Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Staying Safe in The Sun
Posted by: pborst ()
Date: July 08, 2010 04:57PM

Some input from Dr. Fuhrman on this point.

[www.diseaseproof.com]

Paul

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Staying Safe in The Sun
Date: July 08, 2010 09:07PM

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/08/2010 09:08PM by pborst.

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 08, 2010 11:58PM

Thanks for the info Paul, I'll order some greenscreen for the kids and I. I did check out the EWG's list of approved products but they don't indicate which use nanoparticles so I'll stick with the one that I know doesn't.

Date: July 09, 2010 12:52AM

Coco,

thanks. I'm sort of angry with Dr. Fuhrman for waiting to present the problem until he has a product on the market (I told him so on his diseaseproof site which the deleted second post in this thread). I have an 8 year old son whom I love dearly. And if the good Dr. had concerns about the other products, I just wish he would have spoken up before July. But all the same, glad you found benefit!

Paul

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 09, 2010 01:50PM

I think Badger and Mexitan make toxin free sunblocks or sunscreens, Paul.

Date: July 09, 2010 03:38PM

Do you know Tam if they use that nanoparticle technology or not?

Posted by: rab ()
Date: July 09, 2010 07:32PM

I wrote something at this topic, was that removed? I just said that I love the Sun, and I will never use any sunscreens, I can't believe that it was removed because I said that? Or maybe I did not click on "Post Message"..

Anyway, I have been burnt by the Sun many times as a boy and a teenager and I don't mind being burnt again. I am much less scared from the Sun than any lotions they have on the market.

Date: July 09, 2010 08:46PM

rab Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wrote something at this topic, was that removed?
> I just said that I love the Sun, and I will never
> use any sunscreens, I can't believe that it was
> removed because I said that? Or maybe I did not
> click on "Post Message"..
>
> Anyway, I have been burnt by the Sun many times as
> a boy and a teenager and I don't mind being burnt
> again. I am much less scared from the Sun than any
> lotions they have on the market.

You gotta be kidding me? I'm not happy with Doctor Fuhrman's come late to the party to sell my product approach to marketing. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't protect yourself from the suns rays. Just do me a favor and google melanoma and "skin cancer" and reread what you just wrote. If you still want to go ahead, then fine. You would at the point have a better understanding of the cancer risk than you appear to have now. Pick any EWG choice but don't go unprotected, that's asking for it. And I bet deep down, you already know that.

Paul

Date: July 09, 2010 09:02PM

Tamukha Wrote:
> I think Badger and Mexitan make toxin free
> sunblocks or sunscreens, Paul.

Tamukha,

Thanks. I'm inclined to take you up on your offer if there is a genuine risk to the Neutrogena products. I can't buy Fuhrman products under his scare and sell business model. Thanks.

Paul

Date: July 09, 2010 09:07PM

pborst, "deep down" I love the Sun. No sunscreen for me. In my old country they even have a saying, which rhymes: "Ko se Sunca krije, bolje da ga nije", which means "If you hide from the Sun, you shouldn't exist".

I will take my chances. I think that sunscreens cause more cancer than the Sun. Just like chemo causes more death than cancer.

Again, this is my choice. I am not advising anyone else to do the same.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: July 09, 2010 10:11PM

Tamukha Wrote:
> I think Badger and Mexitan make toxin free
> sunblocks or sunscreens, Paul.

Badger? BADGER?! we dont NEEEED no steenkin BADGERS!
(ok yeah, lame movie quote...but I love it,LOL)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: CJJ ()
Date: July 09, 2010 10:13PM

Trying to find that old thread: At one point someone was posting up lots of info about how low-fat diets equate to skin being less susceptible to sunburn (less damage).

I use coconut oil extrenally: it alledgedly has a natural spf of about 4. Hats & glasses if I'm out in peak hours winking smiley

Date: July 10, 2010 12:22AM

Curator Wrote:
> Tamukha Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I think Badger and Mexitan make toxin free
> > sunblocks or sunscreens, Paul.
>
>
> Badger? BADGER?! we dont NEEEED no steenkin
> BADGERS!
> (ok yeah, lame movie quote...but I love it,LOL)

OMG are you Kidding me?! I JUST watched that movie this afternoon! Freaky!

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: July 10, 2010 01:00AM

hahahahaha, people say that to me often,lol... its kinda fun!lol

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: July 10, 2010 01:33AM

So, if you block the sun, how do you get vitamin D? And why be in the Sun if you need to block it? Stay inside, or in the shade, would be more logical, wouldn't it? By the way, how do you block the radiation from your TV, cell phone, computer, other people cell phones? You do not? But you are exposed 24/7, with a lot of damage to your tissue...

I guess people chose what they want to protect themselves from. I am always much, much more worried about the human products then the nature.

Date: July 10, 2010 12:45PM

The thinning of the ozone layer IS a human product. So is our decrease in health down through the generations.

It takes a max of 15 mins in the sun to get adequate vit D, it can be partially shaded and early morning or late afternoon when the sun is not directly overhead. Or you can set white button mushrooms in a sunny window for 15 mins then eat a few of them.

People can't stay inside all the time, we have lives, we have kids, we need to find some way to protect skin from the effects of the sun. We live longer lives than ever before too, people may well have died far sooner than skin cancer would have developed.

It's not about blocking, it's about minimizing, same thing w radiation from tv, cell ph, computer. Minimize. Stay healthy in other ways to increase your overall health. And don't worry about anything, take precautions without the negative impact of fear.

Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 10, 2010 02:24PM

Personally, I think it's beneficial to go out in the sun for short enough periods to get a bit of color and plenty of Vit D in the a.m. or late p.m. However, lying about unprotected while the sun is at its zenith is just asking for trouble. The recent escalating rates of melanoma are likely due to carcinogens in common toxic sunscreens and to people's being so fearful of sunlight that they synthesize too little Vit D to prevent free radicle damage to the dermis. HOWEVER, the rate of skin cancer was slowly escalating before the advent of widespread toxin containing sunscreens, because, as coco mentions, the atmosphere just isn't as protective as it was in centuries past.

Paul is inquiring for his young son, who is at a vulnerable age where he cannot make decisions about what damage exposure to full sun may cause to his adult body in the long run, so his father should be able to do whatever he can to protect his son's skin. Finding an effective nontoxic sunscreen or sunblock is just parental diligence, and we can all applaud that.

Date: July 10, 2010 03:15PM

Lying in the Sun at noon is not a normal behavior. Even working at noon is also not normal. During the summer, people should use early morning hours and late afternoon hours to do the necessary work. Same is for swimming, playing or anything else. My grandparents were farmers, they would get up at 3am in the spring and summer, just to be able to do everything on time.

Posted by: Mislu ()
Date: July 10, 2010 03:25PM

Coco,
I am not so sure about people living longer than ever before. I have heard that the average life expectancy is actually on the decline in most places. Mostly from poor lifestyle choices. I also think there are a number of negative factors present in the world now which are negative, to which we face without a choice.

I do think there are things we can do to improve our health. So its not without hope. I read about a person who became well known at 50 for certain accomplishments. He made regular public apparences for the next 70 years, appearing not to age! For the next 30 years he was rarely seen. So, if there is any truth, he lived at least 150 years. He only drank an herbal tea in public, and was never seen eating. The story is in relationship to philosophy, but it does raise some curiosity as to what he ate, or other things he did.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: July 10, 2010 04:26PM

There is stuff in the news at the moment in the UK since Gyneth Paltrow has found out that she has dangerously low vit D.

This seems like a sensible article [goop.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables