Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

Anyone freeze lettuce & other greens?
Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: July 16, 2010 07:53PM

We are having a bumper crop of many greens this summer and I am thinking of maybe freezing some of them. Has anyone done this without blanching/steaming?

I freeze many fruits & berries, but some of the websites warn against it because of the bacteria present on the greens.

Is it any different than the fruits & berries? Just as simple as wash/dry/freeze?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anyone freeze lettuce & other greens?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 16, 2010 08:13PM

Frozen leaves get that oogy texture so no, I don't freeze them. I just got a recipe from the Perfect Pickler site about making fermented lettuce though, I have yet to try it but it sounded delish!

I was thinking about juicing produce and freezing that for future use (add to smoothies etc in wintertime). Sure you could do that for leafy greens with a juicer that can handle them.

Posted by: juicerkatz ()
Date: July 16, 2010 08:51PM

I was actually thinking of freezing the greens & then using them in smoothies over the winter, just like I do with frozen bananas/other fruits. I wouldn't thaw the greens at all, just add them to the smoothie frozen.

I don't really have a taste for fermented foods right now...

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 16, 2010 09:12PM

Well, in that case why not? People do it with pesto and fresh green herbs to use in recipes.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables