Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

calories in sprouted pseudograins?
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: July 12, 2010 06:40PM

hi all i'm new to these boards. i've been searching high and low to try and find the caloric value of such seed-like grains as amaranth, quinoa and millet. i'm interested in making these an integral part of my diet but am having trouble finding amounts of energy they provide. can anyone steer me in the right direction?

thanks in advance

-matt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: calories in sprouted pseudograins?
Posted by: Curator ()
Date: July 13, 2010 05:20AM

Google is a great source for that sort of thing, I just searched for "Nutritional content of quinoa" and this is what I found.
[nutritiondata.self.com]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?
Can the child within my heart rise above?
Can I sail through the changing ocean tides?
Can I handle the seasons of my life?

Date: July 13, 2010 09:26PM

i've been to this site. there is no information on sprouted pseudograins, only uncooked.

Date: July 14, 2010 07:48AM

well yeah, but its not going to be much different, if you use 1 cup of uncooked quinoa, whatever you have after sprouting will most likely have about the same caloric content, possibly a little less.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: July 15, 2010 06:18PM

really? i mean i'm no expert but i had assumed otherwise because the caloric value of beans decrease significantly when sprouted.

Date: July 15, 2010 07:07PM

I think it would depend greatly on how much you let the sprouts grow, bean sprouts are usually allowed to get pretty long... me, I like to eat my quinoa shortly after it sprouts, so it hasnt had much time to use up to much of its stored energy...so there shouldn't really be a massive difference, but I don't know this for sure, I could be wrong.

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: July 15, 2010 07:11PM

I think you are right, pezhead. Added nutrition is one of the benefits touted of sprouted foods. If you look at the data Nutrition Data has both raw and sprouted versions of the same food, you'll see very different information. Example:

Sprouted Kidney Beans
1 cup has 53 calories and 71.9 mg of vitamin C.

Raw Kidney Beans
1 cup has 613 calories and 8.3 mg of vitamin C.

This is a huge difference.

Have you tried Sprout Kitchen?

I didn't see any info. for millet or quinoa, but they did have amaranth: [www.sproutkitchen.com]

Date: July 15, 2010 07:24PM

huh, I just clicked on your link and it said sprouted information not available, also, dont eat sprouted kidney beans...they are highly toxic... kidney beans are not edible raw, sprouted or not...

that would be awesome if just sprouted grains are lower calorie too, but like I said, beans are usually allowed to keep growing for much much longer than grains, so they use up more energy, then they would be less calories... with grains which most people eat right after they start to sprout, there should be a higher amount of calories left, as less of their energy has been used... if you let them grow longer though they will decrease in calories moresmiling smiley

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Posted by: veghunter ()
Date: July 16, 2010 03:26PM

Oh, thanks. I see that now, Curator. Some of the other grains had the disclaimer in red, so I missed in on the amaranth.

I know the raw kidney beans are poisonous. I'm not suggesting that anyone eat them, but there is data there on them. I think the reduction of calories has as much to do with the change in volume as the calories being used for growing. Using energy for growing doesn't really explain the increased vitamin C, which was more what I was pointing out. At any rate, I think that finding the actual values of more sprouted foods would be worth knowing. Perhaps if a number of people wrote to the USDA, they might be urged to include some more data on sprouts.

Date: July 16, 2010 08:18PM

It's so stupid to include the amount of vit C for raw kidney beans, sprouted or not. You've got to cook either one to make them edible and that heat kills vit C so why even bother. Sigh, what a waste of research. I'd rather see the amounts in things I CAN eat raw!

Date: July 17, 2010 12:34AM

yeah, would be allot more useful, thats for sure! lol

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Date: July 19, 2010 05:11PM

sprout kitchen states that the information is for raw amaranth and that the sprouted information is not currently available. i just got the number and email for the executive chef at the hippocrates health institute. i'm going to see what he has to say.

Date: July 20, 2010 03:02AM

sweet! let us know!

Oh, mirror in the sky
What is love?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables