Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

cashews debate
Posted by: willows101 ()
Date: January 03, 2009 03:27PM

Are " raw cashews " i buy actually raw? Havent they been steamed

any info would be great.

Can raw foodists eat raw cashews you buy in health stores.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cashews debate
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: January 03, 2009 04:10PM

I am told my cashews are raw, but then I was always taught that raw cashews are toxic unless "sundried," whatever that means, and also very difficult to peel without steaming or blanching the pods. In India and Brazil(where they originate)the nuts are always dried[because of toxicity?] and then processed otherwise. I'd ask wherever you shop for them if they can tell you where the nuts are from and whether they were sundried. Hope this helps:

[www.sunfood.com]

Posted by: davidzanemason ()
Date: January 03, 2009 05:15PM

Test your product. If they will sprout into a small plant, then your source is vital. Don't you think?

-David Z. Mason

WWW.RawFoodFarm.com

Posted by: FruityJules ()
Date: January 03, 2009 05:44PM

I really think that if you saw cashews growing in Nature, and tried to get at one, you would see that they are toxic and almost impossible to open (encased in a very hard shell and surrounded by gooey black icky stuff.)

You could google it so you could see some pictures to understand what I mean.

: )

Love,
Julie

Posted by: Sundancer ()
Date: January 03, 2009 07:19PM

I don't eat cashews for this reason.

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: January 03, 2009 08:04PM

When I was in northern Australia a few years ago, I went to a market where one vendor was selling whole cashew "apples" (the whole cashew fruit that contains the cashew "nut"winking smiley. They warned me very clearly to eat ONLY the fruit and not to try to eat the cashew "nut" within or it would burn my fingers.

The standard commercial "raw cashews" sold in stores are not truly raw -- the "raw" just means they're not roasted.

There are sources for truly raw cashews in the raw community. Cathy Silvers (of "Happy Days" fame) just started selling them, in addition to other raw sources.

Cathy Silvers' truly raw cashews:

[thehealthylivingstore.net]

Some info on cashew nut processing:

[practicalaction.org]

"If the nuts are being manually shelled, gloves need to be used or alternatively, the nuts should be tumbled in sawdust or ashes to absorb the liquid coating which has a harmful affect on the skin."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/2009 08:18PM by Omega.

Posted by: EZ rider ()
Date: January 03, 2009 08:32PM

I've never seen a cashew nut in the shell but if its anything like a Brazil nut in the shell it must be really hard to get the nut out of the shell. I'm always amazed at how perfect the nuts look after their de-shelling process. When I try to get a nut out of the shell they look terrible. How do they get the shells off leaving such perfect looking nuts ?

Posted by: Omega ()
Date: January 03, 2009 08:49PM

Omega Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> When I was in northern Australia a few years ago,
> I went to a market where one vendor was selling
> whole cashew "apples" (the whole cashew fruit that
> contains the cashew "nut"winking smiley. They warned me very
> clearly to eat ONLY the fruit and not to try to
> eat the cashew "nut" within or it would burn my
> fingers.

I just looked at a picture of a whole cashew fruit, and I need to modify the above as I forgot what the thing looks like. The cashew "nut" is not within but actually on the outside of the fruit, attached at the bottom. That's the part that they told me not to try to eat.

Posted by: mira ()
Date: January 04, 2009 05:41AM

here are some links to pictures of women handshelling cashew nuts...I think it's in Indonesia.

So maybe small retailers have truly raw nuts, cause they still sheel them by hand?

[images.google.ca]

[images.google.ca]

Posted by: sgc ()
Date: January 04, 2009 08:51AM

Like almonds, to remove the skin of cashew, they steam them. And like that they look perfect. But there are some hand shelled cashews. They don't look as nice, more like pieces with knife cuts. But they are much tastier. Look at the montecristo cashews from equalexchange.co.uk

Raw Fruit Festival
[www.raw-fruit-festival.net]
Health, Fitness and Fasting Retreats in Spain
[www.fit-in-nature.net]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables