Living and Raw Foods web site.  Educating the world about the power of living and raw plant based diet.  This site has the most resources online including articles, recipes, chat, information, personals and more!

Click this banner to check it out!
Click here to find out more!

ulcerative colitis and fructose?
Posted by: Want2know ()
Date: July 17, 2010 11:29PM

i have a very bad digestive stystem which is one of the reasons why i search for a healthy lifestyle. i've not been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis but by comparing the symptoms i find it's quite possible. i get heavily bloated when i've eaten a lot of fruit sugar even. i don't eat refined sugar or so.. which used to make me feel worse. but even fruit sugar seems not to be easy. is there a difference in terms of sugar intolerance between the two?
it seems so frustrating, because obviously the body needs the sugars, but my tummy doesn't feel good at all. will it get used to it?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: ulcerative colitis and fructose?
Posted by: Tamukha ()
Date: July 18, 2010 05:05PM

Sorry this is happening to you. Does all fruit affect you the same way; is a ripe watermelon as bloat-inducing as bananas, for example? Are you eating fruit singly--a few well-chewed kiwi, later a bowl of well chewed berries, later a few well-chewed apples--or are you combining different things in a single meal? How do you feel on vegetables?

Posted by: Wheatgrass Yogi ()
Date: July 18, 2010 05:37PM

Want2Know.....Whatever your Colon problem, it needs rest, not
a lot of fiber. I'd recommend a liquid diet of Green Juices.
The best book on Ulcerative Colitis is Jack Goldstein's
"Triumph over Disease by Fasting....". It's unbelievable what
this man went through by putting his trust in the medical
profession.....WY

[www.amazon.com]

Posted by: loeve ()
Date: July 18, 2010 07:04PM

"Interestingly, a high level of fructose (commonly found in fruits) was negatively associated with IBD. "

[www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov]

That's for inflammatory bowel disease, which includes crohn's and UC. The study also says fiber is good for those with crohn's and wheatgrass juice has some efficacy with UC.

Eating "a lot" of anything can cause indigestion. Sucrose is not so good. Too much fructose can linger in the lower intestine waiting to be absorbed.

I've been there with the very poor digestion. Relaxation helps. I used to be in "fight or flight" mode much of the time.

Another thing to watch is chemical balance which is where nutrition calculators like at nutritiondata.com come in handy. The mineral balance in raw foods is different than the standard western diet, and it takes the body time to adjust if making an abrupt change in diet. Many supplement.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2010 07:13PM by loeve.

Posted by: Healthybun ()
Date: July 18, 2010 10:12PM

Read David Kleins book: Self Healing Colitis and Chrons. It's all there, need no more information in the beginning of healing Colitis or Chrons.

Helped me! smiling smiley

Date: July 19, 2010 11:26AM

loeve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
"sucrose is not so good"

I meant processed sugar is not so good, the kind that is derived from sugar cane. Sucrose (a molecule of half glucose and half fructose) is found in raw foods and is fine, obviously.

I noticed dates mentioned on another thread --

Sugars 16.0g
Sucrose 127mg
Glucose 8084mg
Fructose 7669mg
Maltose 72.0mg
[nutritiondata.self.com]

Dates are basically half glucose and half fructose which is good, imo.

By the way, I've never picked dates but have read they form on the tree just like they look in the store. In other words, there is no need to dry them. They are not "dried fruit".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2010 11:37AM by loeve.

Posted by: flipperjan ()
Date: July 19, 2010 12:23PM

loeve - some dates are dried and in varying amounts. We only occasionally get the fresh ones here in the UK - they are gorgeous and succulent and quite the best way to eat them and horrifyingly expensive. They have a very short shelf life before they begin to go mouldy. So all the other dates that we get are dried to some extent - the medjools are the best but will keep for a long time right down to the really hard small dried type which I don't like at all.

Not sure if I got what you meant but thought I'd make a comment anyway smiling smiley

Date: July 19, 2010 12:31PM

Thanks, flipperjan, you're right and I was just about to correct myself after reading an article --

"Dates ripen in four stages, which are known throughout the world by their Arabic names kimri (unripe), khalal (full-size, crunchy), rutab (ripe, soft), tamr (ripe, sun-dried). A 100 gram portion of fresh dates is a source of vitamin C[citation needed] and supplies 230 kcal (960 kJ) of energy. Since dates contain relatively little water, they do not become much more concentrated upon drying, although the vitamin C is lost in the process." [en.wikipedia.org]

Even though they don't have to be dried much the usual store-bought dates are dried fruit, unless they are the fresh dates like you are able to get sometimes in your market. I'll have to watch for the fresh ones, I've never had one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/19/2010 12:34PM by loeve.

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: July 20, 2010 08:06AM

Yeah, read David Kliens book and 80/10/10 before you digestive issues get cancerous. sad smiley

Posted by: andabanana ()
Date: July 20, 2010 05:26PM

Wanttoknow,

I didnt read all the replies, excuse me if I repeat anything.

What comes to me right away is the possibility of candida in your system (very common bacterial imbalance) ... feeds on sugars. The best way to rid it seems 2 b:
water fasting. If it is U.C. check out Paul Nisons' works, he has experience with that disorder.

SHINE ON

Posted by: Want2know ()
Date: July 20, 2010 07:52PM

andabanana,

yes i've been thinking about that also.
I guess a proper fast and then a very regular LFRV diet would help.
perhaps some kind of medication also to rebuild bacteria and perhaps kill off something bad.
but I can't fast because I'm under a healthy weight. that wouldn't be a good idea to be loosing weight, you know.

I've orderd myself both books advised by Klien and Graham. And I must get a blender to make some fine green smoothies.

Yes, I think so too, that I'm putting in too much fiber for the moment.

Thank you very much for your helpful replies everyone!!

Posted by: durianrider ()
Date: July 21, 2010 10:37AM

I was speaking with Paul recently in Australia, he admits that a fruit diet is best for healing chrons.

80/10/10 by Dr Doug Graham is the only raw food book that actually works longterm with candida. Its no secret that fat is the main cause of blood sugar metabolic disorders. But you just dont make that much money pushing fruit vs pills,potions etc! smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Navigate Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Living and Raw Foods below:

Search Amazon.com for:

Eat more raw fruits and vegetables

Living and Raw Foods Button
© 1998 Living-Foods.com
All Rights Reserved

USE OF THIS SITE SIGNIFIES YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE DISCLAIMER.

Privacy Policy Statement

Eat more Raw Fruits and Vegetables