Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Blue/green algae - not a good idea
Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: July 09, 2010 07:48AM

[www.tldp.com]

I found this a very interesting and convincing read. It also illustrates what many know already that many 'products' being sold in the raw world (and other places) make a fortune for the manufacturer and distributor but don't do much for the recipient - or if this article is to be believed may do real harm.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blue/green algae - not a good idea
Posted by: powerlifer ()
Date: July 09, 2010 12:30PM

Ive not read the article but if its hte Klamath Lake algae then its toxic and bad for you.

But others such as chlorella and spirulina are finesmiling smiley.

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 09, 2010 12:38PM

flipperjan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I found this a very interesting and convincing
> read.
The multilevel-marketing schemes do make a product lose credibility with me, but I wouldn't give up Algae based solely on that.
I've been taking Sun Clorella and Klamath Blue-Green Algae. The claim is made that they are whole-foods. I feel better about the Chlorella.....WY

Posted by: Lee_123 ()
Date: July 09, 2010 12:50PM

See

[www.google.com]

and

[skepticzone.wordpress.com]

I wrote to Brian Clement about this but he never responded.

Date: July 09, 2010 12:53PM

powerlifer Wrote:
> Ive not read the article but if its hte Klamath
> Lake algae then its toxic and bad for you.
Yes, I remember reading, years ago, something about Klamath Lake being polluted, but this was a rare find, and only found at the lake's edge. Klamath Blue-Green Algae is harvested from the middle of the lake. I think it was another algae (or Spirulina) companies desire to discredit Klamath B-G Algae......WY

Date: July 09, 2010 01:33PM

I wrote a thread on here a while back about some of the toxic compounds present in klamath lake algaes such as microcystins, but i cant find it and stretched for time just now.

Date: July 09, 2010 02:06PM

Lee_123 Wrote:
> I wrote to Brian Clement about this but he never
> responded.
I know he recommends Chlorella, and am pretty sure I've heard him mention Blue-Green Algae in a favorable way. He has an extensive video library on YouTube.
One thing is certain....People are getting well at his clinic.....WY

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 09, 2010 03:43PM

People do well on the Atkins diet too though, my uncle swears by it. He loses weight, that's for sure, but ugh what he eats is nauseating.

I wouldn't scoop up a handful of algae from a lake and thing "Mmm, what a yummy treat this is!" so I don't think I want to be eating it from a bottle either. I'll stick with garden greens, those I know are food and good for me.

Date: July 09, 2010 04:23PM

To be fair though pending that you dont have any condition of the thyroid, losing weight is rather easy its just a simple case of calorie in/calorie out/expenditure.

where as getting well can be pretty difficult for some. Some of the best gains in my health i made were via chlorella, im not sure if i have some sort of heavy metal toxicity from my smoking days but it has helped the most out of everything ive tried.

Date: July 09, 2010 04:47PM

coco Wrote:
> People do well on the Atkins diet too though
Isn't that a high-protein diet centered around cooked meat?
>
> ....... I'll stick with garden greens, those I
> know are food and good for me.
I'll stick with them too. I've been having 5-ounces of mixed greens in my afternoon Green Smoothies. The Chlorella and Algae are meant to be supplements, although I do believe they would support life by themselves.....WY

Date: July 09, 2010 04:54PM

powerlifer Wrote:
> .......Some of the best gains in my health i made
> were via chlorella, im not sure if i have some
> sort of heavy metal toxicity from my smoking days
> but it has helped the most out of everything ive
> tried.
That is Good News. I plan to continue taking Sun Chlorella, but give up
Klamath Blue-Green Algae when the bottle runs out.....WY

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 09, 2010 09:11PM

The only way to find out if your algae is contaminated or safe is to be pro active yourself and take it to a lab and get a read out on what's actually in it. Yeah, there is a lot of controversy concerning Klamath and blue green algae however anything can be credited or discredited nowadays. Do your OWN homework.

As far as saying that only soil grown veggies are safe, it may behoove one to note that the veggie is as good as the soil. The soil is as good as what goes in it including the water. Does everyone filter out the water that goes into their soil? I doubt it. Then again, soil DOES have some filtering capabilites as do the plants in the ocean.

I think that before one can make generalities as to whether a product is wholly healthful or harmful, one ought to get it tested personally instead of relying on someone's article, website, second hand claims etc.

Even then, toxicity levels ( or lack thereof) can rise and wane. Nothing is
going to remain the same...esp. when it comes to the ocean which is in a ginormous state of flux right now as we speak.

This article only confirms my belief that I need to be pro active in regards to finding out what particulates are present in a product by shelling out a few bucks to a lab.

This is a good STARTING point. Until one does that, all else is pontification.

Posted by: Curator ()
Date: July 09, 2010 10:01PM

I have no idea how much it would cost to test plant matter LV, but I know when making what we called "garbage glazes" in pottery shop, where we would mix together a bunch of old glaze samples, then glaze something and see what happens... when one of the garbage glazes ended up looking really cool, we would send it to a lab to get tested to tell the exact amounts of what was in it so we could reproduce it... it was at least $180, one lab we found near the end was $150 I believe...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Posted by: BackAgain ()
Date: July 11, 2010 04:10PM

It all depends on who you ask IMO. I'm the type that rather read posts and experiences from real people rather than someone else's research project.

I'm sure we can all find studies online about how vegan and raw food is bad for you. They even came out with a new eating disorder to label us with.

Posted by: omega-3 ()
Date: July 11, 2010 04:34PM

What's the new eating disorder??

Date: July 11, 2010 05:16PM

[foodfreedom.wordpress.com]

"“Orthorexics commonly have rigid rules around eating. Refusing to touch sugar, salt, caffeine, alcohol, wheat, gluten, yeast, soya, corn and dairy foods is just the start of their diet restrictions. Any foods that have come into contact with pesticides, herbicides or contain artificial additives are also out.”"

Posted by: la_veronique ()
Date: July 12, 2010 02:07AM

i'm comin up with a new term

junk-a-rexics

the opposite of orthorexics

whaddya think?

Date: July 12, 2010 04:57AM

LOL. It works. Better than the SADer term.

crap-a-rexics
stupid-a-rexics

The silly new word "Orthorexics" is kind of ironic. Are they insulting us or not? If "Ortho" was a greek word for "correct" then they're basically just agreeing that we're right and they're wrong.

I guess the technical opposite disorder would be called dys-o-rexic since "dys" is the opposite of "ortho". But eh.. junk-o-rexics works.

Date: July 12, 2010 03:57PM

I think you may be missing the point entirely, I think they are talking about those who OBSESS over eating healthy, more than just those who try to make sure they are eating healthy, and believes me, there is an obvious line between the two, if you slip and eat something bad for you, do you freak out and go on some massive cleansing binge to push this horrible stuff out of your body? if so, might be in, or heading towards the obsessive territory, however, if you just want to eat healthy, and you pay attention to what you eat without obsessing over it, then your not orthorexic. (orthorexic could also apply to Paleo people who believe eating almost nothing but meat is super healthy for them, if one of them obsesses over this, to the point in which he freaks out when he slips and eats a yummy carrot, then he would fall under the category of orthorexic as well...) Of course there is WHOLE lot more that goes into diagnosing an obsessive behavior, im just giving as short a description as possible...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 12, 2010 04:56PM

The terminology was originally coined for those who are obsessive over diet. I see shades of that in the raw food community, let's not pretend it doesn't exist. It's not about people who are eating a healthy balanced diet as part of a healthy balanced lifestyle, applying it in those circumstances is taking it out of context.

Date: July 12, 2010 05:13PM

exactly! thankyou for putting it such a more concise way than I was able to,lol... Ive only slept 4 hours,and its at these times it becomes much more difficult to order my thoughts, let alone keep them concisesmiling smileylol.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: banana who ()
Date: July 12, 2010 05:31PM

How about SADistic? Because it is sadastic to do that to your bodies. But in all seriousness, it is possible to have an eating disorder while trying to be healthy. It's the foodie version of an OCD person who is trying to make everything "clean" enough. The sentiment of eating well is fine; but the obsession with food is a type of eating disorder. If your life revolves around your diet (it consumes an inordinant amount of your energy and time), then it should definitely be looked at. Because the 'healthy' part obscures the problem.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables