pretty big role in it in my family... Oh and everyone listed except me, are on the SAD diet...:/... I am so glad I take after my moms side of the family...LOL....

Date: May 31, 2010 12:28PM

Hey, la v.-- That would be an interesting question, to be sure. However, my grandma is long gone... And I always remember her with a wig, due to very thinning hair. Always smelled of expensive perfume, dressed to the nines in her fashionable coordinated pant suits, driving a huge Lincoln. Horrible diet though-which caused, among other things her gall-bladder to blow out and her heart to sicken and die. Sweet, lady, though... at age 67 she taught me how to do the "Hustle", a dance move she picked up at the senior center. And she could pack a bump!

Thanks for a side trip down memory lane... smiling smiley

Date: May 31, 2010 06:15PM

La V, it is not my premise that acting like a doormat constitutes being nice to oneself. I was saying that this is the way serious, practicing Christians think & act. They don't WANT to be nice to themselves. They want to experience suffering, as Jesus Christ did, in the hope that they'll get to heaven all the faster. Really.

Date: May 31, 2010 07:28PM

Horsea,

As far as I recall from my upbringing, it is not Christ's suffering that Christians are to emulate, but His selflessness(which in Christ's case required suffering, as is sometimes the case with the common Christian). The Beatitudes, by which Christians are to live, prescribe selflessness; the suffering is optional. la_veronique may have a problem with that, anyhow. But she may be just pulling our legs : )

As for graying hair, banana who--when have most of your people gone gray? Early? Late? Is it consistent on one side of the family that everyone goes gray early(regardless of lifestyle)? You may take after them. I recently found a white hair, but it could just be the shampoo I'm using bleaching it. In any case, I would only be concerned about it if other things were irregular, like, I suspected heavy metal poisoning, etc.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: May 31, 2010 11:05PM

Horsea: Im a christian, and I don't believe I get brownie points by allowing other people to abuse me, Ive never allowed people to abuse me, I just don't strike back at them when they do, I just let them know that if they want to remain part of my life their behavior has to change, and if it doesn't, then goodbye... they can get back to me when they decide they want to change... being nice to others, loving them, being compassionate and caring, has nothing to do with being a doormat, you can love without letting others take advantage of you... Being open and loving to others will always create the opportunity for somebody to use or hurt you, but being a good christian isnt about ALLOWING them to do that, its about not hating them for it, about loving them in-spite of it, but that doesn't mean you have to allow them to continue doing it... Following Christ's example, and having some self respect, are not mutually exclusive concepts...

Im not even entirely sure how to respond to your other comment... No serious practicing christian WANTS to suffer, I cant see how one could even get that idea in their head unless they never really read their bibles, God wants us to be happy, he warns that our beliefs can bring us suffering, but he wants us to basically keep our chins up, and our hearts close to his. Any "christian" that feels they can get to heaven faster by suffering, hasnt really read their bible... I wouldnt go so far as to say they arent "real" christians as only being human, it is not my place to put any judgement on them, and really, I have no way of knowing for sure whether my beliefs are even close to correct till I die, But christians who feel the way you seem convinced they ALL feel, are not getting their beliefs from the bible.

Interestingly enough, I dont get my beliefs from the bible either, its just many of the beliefs put forth in the bible, seem to mirror my personal morals, and I do believe in God, so its a good match for me... so I guess im technically an Agnostic theist...I also practice Zazen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: May 31, 2010 11:08PM

To try to act like Christ is to suffer. The trouble with Christianity is that Christians forget that Christ suffered in our place. All of which means we should look after our own interests best we can without hurting anyone else. Easy to say, hard to do in this world! Thanks for your input, Tamukha.

I started to go grey about age 47. It took some years to be noticeable, though. At that point I had been vegetarian (some raw food) 20 years.

Date: June 01, 2010 07:50AM

yeah... i don't understand the "suffering" thing either ( i mean... suffering for its OWN sake... kinda weird)

but like curator said.. self respect and selflessness are not mutually exclusive

i agree

i don't even see how another can successfully act selflessly without self respect
i think this is impossible and it would be grotesque to even imagine how THAT would look like

i think its normal and natural for people to suffer while they are going towards their own PERSONAL goals such as... winning a gold olympic medal in figure skating etc.

but suffering for its OWN sake?

i don't understand it

someone cue me in

then again

don't

Horsea

i am not an expert on religions
but i DO know that when people are looking at other people as EXAMPLES
of how a religion is to be followed
they are barking up the wrong tree

make yourself an example
of whatever religious or spiritual tenet you are attracted to
and stop trying to figure all this abstruse stuff out concerning why people are behaving this or that way

the heck should i know

i won't even try to figure it out

got much better things to do with my time

oh yeah

what has this gotta do with hair?

probably nothing

my hair is shiny
and it used to go to my waist

then i cut it

but not a whole lot
it has all its color

i anticipate it will retain its color forever

if not

i think i'll still love myself LOLsmiling smiley

Posted by: angelpie ()
Date: June 01, 2010 02:08PM

Hi guys! I started getting grey hair in 6th grade, kids would pull my greys out quite frequently in school and later, the traders at the Chicago Board Options Exchange where I worked when I was in my 20's. I have read that it has been discoved that the reason a person's hair turns grey is, because over time, the enzyme CATALASE becomes deficient. This is an enzyme that neutralizes hydrogen peroxide in the body. The hydrogen peroxide in your body then bleaches the hair from the inside out. I have searched online and at the health food store for a catalase supplement. I have had quite a bit of trouble. If any of you find one, please post! I know that catalase is quite cheap and readily available, but I don't know if anyone reputable in the supplement business has come up with a formula specificly for the purpose of neutralizing the hydrogen peroxide for getting rid of grey hair. I don't know that any foods you eat, besides perhaps ingesting wheatgrass, contains enough catalase to be of much use. Wheatgrass makes me shudder when I drink it and it makes me nauseated, I just can't stand it. Here is a link to an article about the discovery that was made in 2009

[dsc.discovery.com]

Love, Melissa Halstedsmiling smiley

Date: June 01, 2010 02:21PM

angelpie,

Organ meats, potatoes, wheat sprouts. Of those three, I'm afraid only the last--dreaded wheatgrass--suits the raw veg : (

If you can juice raw potatoes,and cut it with apple juice, it might be worth a try.

Date: June 01, 2010 08:36PM

Hey, la Veronique, I was just trying to have a little discussion. You do not have to be snotty and unkind to me.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables